Sign in to follow this  
BUFFMAN

Sky/Virgin TV - Will the bottom eventually fall out?

I see more and more people are abandoning TV services in favor of streaming services, IPTV, Freeview and even Youtube.  I read the other week that Disney have taken all of their films away from Sky Movies, and are now hosting them exclusively on Disney +.

With the prices constantly on the rise, will it all go tits up?  My bill is currently £74 (two boxes) Internet and phone (which I don't use), and that's with no film channels, nor football.  I'm actually in the process of getting rid.   Surely with the rise of streaming services (both legal and illegal) things will have to change?

1 minute ago, BUFFMAN said:

I see more and more people are abandoning TV services in favor of streaming services, IPTV, Freeview and even Youtube.  I read the other week that Disney have taken all of their films away from Sky Movies, and are now hosting them exclusively on Disney +.

With the prices constantly on the rise, will it all go tits up?  My bill is currently £74 (two boxes) Internet and phone (which I don't use), and that's with no film channels, nor football.  I'm actually in the process of getting rid.   Surely with the rise of streaming services (both legal and illegal) things will have to change?

I see Sky have incorporated Netflix and Disney into their packages which was probably a good move. I'm sure the rise of  illegal watching via IPTV and pirated torrents does harm them to a degree but I don't see them falling over any time soon. We should be grateful to the people who do pay as they fund the content. Downloading torrents is essentially free and is based on people sharing the content they have access to. IPTV seems more murky to me and 3rd parties are getting rich off supplying pirated content. I guess there will be bigger and more effective crack-downs on it in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

I see Sky have incorporated Netflix and Disney into their packages which was probably a good move. I'm sure the rise of  illegal watching via IPTV and pirated torrents does harm them to a degree but I don't see them falling over any time soon. We should be grateful to the people who do pay as they fund the content. Downloading torrents is essentially free and is based on people sharing the content they have access to. IPTV seems more murky to me and 3rd parties are getting rich off supplying pirated content. I guess there will be bigger and more effective crack-downs on it in the future. 

Ah I didn't know that about Sky incorporating Disney and Netflix.  That does sound a good idea, I pay for both Netflix and Disney +, so might have to look into what deals they can do me. 

EDIT---

My wife said is there Internet any good? :D

The funny thing is, if it was £50 for EVERYTHING, all the sports, films, your internet and phone, I think most people would happily pay that.  I'd love to have the sports packages for the football, but that would put my bill to around £120 a month.  As much as I like the footy, it's gotten way out of hand with wages and TV rights.  Crazy money!

53 minutes ago, BUFFMAN said:

Nah, cos there'll always be enough census completing, covid fearing, tv licence paying conformist sheeples to keep paying through the nose for Sky etc.

So the rest of us can get it for less than 1/10th on IPTV.

I think there is less illegal viewing going on now than there was in the past. When I was younger everyone I knew had a dodgy cable box, or Sky card, and they generally worked for years at a time before they managed to block the signal.

Now I think a lot of people hear about IPTV but keep the basic Sky package. Or start getting freezing, jumping pictures etc and go back to paying for it.

Things like Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ however are probably going to do them in. Content providers are all just doing their own subscriptions for £5-10 a month and that means Sky/Virgin are now just middlemen that can easily be cut out. I still have Sky but we have a few streaming subscriptions and every few months when we are running out of new content we just cancel them and try something new, and a few months later we switch back. We watch the Sky the least so it’s probably only a matter of time till we f**k it off.

Sky and terrestrial Tv are done.

What’s saved Sky in a lot of households are the sports packages as without that I think a high percentage of people wouldn’t pay for what’s on offer.

Soon as things get tight in this country it’ll will be the first thing to go in a lot of households.

Kids are solely on You Tube now watching their favourite ‘content creators’ and watching people gaming.

They are obsessed with it.

The days of the cartoon channels and sitting trying to hold their attention with a program or a film are long gone.

Tv licences are being cancelled at a record rate as people are realising they’re paying for something they no longer need.

It’s only a matter of time really.

I got myself a Netflix package other month and I’m loving it.

What pisses me off about sky is the lack of original content. Repeats of top gear/the Bill/friends on 90 channels of utter shite. If I could find a way to only pay for the horse racing channels I’d abandon the rest in a heartbeat.

And what I hate myself for is continuing to pay toward the cost of sky’s football coverage when the likes of Jamie Redknapp, Graham souness and those two thunder ccunts on the transfer wankathon make my blood boil and it’s that which pays the obscene wages of premier league players.

