Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Can I get a sick note

Recommended Posts

Can I get a sick note for depression? Basically situations is Iv had 6 days off work for bad stomach but real reason is I just can’t be botherd getting out of bed because of low mood. Can’t decide whever I should not go in tomorrow either and get a sick note for depression but not sure if you can? Past 2 days Iv had best intentions the night before to go into work but just can’t be botherd to do anything by the morning. Iv just been spending most of the days sleeping. I know when I’m in a low mood and in work I’m pissed off all day, like I could rip someone’s head off if they were to just get in my way. But anyways I don’t know if it’s a thing where I would get a sick note for depression to prove that I should be off because if not then I would have to go into work tomorrow no matter what because it would be the 6th day and after that you need a sick note 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

Can I get a sick note for depression? Basically situations is Iv had 6 days off work for bad stomach but real reason is I just can’t be botherd getting out of bed because of low mood. Can’t decide whever I should not go in tomorrow either and get a sick note for depression but not sure if you can? Past 2 days Iv had best intentions the night before to go into work but just can’t be botherd to do anything by the morning. Iv just been spending most of the days sleeping. I know when I’m in a low mood and in work I’m pissed off all day, like I could rip someone’s head off if they were to just get in my way. But anyways I don’t know if it’s a thing where I would a sick note for depression to prove that I should be off because if not then I would have to go into work tomorrow no matter what because it would the 6th day and after that you need a sick note 

Of course you can, you can be signed off for years with it if that’s what you want. The doc might even dish out some happy pills too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can, but be careful you don't say that's it's your job that's making you depressed. If you do your employer can turn round and sack you citing they have helped you by removing the cause of your depression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mingster said:

You can, but be careful you don't say that's it's your job that's making you depressed. If you do your employer can turn round and sack you citing they have helped you by removing the cause of your depression.

Ah right okay thanks for the heads up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be lucky if you can get fk all off your doctor in the current climate.

My missus rang her Drs yesterday to get an appointment, fully expecting that it would be a telephone appointment and not face to face. 

To be told the Dr wasn't booking any appointments due to Covid,  not even telephone and that he doesnt come in very much in the afternoons anymore, so to ring back in the morning after 9 and if hes not talking to anyone else he'd talk to her then.

She rang this morning at 9.15 and was told he was already speaking to someone, ring back in an hour and he might be able to speak to her then! 

She fked it off and is registering with another doctor. 

"Covid 19" the disease that keeps on giving and lets the public sector do literally whatever the fk they like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

You'll be lucky if you can get fk all off your doctor in the current climate.

My missus rang her Drs yesterday to get an appointment, fully expecting that it would be a telephone appointment and not face to face. 

To be told the Dr wasn't booking any appointments due to Covid,  not even telephone and that he doesnt come in very much in the afternoons anymore, so to ring back in the morning after 9 and if hes not talking to anyone else he'd talk to her then.

She rang this morning at 9.15 and was told he was already speaking to someone, ring back in an hour and he might be able to speak to her then! 

She fked it off and is registering with another doctor. 

"Covid 19" the disease that keeps on giving and lets the public sector do literally whatever the fk they like. 

That's far from great and I reckon 99% of other surgeries would have provided a better response than that. Might be worth putting in s complaint to the Practice Manager. 

@Jackoffblades - definitely worth ringing your GP and getting an appointment to discuss your situation. If you tell them you've already been off 6 days they should issue you a fit note. Be honest with how you are feeling so they can arrange the correct support for you. Good luck with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a low mood isn't depression, pal.. If you was suffering any resenblence of what you think might be depression you wouldn't on this forum inquiring about sick notes because you can't be arsed to go to work. I'm not saying that you may not be depressed but what you're describing doesn't sound like you're at all. First I'd look at getting some medication before a sick note, because sick notes don't cure depression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes dr will assess you if you have depression or just in general low mood because of modern life which alot are but not diagnosed as depression.

If you are diagnosed with depression they will probably see you every few weeks or every month to see if things are improving which if not could include referral to psychology or a specialist if real bad aswell as  the sick notes will continue, depends on the dr and if they feel you really do have mental health problems. “Iv been here” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mingster said:

You can, but be careful you don't say that's it's your job that's making you depressed. If you do your employer can turn round and sack you citing they have helped you by removing the cause of your depression.

Shouldn’t your employer have a duty of care? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lowkii said:

a low mood isn't depression, pal.. If you was suffering any resenblence of what you think might be depression you wouldn't on this forum inquiring about sick notes because you can't be arsed to go to work. I'm not saying that you may not be depressed but what you're describing doesn't sound like you're at all. First I'd look at getting some medication before a sick note, because sick notes don't cure depression.

Lmao. I’ve had it many years but gets worse as age. I’m wanting tablets as it’s got particularly bad for a while now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jd said:

Shouldn’t your employer have a duty of care? 

Of course.

