Ares

Any ex-smokers on here?

For how long were you a smoker, and what type (heavy/mild/social etc)? How many attempts did it take to break the habit? And do you miss it at all? 

Caught a whiff of someone's cig earlier and it was rank, smelled like really cheap pouch baccy. Prompted me to check my tracker and I've not smoked for six months and a day today, so f**k yeah :beer: This is the longest I haven't lit up for 11 years or thereabouts, I picked it up in my early 20s and started really light but progressively worked up to about 20 a day. I still get the occasional pang for one but its easy to move past it now and I know that it'd taste like s**t anyway. 

First tried it at 7 years old. Was smoking roll ups about 9. Caught with cigarettes at primary school. Smoked until 2013 then stopped. 

For a few months I'd buy 10 cigs if I went drinking and save whatever I had left until the next time then one day out drinking I lit one and couldn't smoke it. Was disgusting. 

Haven't touched one since but always have dreams that I've started smoking again and proper worried about how I'd quit. 

Smoked for many years on and off (far more on than off). I was brilliant at giving up - did it literally hundreds of times. Then about 17 or 18 years ago, I was working on the computer at home in a little spare bedroom on a project that took all day. I was virtually chain smoking throughout and at the end of the day I had such a terrible headache. Could have been anything but I reckoned it was the fags and decided I wouldn't smoke the next day. Then at the end of the next day I thought, well if I haven't smoked today, why would I smoke tomorrow? And that was it, I was done - never missed them, never wanted them again. I think I had made myself so sick of them that day the thought of them repelled me a little bit. 

They say after 15 years of not smoking your body is as good as a person who never smoked. I got cancer 15 years after I gave up - although luckily it got sorted. 

2 hours ago, epons400 said:

Never smoked ,bud good on you for quitting 

Thanks hun

2 hours ago, MrBrightside said:

First tried it at 7 years old. Was smoking roll ups about 9. Caught with cigarettes at primary school. Smoked until 2013 then stopped. 

For a few months I'd buy 10 cigs if I went drinking and save whatever I had left until the next time then one day out drinking I lit one and couldn't smoke it. Was disgusting. 

Haven't touched one since but always have dreams that I've started smoking again and proper worried about how I'd quit. 

Roll ups by 9, christ! A mate of mine stopped his habitual smoking and now employs the whole.. buying a pack for the night out and not bothering otherwise. No idea how he manages as I'd want to just keep going I think

1 hour ago, Kazza61 said:

Smoked for many years on and off (far more on than off). I was brilliant at giving up - did it literally hundreds of times. Then about 17 or 18 years ago, I was working on the computer at home in a little spare bedroom on a project that took all day. I was virtually chain smoking throughout and at the end of the day I had such a terrible headache. Could have been anything but I reckoned it was the fags and decided I wouldn't smoke the next day. Then at the end of the next day I thought, well if I haven't smoked today, why would I smoke tomorrow? And that was it, I was done - never missed them, never wanted them again. I think I had made myself so sick of them that day the thought of them repelled me a little bit. 

They say after 15 years of not smoking your body is as good as a person who never smoked. I got cancer 15 years after I gave up - although luckily it got sorted. 

I have seen you mention the cancer before but never inquired any further, seeing as this is a smoking thread though.. what type was it mate? Glad you got it sorted, it's too rare to hear about someone beating it.

A few months ago I briefly talked about the mrs' dad having lung cancer, he has since passed. He wasn't a smoker but he told me to stay away from them and I will - I think it's more of a nostalgia thing with my pangs, opposed to an actual nicotine hit. 

Started around 10 years old and smoked a few days until mid-teens when got heavily addicted. Started smoking pot as well. Swapped to vaping at 27ish and gave up pot around 18 months ago.

Still vape - would like to give it up but I'm a nicotine addict. To be honest with all the chems I bunged in my body during my teens/early 20s is amazing I didn't end up addicted to something much worse so I'll count myself lucky its just wanky vape juice:lol:

Oh and I still miss certain smokes - my favourite tobacco was Sampson or drum. Still love the smell of a dark Dutch tobacco. 

And I miss smoking whilst on my motorcycle. Nothing is a smooth as puffing at 50mph!

35 minutes ago, Ares said:

Thanks hun

Roll ups by 9, christ! A mate of mine stopped his habitual smoking and now employs the whole.. buying a pack for the night out and not bothering otherwise. No idea how he manages as I'd want to just keep going I think

I have seen you mention the cancer before but never inquired any further, seeing as this is a smoking thread though.. what type was it mate? Glad you got it sorted, it's too rare to hear about someone beating it.

