Sign in to follow this  
jimmydeen

Jobs - No Experience

Been out of work since last March. Does anyone know any jobs within London that are hiring without any experience? 

Tempted to even move out of London to be honest. 

If you've got the right mind set and a generally caring and helpful attitude, care work will give you a start and if you find you are suited to it (it's certainly not for everyone) there are opportunities to train and progress. It'll never make you spectacularly rich but you'll never starve either.

2 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

If you've got the right mind set and a generally caring and helpful attitude, care work will give you a start and if you find you are suited to it (it's certainly not for everyone) there are opportunities to train and progress. It'll never make you spectacularly rich but you'll never starve either.

Care work for elderly or vulnerable people? Don't you need qualifications for that?

I'm not into materialism to be honest and will not be having kids so money won't be an issue.

Just now, jimmydeen said:

Care work for elderly or vulnerable people? Don't you need qualifications for that?

I'm not into materialism to be honest and will not be having kids so money won't be an issue.

Not necessarily. For support work roles experience can be helpful but can also be fudged a bit ("used to look after your Nana" etc) and obviously need to be clear of offences. Options include work in care homes, hospitals and supporting people in the community with mental health or learning disabilities. Lots of jobs on Indeed and on NHS.jobs. You might find you enjoy it and often lots of opportunities for overtime. 

7 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

Not really, my kids both walked into care jobs straight out of school.

You will have to do a fair bit of training after starting though, anything from moving and handling to restraint techniques.

Older one is now working for the NHS in a High Dependency Psychiatric Ward a few years down the line. Money and prospects tend to be better with NHS but is no picnic, patents are the ones the private care sector can't handle/don't want.

6 minutes ago, ByTheNumbers said:

Not really, my kids both walked into care jobs straight out of school.

You will have to do a fair bit of training after starting though, anything from moving and handling to restraint techniques.

Older one is now working for the NHS in a High Dependency Psychiatric Ward a few years down the line. Money and prospects tend to be better with NHS but is no picnic, patents are the ones the private care sector can't handle/don't want.

Yeah i'm not sure it's for me mate. Restraining and unpredictable people...

14 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

Older people or general hospital may be more suited to you. 

1 minute ago, Kazza61 said:

Older people or general hospital may be more suited to you. 

How long does it take to get used to the old people smell?

Maybe care work isn't for me in general :( 

20 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

Like I said, those are ones, the private sector don't want.

Care Homes, Care in the Community is less extreme. My younger daughter works in Sheltered Housing and spends most of her time cooking with them, playing games, going for walks, going to the Pub to play darts/pool etc.

Some of them even need to be taken to the gym.

Edit: They are not all old, some just can't cope on their own. 

26 minutes ago, ByTheNumbers said:

Older one is now working for the NHS in a High Dependency Psychiatric Ward a few years down the line. 

I was on the working group that developed the service specifications for the original Psychiatric High Dependency and Psychiatric Intensive Care Units. I'd previously been a manger of a locked unit in a big 2000 bed hospital and then went on to open and manage an interconnected HDU / PICU. That was early on in my career. Happy days.  

14 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

How long does it take to get used to the old people smell?

Maybe care work isn't for me in general :( 

Home Bargains for you it is....

1 hour ago, Kazza61 said:

Not necessarily. For support work roles experience can be helpful but can also be fudged a bit ("used to look after your Nana" etc) and obviously need to be clear of offences. Options include work in care homes, hospitals and supporting people in the community with mental health or learning disabilities. Lots of jobs on Indeed and on NHS.jobs. You might find you enjoy it and often lots of opportunities for overtime. 

Do you work for the NHS? What are the chances of getting a job with them with previous convictions 

4 minutes ago, Simon90 said:

Do you work for the NHS? What are the chances of getting a job with them with previous convictions 

To be honest, it will depend what it is. With these sorts of things it's better to get in front of it, declare it and offer to discuss it at interview. I have appointed people in the past who have shoplifted, assaulted a police officer and caused death by dangerous driving. Not that this is a blanket thing of course but each of those people went out of their way to demonstrate how it was a one-off, that they had changed, had a lengthy period of non-offending after the offence and could evidence having moved into a more constructive phase in their life. 

I'm not going to lie to you and say it doesn't matter and that they would definitely take you. I'm just saying that if all other factors line up, it can be done. 

I wish you all the best with it. 

5 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

To be honest, it will depend what it is. With these sorts of things it's better to get in front of it, declare it and offer to discuss it at interview. I have appointed people in the past who have shoplifted, assaulted a police officer and caused death by dangerous driving. Not that this is a blanket thing of course but each of those people went out of their way to demonstrate how it was a one-off, that they had changed, had a lengthy period of non-offending after the offence and could evidence having moved into a more constructive phase in their life. 

I'm not going to lie to you and say it doesn't matter and that they would definitely take you. I'm just saying that if all other factors line up, it can be done. 

Cheers for that mate I appreciate it :thumbup1:

20 minutes ago, EpicSquats said:

Construction labourer? Just past your health and safety test and start phoning the agencies.

Thought about construction but I'd rather move somewhere nice and hot to do that. The thought of doing it in the pissing rain and freezing cold weather wouldn't want me to get out of bed. Plus all that grafting surely must impact on making gainzzzzz?

10 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Could you get me in? No convictions at all. I'm a good lad 

4 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

Could you get me in? No convictions at all. I'm a good lad 

But you can't deal with old people smells....

12 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

Thought about construction but I'd rather move somewhere nice and hot to do that. The thought of doing it in the pissing rain and freezing cold weather wouldn't want me to get out of bed. Plus all that grafting surely must impact on making gainzzzzz?

No offence brother but this kinda attitude sounds like why youve been out of work for so long lol, if you want an easy job go and do some picking/packing in a warehouse, they'll be plenty of Eastern European birds to indulge in and that more than makes up for the shitty wage imo lol

1 minute ago, Simon90 said:

No offence brother but this kinda attitude sounds like why youve been out of work for so long lol, if you want an easy job go and do some picking/packing in a warehouse, they'll be plenty of Eastern European birds to indulge in and that more than makes up for the shitty wage imo lol

Tell me more... :o

3 minutes ago, Simon90 said:

And no offence taken at all mate. I'm aware that I'm a lazy bastard. Luckily i'm in a position where I could sit on my ass all day but I wanna move out and be independant. I'm a big boy now!