Sign in to follow this  
BUFFMAN

How often do you call in sick at work?

Once a year at the absolute most for me, and even then it's only if I have an upset stomach or flu, and even then it's not usually more than two days.  Never take the piss or anything like that! Only time was when I was a teenager (about 17) I called in sick for a whole week because I'd just got the original XBox with Halo. Was working at a right dump then packing sausage rolls into boxes, getting treated like dirt.  So sod em! They deserved it.

I'm a grown man now with three kids now, so wouldn't dream of doing anything like that these days.

Probably once every few years. Although randomly bailed on my on-call shift this weekend because of car problems, and not being able to get a hire car last minute through the usual routes because of covid. 

Did manage ten years without a day off.

Late terns Early 20s used to dip work a lot was too busy partying for 3 days at a time...Now,very rare i skip a day got a wife and 2 kids to support been to work with a full on fever,shits for 5 days once and still went,last year trapped nerve in lower back had me layed up for 2 days on the 3rd day fell out of bed took 5 minutes to get my socks on and went to work gotta keep that money coming in.

I was shocked when i started my current job that they don't pay sick pay. I'd done my hamstring in deadlifting so phoned in sick. Got asked "how'd you want this, holiday or unpaid?".  Couldn't believe it at the time, i'd worked at much bigger places (ie Rover being one) where you just got paid, no worries. In my last job i had 5 weeks off with pneumonia, i think 7 weeks after a hernia op.  Since being in this job, i think other than the hamstring day off i've only had a couple of days off in 5 years.

3 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Usually twice a year for 2-4 weeks at a time. I get full sick pay 6 weeks a year so use it like extra holidays as most others do. 

Haha. I take it you're not trying to get promoted? 

Honestly can’t remember. Only being off due to mum, then eldest sister dying - 2yrs ago. 
Went to the doctors many moons ago…

Dr. “we haven’t seen you for a while (10yrs) why’s that?”

Me: “…er, haven’t been ill”

I don't even work anymore, I just move around cash in crypto, though it feels like you never have a day off. Most nights i can't even sleep without checking the numbers with my  phone

8 hours ago, Tricky said:

Usually twice a year for 2-4 weeks at a time. I get full sick pay 6 weeks a year so use it like extra holidays as most others do. 

I like to use it once a year at least for a good week. I get 4 years full sick pay 

15 hours ago, jimmydeen said:

Haha. I take it you're not trying to get promoted? 

I don’t think you can be rejected promotion on the basics of a bad back one year, Covid the next, family stress the other. 

Posted (edited)

Twice a year but only for 2 days max. Enough to enjoy, not enough to cause promotion/disciplinary issues.

a guy I work with is regularly signed off for months at a time, so me being ill for 2 days every 6-8 months isn’t an issue in comparison.

Edited by faipdeooiad

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

I don’t think you can be rejected promotion on the basics of a bad back one year, Covid the next, family stress the other. 

If i was your boss you will be first one going out :thumb

10 hours ago, Frandeman said:

If i was your boss you will be first one going out :thumb

Good luck with that. On what grounds? 

On 03/05/2021 at 7:49 PM, Tricky said:

19 hours ago, Tricky said:

And this is why so many companies resort to using zero hour contracts or offer the bare minimum in terms of sick pay or benefits.

What a terrible attitude to have towards gainful employment.

1 hour ago, Blanka said:

And this is why so many companies resort to using zero hour contracts or offer the bare minimum in terms of sick pay or benefits.

Often referred to as work shy cunts

Got to ask yourself, would I employ that person? 

3 hours ago, Blanka said:

And to think the public pay my wages 

1 hour ago, G-man99 said:

Often referred to as work shy cunts

Got to ask yourself, would I employ that person? 

Serious question tho how would you know. As a potential future employer you won’t have access to my health records and couldn’t see when I’ve been off? 

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Serious question tho how would you know. As a potential future employer you won’t have access to my health records and couldn’t see when I’ve been off? 

I'm not on about actual records etc, just in the sense that would you employ you knowing that you take the piss?

More about the moral aspect

In 3 years at my current employer I have phone in sick once, some people I do work with take the piss though. The new excuse is having the jab so you automatically get 2 days off work afterwards 

7 minutes ago, Fortis said:

In 3 years at my current employer I have phone in sick once, some people I do work with take the piss though. The new excuse is having the jab so you automatically get 2 days off work afterwards 

Quite a few in my place done that over the last few weeks. You know which ones will have time off even before they have the jab