A few months ago I briefly talked about the mrs' dad having lung cancer, he has since passed. He wasn't a smoker but he told me to stay away from them and I will - I think it's more of a nostalgia thing with my pangs, opposed to an actual nicotine hit. 

Mine was head and neck cancer (tongue and neck in my case) and smoking is one of the major causes. Having said that, after 15 years of no smoking they felt that wasn't the issue with mine. They very scientifically and medically, described the cause of mine as "just bad luck". Having said that, just to be on the safe side, I'll never smoke again. 

Smoked for about 10 odd years in all. Started off socially and ended up getting havier and heavier as the years went on.

I smoked cigarettes for about 5 or 6 years, and then ended up swapping to vaping. Which while great at stopping me from smoking cigarettes, I ended up vaping for about 5 odd years.

It was only when covid rolled around early 2020 I decided that now was the time to give up for good. I gave up for a good 6 months and then ended up slipping.

Few months later (November) I decided to kick it again. So far, I have been smoke and vape free since November.

I don't miss it at all and I've reached that point now where the smell disgusts me. That said though, I still get the odd craving from time to time but it's easy to ignore.

Smoked heavy for over 20 years. Tried a few times to stop and failed. Then I dumped the then girlfriend and bought my own place 6 years ago and never touched a single one since. Present girlfriend smokes but it doesn’t bother me.

1 hour ago, AncientOldBloke said:

Smoked from 16-18

Smoked from 27-28

Smoked from 56-57 (3 months of last year)

Sounds like one those annoying job application questions. The next in the pattern would be 67-78? 

Smoked from 18 to 32, ending up about 20-30 a day.  Tried so many times to quit using everything.  The final thing that helped was the book "Alan Carr's the easy way to quit smoking". Finished that and haven't touch one since, nearly 9 years.  No cravings what so ever, right from the minute I finished the book. It doesn't require will power!!

I was sceptical but I was desperate to quit and was beginning to feel hopeless as I'd tried everything else.

Smoked ciggies and dope from 12 until about 27. Gave up the cigs but still smoked pot for a couple more years then I had a funny turn and a panic attack out of the blue after a couple of tokes on some homegrown and called it a day. Can't stand the smell of the stuff now.

Vaped for the past 6 years so still on the nicotine, but it's the lesser of the two evils and don't really see myself quitting anytime soon.

13-27 years old, been a non smoker now for 14 years which is about the same time I joined here.

I miss smoking so much!  Smoked 40 camel lights a day at one point 

Started around 8 or 9 pinching the old man's rolling tobacco,heavy smoker by early teens and moved onto weed around 13 as well abused the f**k out of that until I was 18 but carried on smoking..tried numerous times in my 20s to quit but always went back,now me and the wife been smoke free for 8 years now the main driving force for wanting to quit was to start a family so wanted to be in tip top health,still don't miss it to this day and saved a fortune.

I smoked from the age of 15-28. I was never addicted, just did it for a habit/something to do. One day I noticed a pain between my toes, quit smoking for a few days and the pain went away. Started smoking again after those few days and the pain came back. So I realized it must be the smoking. I quit completely without cutting down, just stopped that day. It felt weird for a few days, but like I say, I wasn't addicted. 

The idea of smoking now feels dirty and stupid, so I don't miss it.

Started smoking at 18, tried for 20+ years and every method available to quit, then discovered vaping in 2010 and finally did it.

Had a little relapse here and there but been smoke free for nearly 5 years now and don't miss it or even like the smell.

Don't intend to quit vaping as quite enjoy it and only on 6% nicotine so not too bad.

Started when I was about 11, found weed at 14 and just disappeared down the rabbit hole until I was about 20 when I got into the weighta and fitness lifestyle and dropped everything, cold turkey..... best decision ever.

......Although sometimes (rarely these days) when I dream, I smoke in my dreams! ...weird.

15 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

I think if youv done so well to not give in for this amount of time, then you never will smoke again probably. Iv never smoked not even to try at 33 years old 

I was on hol abroad when I decided (the booze decided) to try one for the first time, despite never being interested before. I remember saying how I was amazed they were legal, the rush I had man.. nearly fell out of my chair! Might have been compounded by the drink, but still - nicotine is a drug for sure

On 4/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, lancs_lad said:

Smoked from 18 to 32, ending up about 20-30 a day.  Tried so many times to quit using everything.  The final thing that helped was the book "Alan Carr's the easy way to quit smoking". Finished that and haven't touch one since, nearly 9 years.  No cravings what so ever, right from the minute I finished the book. It doesn't require will power!!

I was sceptical but I was desperate to quit and was beginning to feel hopeless as I'd tried everything else.

Allen Carr - The Easy Way To Stop Smoking.pdf