Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat12

Why I can't focus

since I was very young I noticed that I have a problem with concentration to finish any task that must be so easy to finish I take too much time to finish it, and I used to study in public places like coffees or libraries because I feel more able to concentrate on my tasks when I am surrounded by strangers.

but now after corona lockdown and online education I feel my situation became much worse I literally can't finish any task by myself as long as my cell phone and laptop are with me I will spend 10 minutes on silly things for each minute spent on my task my efficiency in working now is at its worst. 

I generally hate using drugs I believe life adjustments are always the true solution and drugs just replace a problem with another one, but do you advise me otherwise? 

Would a drug like fluvoxamine or any another drug used to treat people with OCD offer any real help? is it worth the sides?

7 hours ago, Gymrat12 said:

since I was very young I noticed that I have a problem with concentration to finish any task that must be so easy to finish I take too much time to finish it, and I used to study in public places like coffees or libraries because I feel more able to concentrate on my tasks when I am surrounded by strangers.

but now after corona lockdown and online education I feel my situation became much worse I literally can't finish any task by myself as long as my cell phone and laptop are with me I will spend 10 minutes on silly things for each minute spent on my task my efficiency in working now is at its worst. 

I generally hate using drugs I believe life adjustments are always the true solution and drugs just replace a problem with another one, but do you advise me otherwise? 

Would a drug like fluvoxamine or any another drug used to treat people with OCD offer any real help? is it worth the sides?

Go get an assessment with a medical professional so they can determine what course of appropriate support/treatment  is best for you.

Don’t be reliant on medication rectifying your issue/concern. 

Asking members of UKM gen con section is not sensible. 

54 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Go get an assessment with a medical professional so they can determine what course of appropriate support/treatment  is best for you.

Don’t be reliant on medication rectifying your issue/concern. 

Asking members of UKM gen con section is not sensible. 

There’s probably fcuk all wrong with him. 

9 hours ago, Gymrat12 said:

I literally can't finish any task by myself as long as my cell phone and laptop are with me I will spend 10 minutes on silly things for each minute spent on my task my efficiency in working now is at its worst. 

You solved your own problem. Yes, the internet is very addictive and always seems more interesting than that ‘thing you were going to do’. It’s designed to try and hold your interest for as long as it possibly can. That’s how the device and content makers make tons of money.

So the solution doesn’t require a doctor, or medicines, it requires a little bit of will power. Just switch off those devices and put them in a drawer whilst you do that thing you need to do.

9 hours ago, Gymrat12 said:

Modafinil would be a much better choice.

I suffer from the 'look a squirrel!' problem as well.

What helps for me is to buy small post it notes and to have my own little board visible behind the monitor, todo/in progress/done - write the tasks on the notes at the end of the day ready for the morning to look over again.

Physically moving tasks across the board  is not only satisfying but keeps you on task.

Another good tip is to buy a 20min hour glass. Start a task and flip the hour glass over and you are off! you can have a quick break at the end of the 20mins and then refocus and flip again. I guess it depends what works for you but for me I have to challenge myself to get things done. Even if I was doing something as mundane as cleaning the kitchen I will set the timer off and try and get it done in the 20mins.

We are all a little weird, you just got to work with the weirdness and not fight it.

3 hours ago, Kazza61 said:

You solved your own problem. Yes, the internet is very addictive and always seems more interesting than that ‘thing you were going to do’. It’s designed to try and hold your interest for as long as it possibly can. That’s how the device and content makers make tons of money.

So the solution doesn’t require a doctor, or medicines, it requires a little bit of will power. Just switch off those devices and put them in a drawer whilst you do that thing you need to do.

The problem is that I need them for finishing my tasks 

21 hours ago, Gymrat12 said:

I would advise against looking for a chemical solution.

As others have advised remove distractions, you are not giving yourself a chance by having your phone and or social media active on your laptop.

Concentration has to be learnt, you need to work at it , the solution lies within yourself.

Prioritise your tasks; what is most beneficial in the long run, your studies or amusing trivia on social media?  

Modafinil can improve concentration for someone who is already able to concentrate;  someone who is easily distracted will just end up doing more of nothing on it.