Sign in to follow this  
strong_man20

Number of sets to failure for each exercise?

Just wondering how many heavy sets people do per exercise?  I do 1 heavy set to faliure which includes dropping the weight until I reach full exhaustion.

Don't do more than 3 exercises per body part and train each body part once a week.

Results are all in the small details so just interested how you guys increase intensity in your workouts?

before lockdown wrote off the past year, these were by effective peaking volumes, per mesocycle, for each "muscle group". these are working sets, as in "hard" ones taken to an RPE of 8 to 9 and then full concentric failure every set on week 6 which is peak volume week.

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Deload
Back 15 15 20 20 20 25 10
Chest 12 12 16 16 16 20 10
Front Delts 3 3 3 3 3 4  
Rear/Side Delts 9 9 12 12 12 15 6
Biceps 9 9 12 12 12 15 6
Triceps 6 6 8 8 8 10 4
Quads 12 12 16 16 16 20 8
Hams 15 15 18 18 18 21 10

I injured myself years ago pursuing what I think you are suggesting. That being Dorian Gates blood and guts type training. These days it’s a simple 4x8. I never go to fail. Everything I do, I could do another rep if someone held a gun to my head.

I go to failure only on the last set of each exercise.  I typically do 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart.

First set: Moderately easy

Second set: Hard

Third set: Really fcuking hard

I rarely do more than 3 sets.

Going to failure is really taxing on your central nervous system, and can also create more of a catabolic state if used too much. Best not to overdo it.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:45 PM, godsgifttoearth said:

before lockdown wrote off the past year, these were by effective peaking volumes, per mesocycle, for each "muscle group". these are working sets, as in "hard" ones taken to an RPE of 8 to 9 and then full concentric failure every set on week 6 which is peak volume week.

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Deload
Back 15 15 20 20 20 25 10
Chest 12 12 16 16 16 20 10
Front Delts 3 3 3 3 3 4  
Rear/Side Delts 9 9 12 12 12 15 6
Biceps 9 9 12 12 12 15 6
Triceps 6 6 8 8 8 10 4
Quads 12 12 16 16 16 20 8
Hams 15 15 18 18 18 21 10

I like this measured approach. Think I might use it.

Going to faliure Dorian Yates style is the approach I took during my early years of training and admittedly got real results. 

However I must admit how do you increase the intensity when you already went all out the week before?  

1 hour ago, strong_man20 said:

Going to faliure Dorian Yates style is the approach I took during my early years of training and admittedly got real results. 

However I must admit how do you increase the intensity when you already went all out the week before?  

i mean, this is fine if you're on high doses of gear.

but if youre natty, going to failure on every set is not optimal

you just dont have the recovery nor the CNS to reap the benefits of constantly going all out

to answer your question: how do you increase the intensity when you went all out the week before? you increase the weight!!!! thats the only way

if youre already performing at 100% right now, then all you can do is keep adding weight and continuing at 100%

i just hope youre on the juice, because if not you are going to crash REAL HARD

14 hours ago, Chicken_Boy said:

i mean, this is fine if you're on high doses of gear.

but if youre natty, going to failure on every set is not optimal

you just dont have the recovery nor the CNS to reap the benefits of constantly going all out

to answer your question: how do you increase the intensity when you went all out the week before? you increase the weight!!!! thats the only way

if youre already performing at 100% right now, then all you can do is keep adding weight and continuing at 100%

i just hope youre on the juice, because if not you are going to crash REAL HARD

Indeed I am although always appreciate hearing the approach taken by other members.  

When I train, I always get that sense I am cheating my self if I do not go to failure.

19 hours ago, strong_man20 said:

Indeed I am although always appreciate hearing the approach taken by other members.  

When I train, I always get that sense I am cheating my self if I do not go to failure.

I totally get it, because I used to feel that way.

But next week; just try something different. 1st set: stop a few reps short of failure. 2nd set: stop 1 rep short. 3rd/4th set: go ALL OUT

See how you feel then

Leaving a few reps in the tank on the first few sets is a tried and tested way of getting an incredible final set out

You can overtax the body by constantly going to failure. 

Promise me you will try what I recommended for 1 week, and then see how you feel after that :)

On 28/04/2021 at 9:00 AM, Chicken_Boy said:

I totally get it, because I used to feel that way.

But next week; just try something different. 1st set: stop a few reps short of failure. 2nd set: stop 1 rep short. 3rd/4th set: go ALL OUT

See how you feel then

Leaving a few reps in the tank on the first few sets is a tried and tested way of getting an incredible final set out

You can overtax the body by constantly going to failure. 

Promise me you will try what I recommended for 1 week, and then see how you feel after that :)

Duly noted buddy.  Going to leave a little in the tank until the final set for each exercise. Many thanks for your input.