SteveGardener

Mobster's UK Muscle Log

Monday

Apparently the weather prevents some people getting about. Here in Gloucester it has snowed but nothing like what I am seeing on TV.

Anyway, I gave the old one hand lift a go over doing one hand deadlifts (for the up-coming British). As can be seen I could have done with something thicker to stand on to make me get my hips down low. The balance, naturally, is a darn site easier than a Olympic bar which is my reason for doing it as a means of building the power without the damage a hook grip gives ya. It still made the skin sore but no tears.

One hand lifts

60-kilos x 3 reps @, 120-kilos x 3 reps @, 180-kilos x 1 rep @, 220-kilos x 1 rep @, stood on 15-kilo plates (35mm or so) and did 180-kilos x 1 rep @, doubled the plates for more height so now 70mm and did 1 rep @ and 2 reps @.

I'll alternate this and one hand deadlifts. I'll also use our 4-inch and 6-inch wooden blocks as mentioned above for proper depth.

NB: for whatever reason had some nice local protein sales this weekend. Sweet.

There are some on youtube including my world record lift of 330-kilos. But the competition style allows you to lock the hand against the thigh so more of a 'one hand hip and thigh'. Today's was with the hand well away from the body.

As I say working a one hand barbell deadlift but without worrying about getting the bar balanced.

I train either in Gymnation in Alfred Street (where I was this morning) or in my gym in our supplement warehouse in Hopewell Street (opp my house he he). We do a lot of strongman training there (Laurence Shahlaei and others train there for BSM and WSM). Indeed we should be getting some power stairs there soon.

A pic of part of the gym: dscf3236zk0.jpg

Monday pm

Note to self, talking post training is ok. Chewing Si's ear off... for hours is not! I can't believe the time having just got back. Nice but much later than I thought.

Plate Wrist Curl

Weights quoted are plates only and do not include set up weight as well.

B/H: 5-kilos x 6 reps @, 7.5-kilos x 3 reps @, 10-kilos x 3 reps @, 12.5-kilos x 3 reps @

L/H: another 12.5-kilos x 3 reps, 13.75-kilos x 3 reps, 15-kilos x 3 r/pause reps

R/H: 15-kilo (plate) x 3 reps, 15-kilo and medium weight loading pin (1.9-kilos) x 2 iffy as hell reps, changed to lighter pin (1.6) so 15-kilos plus pin x 3 r/pause reps :D

Formulator reverse wrist curl

2.75-kilos loaded x 10 reps, 5.5-kilos x 6 reps, 8.25-kilos x 6 reps, and a tough 8.75-kilos x 6 reps

NB: not super setted this time unlike last two times.

NBB 4 UKM: I can link to photos and or videos of the exercises and equip if need be.

Tuesday

Trained after errands (always Tues) with H, Lozza and Ant.

Seated BB press

(changed from log to see where I am at)

bar x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 6 reps, 100-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

s/setted on heavy set with

EZ curls

still getting a tweak in the right elbow if I don't fully turn my right hand inwards

bar + 20-kilos x 8 reps, plus 40-kilos x 8 reps, plus 42.5-kilos x 2 x 6 reps

s/setted on heavy sets with

TPD

30-kilos x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 8 reps, 82.5-kilos x 2 x 8 reps (85 next time)

2HP

Would have normally done this another time but Loz (Laurence Shahlaei, name dropping slag ain't I? LOL, was up for some so)

towel over

set up (21.7-kilos) plus 30-kilos x 3 easy reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 0 reps, took towel off and did plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 1 rep, plus 84.5 (106.2 total) x 4 x 1 and 2 missed reps. Skin at base of thumbs still sore so last few attempts were with small squares of tissue on minor tears.

Tuesday pm

Torsion Grippers

usual warmups

L/H: CoC 3 x 1 rep, BE x VN, VVN, VVN dropped down to CoC 3 x 8 x 1 reps all solid.

R/H: CoC 3 x 1 rep, HG350 x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1 rep, BBSE x 1 rep, E4 x 1 rep, 4.01 rated 4 x VN, VN, dropped back to E4 x 1 rep, dropped down to BBSE x 8 x 1 reps

The occasional normal stuff gets dropped in. Today was legs but, as per, there has be something else in there too:

Wednesday

Leg Press

0-kilos x 10 reps a leg, then 0-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 10 reps, 80-kilos x 20 reps, 120-kilos x 30 reps, 200-kilos x 40 reps (ouch!!).

I've changed from 750-kilos for reps to a high volume, massive pumping style for a few weeks. Really had me wanting to lay down after.