Now tv stick with sky entertainment £9 a month. Will purchase Prime for a month to watch stuff and then cancel. On my brothers Netflix group. Always buy sky movies package at Xmas on now tv around 23rd/24th December for one month. Costs £10. Usually get to watch 10-15 films I’ve not seen. Cancel it in January. 

Rarely watch normal tv. Line of Duty of course is exceptional tv. 24 hours in Police custody/The Detectives on catch up. That’s it. 

I'm paying £52 a month, and that's just for Internet. (Virgin Media) Every year they raise my bill. It went up £3 this year.

The future rights to show pl football are coming up for auction soon. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out. Those in the know (or at least those who think they are) suggest that the bubble is about to burst. If sky lose their monopoly on the biggest games then few will stay.

2 hours ago, Sasnak said:

The future rights to show pl football are coming up for auction soon. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out. Those in the know (or at least those who think they are) suggest that the bubble is about to burst. If sky lose their monopoly on the biggest games then few will stay.

I really enjoyed Amazon Prime's coverage of the football over Christmas, hope they get more games.  Having said that I don't want the prices to shoot up.

Thing is if sky lose the football, whoever wins it will just push their prices up. We'll never win, just screwed as usual 

11 minutes ago, safc49 said:

Thing is if sky lose the football, whoever wins it will just push their prices up. We'll never win, just screwed as usual 

Very true Sir!

I try and watch a lot of grass roots football nowadays, used to go to Chelsea quite a bit when I was a kid, but can no longer justify the ticket prices.  Costs a fortune to take the kids with me now, you are looking at close to £300 with tickets, train fair, food and beer.  I just pop over to see my local non league club, but even that's £12.50 a ticket :o

I hope it falls straight on their heads and they get crushed by it very heavily. Evil tyrannical thieving fckin scumbags!. Never paid a penny and they will get nothing from me.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:23 AM, Scotsman1010 said:

Sky and terrestrial Tv are done.

Yeah. Streaming is here to stay. Watch what you want when you want. Video rental stores are already obsolete it won't be long until TV completely transitions into on demand / streaming services. Waiting around for specific timeslots is outdated and pointless with modern technology.

Think I paid like £60 for a years IPTV (let's me watch the ifollow games as I'm a League 2 supporter yes I know it's not helping my club... But not forking out £10 a game to be pissssed off afterwards cause we were shite ) and I have the basic virgin package at like £35 a month with 200mb Internet, I've asked countless times about just internet but unless you're a new customer it works out more expensive the silly cnts. I need decent Internet or I'd switch and virgin have always been fine by me. 

On 05/04/2021 at 1:42 PM, BUFFMAN said:

Im with Virgin and until about a year ago i was on the top most expensive bundle, got everything, movies, sports, doc, more channels than i could remember. The only trouble is there was feck all on them to watch, was the same old crap, movies especially, and as all sports got cancelled due to Covid i thought sod it i'll drop everything but keep UK Gold (only fools and horses).

Everything me and missus watch now its on Netflix or i download, so zero people it paying for channels. As long as i have a decent fibre speed coming into the house i dont need channels. 

I was paying £150 now im paying £62.

7 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I think the tv licence needs to be scrapped and the bbc should move to a streaming service to see if they can survive. 

i stopped paying that 2 years ago. They still send me letters but they can bollocks. Left wing biased BS channel.

2 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

i stopped paying that 2 years ago. They still send me letters but they can bollocks. Left wing biased BS channel.

I've never paid it in my life. It's bull that you are forced to pay it to watch channels not associated with the bbc. 

3 hours ago, feelinfine said:

Yeah. Streaming is here to stay. Watch what you want when you want. Video rental stores are already obsolete it won't be long until TV completely transitions into on demand / streaming services. Waiting around for specific timeslots is outdated and pointless with modern technology.

Yip totally agree

To pay a monthly Sky package when in reality there's only maybe the same 2-3 channels you actually watch and the other 999 are complete tosh makes no sense.

I get it if your on it for the Sport but anything else is a complete false economy.

As you say...they will have to transition or get left behind.

Never paid a Tv license in my life. Not because im getting away with anything. But because I have never watched a network that is evidently run by child groomers and never will do!

And i've never paid for Sky either. No other fcker pays over £30 a month to watch their own sport in their own country, so i'm not paying to watch my own sport in mine.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:38 PM, MickeyE said:

Nah, cos there'll always be enough census completing, covid fearing, tv licence paying conformist sheeples to keep paying through the nose for Sky etc.

So the rest of us can get it for less than 1/10th on IPTV.

Bit like Microsoft. People will still continue to pay extortinate license product fees for MS office and outlook because they dont believe there is any other way or typing some letters in a document or sending an email to Chantelle in the office across the other side of the same room.