If you say your job is causing depression their duty of care is to assist you in getting well again. Once other avenues are covered removing the cause of the depression is the obvious route.

I've been a union rep for many years and this is a common approach from employees. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its very easy get a sick note for depression/stress. Imo much easier than for anything else. You just go to gp and say that you are stressed, anxious, cant sleep and thinking about suicide then he will give few weeks straight away and prescribe antidepressants. You dont have to take them just buy the prescription then after that time off you go to gp again a keep saying that you still not well also say that meds give u some side effects and u not able to go to work and carry on doing it till u feel good to move on.... btw would be good to have some good reason for all of it what happening to you. Ive done it 3 years ago when I wanted to quit my job and do something with my life but couldnt afford it so I needed to get paid for a while before I sort out myself and move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be careful. Getting a sick note doesn’t prevent your employer from being able to sack you for poor attendance.  If your overall attendance is poor, your employer can sack you for it even is if your signed off at the time by your doctor.  
Obviously there are certain things that you couldn’t be sack for. For example, if you where signed off due to a disability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MickeyE said:

You'll be lucky if you can get fk all off your doctor in the current climate.

My missus rang her Drs yesterday to get an appointment, fully expecting that it would be a telephone appointment and not face to face. 

To be told the Dr wasn't booking any appointments due to Covid,  not even telephone and that he doesnt come in very much in the afternoons anymore, so to ring back in the morning after 9 and if hes not talking to anyone else he'd talk to her then.

She rang this morning at 9.15 and was told he was already speaking to someone, ring back in an hour and he might be able to speak to her then! 

She fked it off and is registering with another doctor. 

"Covid 19" the disease that keeps on giving and lets the public sector do literally whatever the fk they like. 

Complete opposite to my experience at my GP, it’s actually improved their service. Previously you could be looking at up to 2 weeks for an appt but in the last year I’ve waited no longer than a day. I even phoned up once and told I could have an appointment in 25 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MickeyE said:

You'll be lucky if you can get fk all off your doctor in the current climate.

My missus rang her Drs yesterday to get an appointment, fully expecting that it would be a telephone appointment and not face to face. 

To be told the Dr wasn't booking any appointments due to Covid,  not even telephone and that he doesnt come in very much in the afternoons anymore, so to ring back in the morning after 9 and if hes not talking to anyone else he'd talk to her then.

She rang this morning at 9.15 and was told he was already speaking to someone, ring back in an hour and he might be able to speak to her then! 

She fked it off and is registering with another doctor. 

"Covid 19" the disease that keeps on giving and lets the public sector do literally whatever the fk they like. 

Your not wrong. I rang 8 on the dot when it opens already fully booked can’t get in. Who the f**k are all these people that flooded in at 8 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, faipdeooiad said:

Complete opposite to my experience at my GP, it’s actually improved their service. Previously you could be looking at up to 2 weeks for an appt but in the last year I’ve waited no longer than a day. I even phoned up once and told I could have an appointment in 25 minutes.

Opposite at mine. Got to full as soon as it opened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faipdeooiad said:

Complete opposite to my experience at my GP, it’s actually improved their service. Previously you could be looking at up to 2 weeks for an appt but in the last year I’ve waited no longer than a day. I even phoned up once and told I could have an appointment in 25 minutes.

TBH your experience should be typical considering that GPs have had millions of less appointments than usual to deal with since the start of Covid. I read that in October last year there were 2 million less GP appointments overall and 7 million less face to face.

But even with the already lighter workload, some still using covid as an excuse to do even less. I read the google reviews for her doctors and TBH if it was a private enterprise it would never still be in business. My own doctors reviews aren't much better. I wonder if that's the norm these days, not checked any others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mingster said:

 

I've been a union rep for many years and this is a common approach from employees. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes not.

Me too, don’t u find as a rep if it wasn’t for hr and the members it would be quite a good job being a rep? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

Your not wrong. I rang 8 on the dot when it opens already fully booked can’t get in. Who the f**k are all these people that flooded in at 8 

Lol everyone knows you need to get down on one knee to get a appointment, something like: that tiny lump on your foot is preventing you from walking hence you cant get out of bed.

another option, i use a app for the docs, get a appointment fairly quick, mainly do it at weekends as loads of midweek appointmnets open up on there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jd said:

Me too, don’t u find as a rep if it wasn’t for hr and the members it would be quite a good job being a rep? 

Very true.

As you will know, the stupidity of some members knows no bounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mingster said:

Very true.

As you will know, the stupidity of some members knows no bounds.

Fully agree, can I ask what industry you are in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Iv got a sick note and I’m off for 2 weeks and got medication. I hope I dont get in trouble for saying Iv had a bad stomach for a week but Iv sent them a sick note saying it’s anxiety and depression. Would they not look to much into this? I hope they don’t class it as 2 instances of sickness because there 2 different reasons. I over think about stuff like this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×