HarrySplitter

What makes a good gym IYO

1 hour ago, wylde99 said:

And don't forget we both love Taylors Coffee Bro! Give this one a try! Like Rocket Fuel! 

Seriously though, Old Skool Gyms are a dying bread, my ideal Gym is the one Dorian Yates used in Blood and Guts, the old Temple Gym In Birmingham, Dungeon of Torture Dorian referred to it at times. 

IMG_20210329_200258.jpg

Wylde, here’s a tip..... don’t eat yellow snow!

Seriously, Algerian coffee stores on Old Compton Street in London is where I buy mine. They deliver. Highly recommend the Bolivian (non cocaine related) bro. Been buying from there for 11 years. 

They do coffee of the month, £7-50 for 500 grams. Guarantee you will never buy from anywhere else again. Look them up 

30 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Seriously, Algerian coffee stores on Old Compton Street in London is where I buy mine. They deliver. Highly recommend the Bolivian (non cocaine related) bro. Been buying from there for 11 years. 

They do coffee of the month, £7-50 for 500 grams. Guarantee you will never buy from anywhere else again. Look them up 

People who like Harrogate shite say Starbucks is good too

I think there has to be a lot of thought gone into the kit available at the gym. Old school classics like Nautilus are a must. Quality power racks and dumbbells that go up to 70kg at least. I prefer a gym with a higher monthly membership because you dare I say it get a better crowd of people. The gym has to be clean.

2 hours ago, wylde99 said:

my ideal Gym is the one Dorian Yates used in Blood and Guts, the old Temple Gym In Birmingham

Yeah... like they’d have let you in :lol:

Nasty - “squeeeeeze! C’mon Yatesy!”

Dor - ”He’s too tight”

Gaybo* - “...ooh, I only came in here for a coffee...”

*Late ‘80s reference 

1 hour ago, PSevens2017 said:

Old Compton street in Soho? I know it well.

My ideal gym is very much a westside barbell esqe place.

Plenty of power cages, comp spec benches, combo racks (must tilt) and a monolift or two. Several deadlift platforms, bolted to the ground, with band pegs. A large selection of bands including plenty thin ones for microloading. A few deadlift jacks. Chains of various sizes.

Good selection of bars from quality makes, including axel and log bars, quality dumbells up to at least 80kg. Proper iron plates, 25kg ideally and lots of them. No 15kg plates taking up space. A selection of microloading plates from 0.5kg 

Barely any machines, and certainly no cardio machines. A GHD, prone row, heavy cable crossover, seated calf, viking press, reverse hyper, belt squat & sissy squat are all that's needed imo. Possibly a supported t bar row to help build meat in the rear delts for the bar to sit on when squatting, but the prone row bench is better in every way imo. 

An outdoor carpark like area that you can use for farmer carry, yoke and some sleds. Tow ropes and old weights.

Other than that just basics, plenty of chalk, cable attachments, good quality collars, well maintained bars, level floor, good staff that are willing to spot if needed. Good music, ideally some kind of competition ran every week for bragging rights or a physical prize. Good relationship with a local chiropractor who can maybe offer a discount for members of the gym.

Absolutely NO young no-nothing personal trainers, no masses of floor space taken up for a yoga area or some bullshit like that. Ideally all on one level to save going up and down stairs. A few water taps going about. 2 microwaves and a fridge members can use. 

10 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

I'm a bit of a Coffee connoisseur will check them out mate. 

12 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

Bolivia's in the cart mate I'll have a look for another on my break at work top man for the recommendation :thumb

9 hours ago, wylde99 said:

Drinking Taylor’s you’re not :lol:

Algerian coffee stores do sample packs as well. Do you use a stove top, espresso machine or cafetière? 

Velluto Nero is very good 

Bolivian as mentioned 

Blue Sumatra 

Cant go wrong with the above.

I have a stove top that does 3 small espresso cups. Sets you up for hours 

old school dungeon / proper kit / banging music you can choose yourself / good atmosphere <-- very bloody rare unfortunately.

EDIT: usually got some right characters who look scary as f**k but are actually really good people.

1 hour ago, PSevens2017 said:

Oui! 

Great for blok, er I mean, people watching. 

What’s blok mate? I’ve had many decent nights out in Soho.

13 hours ago, wylde99 said:

Coffee connoisseur yet you recommend harragotes. Like saying your a power lifter and be squatting 100kg 

3 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

This aimed at me or Wylde, Trickster? 

Wylde! Harragotes is dort compared to buying proper coffee. It’s for those who want to be a hipster or those who think it’s cool to like coffee so go to a supermarket and buy a few bags 

4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Coffee connoisseur yet you recommend harragotes. Like saying your a power lifter and be squatting 100kg 

Well what if you compete in the toddler division? I would say a 2 year old squatting 100kg is damn impressive 

31 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

Well what if you compete in the toddler division? I would say a 2 year old squatting 100kg is damn impressive 

That’s a fictional division just your imagination mate. 

On 28/03/2021 at 8:55 PM, anotherandy said:

Girls in skimpy clothes who don't  speak to me. 

As much as it is a nice view while working out it actually bakes my head how cliche it is... i mean some 18yr old comes to the gym for the first time puts on some tight leggings, does a few bw squats and thinks shes the next mrs America.

do me a favour, change ya stinky leggings youve had on for the last month and stop thinking the hole gym thinks your fit

1 hour ago, Fors331 said:

As much as it is a nice view while working out it actually bakes my head how cliche it is... i mean some 18yr old comes to the gym for the first time puts on some tight leggings, does a few bw squats and thinks shes the next mrs America.

do me a favour, change ya stinky leggings youve had on for the last month and stop thinking the hole gym thinks your fit

...now there’s someone who ain’t getting any - even his hand falls asleep half way through; and that’s sex with somebody he loves. I guess.