Sign in to follow this  
jimmydeen

Push/Pull/Legs

What's everyone PPL routine? I myself do Legs/Push/Pull x2 a week.

Curious as what everyone does for Push mainly.

Do you alternate between chest and shoulder and end with tris? Or chest first, then shoulders?

Also how many exercises for each?

I’m sure I probably have done push pull legs but not intentionally. I don’t think you should treat it any different than a normal split routine just do amount of exercises  that you feel comfortable doing. Yes I would end with triceps

3 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

I’m sure I probably have done push pull legs but not intentionally. I don’t think you should treat it any different than a normal split routine just do amount of exercises  that you feel comfortable doing. Yes I would end with triceps

I already have my routine set mate, just wanted to see what others do and their reasoning for so.

I like hitting it like this:

Chest compound, Shoulder compound, chest iso, shoulder iso, tricep iso (2x per week)

11 hours ago, jimmydeen said:

I already have my routine set mate, just wanted to see what others do and their reasoning for so.

I like hitting it like this:

Chest compound, Shoulder compound, chest iso, shoulder iso, tricep iso (2x per week)

Push pull legs twice weekly is a great program I find . I personally cut the sets down but add a few more exercises .  So for me as an example 

push workout 
flat barbell bench x2 

incline dumbbell x2 

dumbbell fly   X2 

shoulder press x2 

lateral raise  x2

skull crushers x2

Tricep pushdowns  x2 

pull workout 

Deadlifts or rack pulls x2

close grip pull downs x2 

barbell rows  x2 

straight arm pull downs x2 

Rear laterals x2

barbell curls x2 

hammer curls x2

legs workout 

squats x2 

leg press  x2 

leg extensions x2 

Romanian deadlifts x2

Leg curls  x2

calve raises x3 

So that’s the first 3 days , only 2 sets per exercise once fully warmed up but these are very hard sets to failure  . The next 3 days I will do push pull legs again but I will change the exercises up to add some variety , change the compounds up add some machine work in to get the best out of both .Works well for me as I find it much easier to progress up the weight doing minimal sets on a particular exercise rather than 4 or 5 sets and progress becomes stagnant . I have done both I used to train with volume for many years hitting a body part once a week and completely unnecessary trashing the muscle  then got to wait a whole week to train again , for me seems a waste when I can train more smartly recover  and hit again twice within that week and get more growth . That is the reason I use push pull legs nowadays .

6 hours ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Push pull legs twice weekly is a great program I find . I personally cut the sets down but add a few more exercises .  So for me as an example 

push workout 
flat barbell bench x2 

incline dumbbell x2 

dumbbell fly   X2 

shoulder press x2 

lateral raise  x2

skull crushers x2

Tricep pushdowns  x2 

pull workout 

Deadlifts or rack pulls x2

close grip pull downs x2 

barbell rows  x2 

straight arm pull downs x2 

Rear laterals x2

barbell curls x2 

hammer curls x2

legs workout 

squats x2 

leg press  x2 

leg extensions x2 

Romanian deadlifts x2

Leg curls  x2

calve raises x3 

So that’s the first 3 days , only 2 sets per exercise once fully warmed up but these are very hard sets to failure  . The next 3 days I will do push pull legs again but I will change the exercises up to add some variety , change the compounds up add some machine work in to get the best out of both .Works well for me as I find it much easier to progress up the weight doing minimal sets on a particular exercise rather than 4 or 5 sets and progress becomes stagnant . I have done both I used to train with volume for many years hitting a body part once a week and completely unnecessary trashing the muscle  then got to wait a whole week to train again , for me seems a waste when I can train more smartly recover  and hit again twice within that week and get more growth . That is the reason I use push pull legs nowadays .

So you like to hit the chest first and then shoulders? That's a solid program mate!

11 minutes ago, jimmydeen said:

So you like to hit the chest first and then shoulders? That's a solid program mate!

Always have hit shoulders secondary yes , they have never lagged 

0D003C9F-9062-43DD-A75A-42BF7FE594CB.jpeg

20 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Cheers mate . Was flicking through at your journal earlier . Progressing nicely . First cycle is great isn’t it 

Thanks man, yeah it’s a lot better than training natty haha. I’m definitely looking forward to what other cycles I can do later down the line! 

9 hours ago, jimmydeen said:

Thanks man, yeah it’s a lot better than training natty haha. I’m definitely looking forward to what other cycles I can do later down the line! 

Unfortunately no other cycle will be like your first lol . Keep doing what your doing tho and results will come . 

11 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Unfortunately no other cycle will be like your first lol . Keep doing what your doing tho and results will come . 

thanks bro. Should get my medichecks results back tomorrow so i'll post them on the journal :)