Gunt

Boxing and dealing with cracked ribs

I started boxing not too long ago and after 9 months the blokes who run my gym said I should get a bout pencilled in, so I upped the training from 3 days/week to 6 and started making decent progress.

During those 9 months I'd sparred quite a bit but a lot of it was jab sparring, or light sparring focussing on technique and footwork, or heavier sparring but with lads of a similar size and ability to me.

As soon as the bout was mentioned I started sparring a lot more and with people much better and often heavier than me. I got the usual cuts and bruises etc but all was ok for the first few weeks, then I broke my ribs and was out for almost 6 weeks. As soon as I recovered I was down there sparring again but within a month I'd broken my ribs again. I know obviously boxing isn't knitting and you're going to get hurt, but it's starting to feel like one step forwards and 3 steps back if I'm out of action so often and for so long.

Is this normal and if so is it just a case of persevering until I get good enough so I'm not getting my ribs broken so often?

On 23/04/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gunt said:

I started boxing not too long ago and after 9 months the blokes who run my gym said I should get a bout pencilled in, so I upped the training from 3 days/week to 6 and started making decent progress.

During those 9 months I'd sparred quite a bit but a lot of it was jab sparring, or light sparring focussing on technique and footwork, or heavier sparring but with lads of a similar size and ability to me.

As soon as the bout was mentioned I started sparring a lot more and with people much better and often heavier than me. I got the usual cuts and bruises etc but all was ok for the first few weeks, then I broke my ribs and was out for almost 6 weeks. As soon as I recovered I was down there sparring again but within a month I'd broken my ribs again. I know obviously boxing isn't knitting and you're going to get hurt, but it's starting to feel like one step forwards and 3 steps back if I'm out of action so often and for so long.

Is this normal and if so is it just a case of persevering until I get good enough so I'm not getting my ribs broken so often?

Have you had X rays to determine if the ribs are broken?

On 4/23/2021 at 8:59 PM, Gunt said:

I broke my ribs and was out for almost 6 weeks. As soon as I recovered I was down there sparring again but within a month I'd broken my ribs again

I’ve had a few digs in the ribs myself down the years, Rugby rather than Boxing. If you have cracked a couple then 6 weeks recovery time is nowhere near enough. If you broke your wrist it would be in plaster for at least this amount of time. Rib injuries can hurt for months on end. Unlike Rugby where you can get back to playing in the hope you won’t get smashed in the same area, I’d imagine you’d struggle to do this with Boxing given that you are guaranteed to get hit in the same area.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, DirtyWaffle said:

Have you had X rays to determine if the ribs are broken?

I went to hospital both times because I could hear (and feel) clicking when I breathed. They now only X-ray ribs if they think they're sticking out and both times after a pretty grim physical exam/listening with a stethoscope they said they were broken but that there was no danger of a punctured lung, so I just got told to rest, take pain killers and let time sort them out, which it eventually did (although I swear they still ache sometimes on cold, damp days!)

On 5/1/2021 at 6:44 PM, Sasnak said:

I’ve had a few digs in the ribs myself down the years, Rugby rather than Boxing. If you have cracked a couple then 6 weeks recovery time is nowhere near enough. If you broke your wrist it would be in plaster for at least this amount of time. Rib injuries can hurt for months on end. Unlike Rugby where you can get back to playing in the hope you won’t get smashed in the same area, I’d imagine you’d struggle to do this with Boxing given that you are guaranteed to get hit in the same area.

Maybe not then, I dunno I just started training again as soon as the pain had decreased enough and I'm sure the hospital said I'd be ok to start again after 6 weeks. Maybe it's lucky I didn't get hit again on that same side as the second time it was on the other side.

1 minute ago, Gunt said:

Maybe not then, I dunno I just started training again as soon as the pain had decreased enough and I'm sure the hospital said I'd be ok to start again after 6 weeks. Maybe it's lucky I didn't get hit again on that same side as the second time it was on the other side.

Don’t know then mate. Just keep at it. Brutal sport. Good luck with it

16 minutes ago, sean m said:

How old are you,  have you had many other broken bones in the past.  ?

38 so I'll likely only get one fight in before I'm too old, but it'd be good to have done it.

I've broken a few things but nothing major and no more than I'd have expected from the kind of stuff I've been doing over the years. Admittedly that was a while ago though. Are you thinking maybe brittle bones due to age?

17 hours ago, Gunt said:

38 so I'll likely only get one fight in before I'm too old, but it'd be good to have done it.

I've broken a few things but nothing major and no more than I'd have expected from the kind of stuff I've been doing over the years. Admittedly that was a while ago though. Are you thinking maybe brittle bones due to age?

That was what I was wondering,  

As broken ribs from sparing isn't that common, in my limited experience. 

A couple of mine got broken during mma sparing but from a body slam with me 70kg under a  115kg guy. 

Not seen many ribs damaged from punches at amateur level. 

4 hours ago, sean m said:

That was what I was wondering,  

As broken ribs from sparing isn't that common, in my limited experience. 

A couple of mine got broken during mma sparing but from a body slam with me 70kg under a  115kg guy. 

Not seen many ribs damaged from punches at amateur level. 

The first time it happened the guy was a former military super heavyweight title holder (I'm a light heavyweight at the mo but would likely fight at middleweight). The second time the lad was similar weight to me but sub 10% bodyfat to my 20% ish and with a pretty impressive unbeaten amateur record. I reckon both could have killed me if they'd really wanted to, particularly the first bloke.