Sign in to follow this  
RandyUK

Improvements/Advice on current regime?

I am unsure if this is the overall best place to submit this thread but it seemed appropriate as gaining weight is my end goal, however, I do have other questions too.

Currently I am 19 years of age, 54KG and would like to bulk up for my first time. I have been working out for a few months and I have definitely seen improvements. However, only recently started using Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass as I couldn't eat enough due to a small appetite. (I take one scoop daily, 633 calories.) I am currently getting around 3000 calories a day on average. Okay, know you have that information, onto the main question. (Oh, I also have only been working out from home with my Bench Press and Dumbbells + pull up bar.)

Here is my current workout routine which I have been doing:

MONDAY: SHOULDERS, BACK & TRICEPS.

Seated DB Shoulder Press. 3 set of 8 reps.

Close Grip Bench. 3 sets of 8 reps.

Dumbbell Standing Lateral Raises. 3 sets of 15 reps.

Pull ups. 3 sets of 12 to 10 reps.

WEDNESDAY: LEGS. (I find leg day very hard and after only 3 sets of my Split Squats, it makes me feel quite nauseous and tend to cut my leg day short. However, I am still noticing some growth.) 

Bulgarian Split Squats. 3 sets of 15.

FRIDAY: CHEST & ARMS.

Flat Bench Press. 3 sets of 12.

Flat Bench DB Press. 3 sets of 12.

Standing DB Curls. 3 sets of 12/10/8.

Single Arm Bench Supported Row. 3 sets of 12 each arm.

So I am noticing muscle growth and certainly slowly putting on size. The calories is still the hardest thing for me as the mass gainer has to be drunk over a couple hours or it puts me to sleep lol. Would it be more beneficial for me to change this workout routine and start hitting muscle groups more than once a week and if so, what routines should I be following? Given my limited equipment. Any other tips or ideas would be appreciated also.

In my opinion you can't get bigger without getting stronger and you can't get stronger without getting bigger. As you move on with your lifting career there are differences between how you train for strength (training neurual pathways and CNS) to how you train for pure hypertrophy - however I always recommend beginners start out on a strength based program regardless of goals - once you've built up a foundation of strength in the big lifts you can move on to hypertrophy specific programs.

To that end I recommend looking up starting strength, fierce 5 or 5x5 strong lifts - focus on bench press, OHP, squat and deadlift with some accessory work as well. 

In terms of diet; its more important that the training TBH - id personally f**k off the weight gainers and get your kcals from solid nutritious foods. Fruit, veg, meat, dairy and grains will see you right 

2 hours ago, Uptonogood said:

In my opinion you can't get bigger without getting stronger and you can't get stronger without getting bigger. As you move on with your lifting career there are differences between how you train for strength (training neurual pathways and CNS) to how you train for pure hypertrophy - however I always recommend beginners start out on a strength based program regardless of goals - once you've built up a foundation of strength in the big lifts you can move on to hypertrophy specific programs.

To that end I recommend looking up starting strength, fierce 5 or 5x5 strong lifts - focus on bench press, OHP, squat and deadlift with some accessory work as well. 

In terms of diet; its more important that the training TBH - id personally f**k off the weight gainers and get your kcals from solid nutritious foods. Fruit, veg, meat, dairy and grains will see you right 

I tried hitting the calories with just eating but my appetite is awful, I can reach 2400 max on a good day from eating foods. The mass gainer helps me get that 600 to take me to 3000 goal each day. Will focus more on the 5x5 strong lifts for majority of my exercises thanks. You think the workout regime I posted is good to stick with for putting on mass then? No need for a change?

15 hours ago, RandyUK said:

I tried hitting the calories with just eating but my appetite is awful, I can reach 2400 max on a good day from eating foods. The mass gainer helps me get that 600 to take me to 3000 goal each day. Will focus more on the 5x5 strong lifts for majority of my exercises thanks. You think the workout regime I posted is good to stick with for putting on mass then? No need for a change?

In my opinion no, I don't think that's optimal for a beginner to add mass. But everyone responds differently. Diet is more important than training though 

On 6/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Uptonogood said:

In my opinion no, I don't think that's optimal for a beginner to add mass. But everyone responds differently. Diet is more important than training though 

Have you got any tips and or new workout regimes I can follow instead? What should I be doing differently for maximum mass gains? Should I be hitting the same muscle groups more than once a week? If so how can I find an appropriate regime? 

Have you got any tips and or new workout regimes I can follow instead? What should I be doing differently for maximum mass gains? Should I be hitting the same muscle groups more than once a week? If so how can I find an appropriate regime? 

14 minutes ago, RandyUK said:

Look up fierce 5 - it has beginner, intermediate and advanced patterns. Start on beginner which is a 2 day work out - just work it 3 days a week (work out a on Monday, b on Wednesday, a again on Friday then start on b the following monday).

The workout instructs you how to progress adding weight and/or reps on the main sets. When you are no longer adding weight/reps on the beginner pattern move to the intermediate pattern. Do that over 18 months and you'll have a good foundation of strength, conditioning and size to move onto an intermediate hypertrophy based workout.

You need structure, progressive overload and diet