One hand lift set up / test for height

90-kilos easy. See photo. I might take the height up a little.

dscf3428ml2.jpg

Leg Curl

25-kilos x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps, 50-kilos x 5+1+1 rep

Friday am

Too busy talking a possible new guy into training with us so session took longer than it should... but was still ok.

Gymnation

Chest/Back

Pec Dec

25 x 12 reps, 35 x 10 reps, stack x 2 x 8 reps

s/setted with

Pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack plus 22.5-kilos x 6 reps

My gym

Low row

50-kilos x 8 reps, 70-kilos x 8 reps, 110-kilos x 2 x 8 reps

Friday PM

No sign of DHL :(

Vulcan Gripper

Paul's machine

Usual warm ups

L/H: L13 x 1 (mis-load as it was meant to be 12), L14 x VVN, 1, VVN, 1, 1, L15 x VVN, 1, VVN, 1 VN was done.

R/H: L14 x 1, L16 x 1, L17 x 1, 1, 1, L18 x miss, 1, 1, VN, 1, L19 x VN, VN done.

That's the idea. Some of the lads have warmed up today by clearing the ice of our yard so they can do farmers walk.

Saturday

Plate wrist curl

B/H: 5-kilos x 6 reps @, 7.5-kilos x 3 reps @, 10-kilos x 3 reps @

L/H: 11.25-kilos x 3 rep, 12.5-kilos x 3 reps, 13.75-kilos x 3 reps, 15-kilos x 3 x 3 reps (on set up)

R/H: failed 2-3 times using 15-kilo plate (!) so 15-kilo (on set up) 3 x 3 reps

Formulator

2.75-kilos x 10 reps, 5.5-kilos x 10 reps, 8.25-kilos x 6 reps, 8.5-kilos x 6, 6, 8 reps (mad hard and got a nasty pump)

Baby Inch for time

L/H: 50-seconds

R/H: 60-seconds

Nice pump!

Its refreshing to see this kind of journal being kept. Brings another angle to the forum which can only be a good thing Very interesting mate, I shall keep an eye on this.

Good to have you here. Keep it up.

GHS

Here's one as per my comment above. We had some lads down today from Devon (or up cos it's down ha ha) and between us we cleared a path through the snow outside with brooms, shovels and some salt so they could do heavy farmers walks.

paththroughthesnowfu8.jpg

Its refreshing to see this kind of journal being kept. Brings another angle to the forum which can only be a good thing Very interesting mate, I shall keep an eye on this.

Good to have you here. Keep it up.

GHS

Cheers. It was packed out as it was. One of the regulars was injured (who isn't!!) but came to chew the fat with da boyz as it were and another brought a buddy with them. Having had them all go at 3pm 'ish, another has just arrived for a late one.

Sunday

One hand lift

The idea behind this is working my strength 'in the hole' for the one hand deadlift in the upcoming British Championships. I'll be alternating it with the actual lift (need to toughen up the thumb for the hook grip and work on technique).

Photo of set up/part of the gym: dscf3439uj7.jpg

B/H: 40-kilos x 6 reps, 90-kilos x 3 reps, 130-kilos x 1 rep, 150-kilos x 1 rep, 170-kilos x 1 rep, 190-kilos x 1 rep and 200-kilos x fail (only tried right hand and stopped because I thought I might hurt myself or 'touch cloth' ahem).

Monday

So-so training day. Popped into the Health Trainer office for a chat then worked out (orders all packed yesterday).

Tor' Grippers

Could be a tad better.

L/H: CoC 3 x VN, VVN, 1, BBGM x 1 (easy) BBE x N, VVn, VVN, N, VN

R/H: BBE x 1 rep, HG350 x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1 rep, BBSE x 1, 1 easy rep, my 4 x N, N, 4.01 rated 4 x N, VVN.

2HP

set up x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x miss, x 1 rep, plus 82.5-kilos x off floor but not enough, x miss. Stopped.

Monday pm

One hand pinch

Using 2 x 15-kilo Alex plates at about 50mm total thickness and with an eye on the US event I might take part in I did the following:

30-kilos (plates only) from floor to block and back 3 reps @ hand.

30-kilos and medium weight pin + 5-kilo disc x 2 reps (negs/two hands up one hand down). This was a little too much too soon so.

L/H: 30-kilos + pin x 3, x 3 and then 3 half off the floor attempts

R/H: 30-kilos + pin + 2.5-kilos x 3 x 3 reps, then an additional 1.25-kilos x 3 reps, then another 1.25-kilos (so 30+pin+5) x 1 solid rep and then I wad done.

The target is a pair of slim'ish 45lb plates or 2 x 20-kilo plates.