Sign in to follow this  
G-man99

Female PCO diet help

Any recommendations for someone to devise a diet plan for a female who has polycystic ovary syndrome?

She has tried eating in a deficit, keto, 5/2 etc but has minimal success

Generally eats good whole foods most of the week and at weekend will have 1 or 2 more regular meals, not necessarily cheat meals. 

Does (did whilst gym was open) spin 3 x week 

She is going to start adding in resistance training. 

Don't want no stupid answers that just say eat less, move more etc as it's not as simple as that unfortunately 

After specific diet advice or recommendations on a good nutritionist

From knowing someone personally with this syndrome I can only suggest what has worked for them. It’s a good idea to keep a good log, as some foods may trigger things. If that makes sense.

Basically it’s a very healthy diet. Cut all refined carbs and sugars. You’ll also want to avoid such things like red meat. Base the diet around vegetables high in fibre and foods that act as anti inflammatory. There are lists online. Things like tomatoes, berries. I can’t think of the list, but there are lots to choose from. Fats should come from the usual good sources.

Its all about finding foods that you/she likes. Unfortunately “cheat meals” or whatever you call them can cause a lot of issues. I base my whole diet around it(in my log). Personally don’t have any conditions but I have found it great for health.

So:

High fibre food from veg, berries

Try and limit tonnes of fruit but obviously some is good. Kind of eat like your a bit diabetic

Eat lean white meat and avoid red. Fish is great.

Avoid processed foods, sugar etc. 

No point in someone telling you what you must eat, rather it’s best to have the options infront of them and create a diet you can stick to and enjoy.

And obviously living an active lifestyle and being a “healthy” weight will help.

:thumbup1:

The less processed it is the better and cut out bread in my wife’s experience. She has to be careful as she’s a cancer patient as you are aware. If you don’t eat bread it’s harder than you might think to eat too many carbs. My Mrs eats loads of baked potatoes 

On 01/05/2021 at 9:00 AM, Sasnak said:

The less processed it is the better and cut out bread in my wife’s experience. She has to be careful as she’s a cancer patient as you are aware. If you don’t eat bread it’s harder than you might think to eat too many carbs. My Mrs eats loads of baked potatoes 

She doesn't eat hardly any processed foods and bread would be maybe once a week at a weekend with either PB on toast or a bacon sandwich. 

No more than 1500 calories a day and it's all whole foods, and lean protein sources. 

Very frustrating for her as you can imagine

@Sasnak

@DACTT 

@Bensif would you add any information to this mate?

Weekends are more relaxed but again nothing reckless

It’s not great but it’s just something you have to manage. Unfortunately having the odd bit off processed food (white bread is a bad one) will cause inflammation and grief. Your/her body is ultra sensitive to those things. It’s not so much calories you need to look at (although you don’t want to over eat). You need to learn how to experiment with food to make it so it’s not a chore. I takes a while. Although the meat may be lean, it needs to come from specific sources as unfortunately certain proteins will cause problems.

If you sling in google, “anti inflammatory foods” you’ll get a good list. Will probably give you the Mediterranean diet. 

4 hours ago, G-man99 said:

I can’t add anything else I’m afraid, other than most of the online calculators seem to be way out. They are supposed to factor in age but when you are 40 (iirc she hits this milestone soon) base metabolic rate according to the calculators can be lower than suggested. I’m eating about 1750 a day at the moment and that’s my maintenance. I weigh 16 stone. I’m 48, I do a sedentary job and I’m running 5k 3 times a week. Haven’t been back to the gym yet. For me I just don’t need the calories I needed 20 years ago. 1500 might be too many for a 40 y/o female if you look at my stats.

10 hours ago, G-man99 said:

She doesn't eat hardly any processed foods and bread would be maybe once a week at a weekend with either PB on toast or a bacon sandwich. 

No more than 1500 calories a day and it's all whole foods, and lean protein sources. 

Very frustrating for her as you can imagine

@Sasnak

@DACTT 

@Bensif would you add any information to this mate?

Weekends are more relaxed but again nothing reckless

I see everyone talking about food choices... but I assume the problem here is that she is actually struggling to lose weight, right?

To confirm, how was the PCOS diagnosed? Did she have a non-invasive or invasive endoscopy?

Have you had her thyroid panel checked along side calcium, vitamin d and folate?

Height and weight?

8 hours ago, Bensif said:

I see everyone talking about food choices... but I assume the problem here is that she is actually struggling to lose weight, right?

To confirm, how was the PCOS diagnosed? Did she have a non-invasive or invasive endoscopy?

Have you had her thyroid panel checked along side calcium, vitamin d and folate?

Height and weight?

Will reply privately mate. 

Thank you :thumbup1: