UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Motivational gym thread

1K views 70 replies 11 participants last post by  gymaddict1986 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
haven't had a thread in a while

So come on who inspires you . Anything fitness related, could be strong man bodybuilding , what ever it is you do .

I am more into the golden era looks.

tom squatting 238kg for 23 reps ! Beast

Bodybuilder Shorts Arm Muscle Leg

Shoulder Bodybuilder Leg Bodybuilding Thigh

Muscle Bodybuilder Thigh Sleeve Chest

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#34 ·
Just lol at how immense he looks. His pecs are like armour. Had a great look did, Nubret. Him, Zane and Arnold will always be my top 3. Old school & sticking to the basics.

View attachment 198393
From my understanding Serg maintained that physique all the way up to 72years of age when he died . True warrior . Gotta agree on zane , you just don't see physiques like that these days

#43 ·
Not many realise it but whether bodybuilder or Strongman, we all owe a great debt of gratitude to Eugen Sandow for popularising the sports we love and bringing them (just about) into the spotlight. As well as being a Strongman, he popularised the art of muscular display and in the early 1900's was as popular and well-known as Arnold Schwarzenegger would be later in the century. He put his name to many products and businesses and had a chain of gymnasiums across the country. He also organised the first bodybuilding contest as we would recognise it. One of the head judges was Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (the Sherlock Holmes author). He published numerous books and physical culture magazines. He's a very interesting fella to both read about and read the stuff he wrote about getting strong and building muscle. One of the big London museums actually has a full bronze cast of him but it never gets displayed. He was a bit of a playboy and likely gay. Legend has it he died whilst holding up his car to have its wheel changed. He most likely died of syphilis which was very prevalent in those days. His family wanted nothing to do with him after his death and wouldn't even allow a headstone on his grave. Luckily a grandson was more accommodating and there is now a nice memorial.

Eugen Sandow: The man with the perfect body http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19977415

Forehead Hair Face Joint Chin

Attachments

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not many realise it but whether bodybuilder or Strongman, we all owe a great debt of gratitude to Eugen Sandow for popularising the sports we love and bringing them (just about) into the spotlight. As well as being a Strongman, he popularised the art of muscular display and in the early 1900's was as popular and well-known as Arnold Schwarzenegger would be later in the century. He put his name to many products and businesses and had a chain of gymnasiums across the country. He also organised the first bodybuilding contest as we would recognise it. One of the head judges was Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (the Sherlock Holmes author). He published numerous books and physical culture magazines. He's a very interesting fella to both read about and read the stuff he wrote about getting strong and building muscle. One of the big London museums actually has a full bronze cast of him but it never gets displayed. He was a bit of a playboy and likely gay. Legend has it he died whilst holding up his car to have its wheel changed. He most likely died of syphilis which was very prevalent in those days. His family wanted nothing to do with him after his death and wouldn't even allow a headstone on his grave. Luckily a grandson was more accommodating and there is now a nice memorial.

Eugen Sandow: The man with the perfect body http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19977415

View attachment 198401
Impressive for he's time .considering the lack of knowledge back in those days of nutrition and exercise I would have thought . I mean this equipment come out after he had passed . Quite comical to say the least . This was the 30s and 40s supposedly .eugen died in the 1920s I believe

#51 ·
That Tom Platz squatting is incredible, would todays top pros even have the conditioning to do something similar? Maybe they do, i don't know but a lot sound out of breath just talking.

The Chuck V squat looked scary as ha expecting his knees to cave any moment.

Westside v the world is a good watch, some quality training in there by some pretty insane individuals.

I think Serge actually looked better than Arnold, more complete. His physique looks like a piece of art.

#60 ·
Tom platz still got the wheels At age 65 Calls them left over I believe

I had his Pro Style Bodybuilding book years ago, I also had one by Vince Gironda and I think I had Beyond Brawn as well as Arnies Encyclopaedia of BB.
I also had a pile of old magazines all of which were given to me.
Platz always amazed me with his feats of squat strength(for reps in particular).

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)

what a physique this guy had and strong as a bull back in the day. Saw a documentary of him some years back , got sentenced life imprisonment in the Caribbean I believe for killing he's girlfriend and mother , I guess life over there actually means life , heard nothing about him getting out .
If anyone is interested the documentary is called death and the bodybuilder , well worth a watch . He was British to and now weighs around 160lbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.