Sign in to follow this  
Uptonogood

Thai coconut chicken curry

Another really good meal to try - easy to make, reheats well, tonnes of flavour whilst being fairly lean and really enjoyable

Ingredients

250g chicken breast (or thigh)

1 pepper (green or red... your call)

1 onion (brown or red... your call again)

1tbsp peanut butter

1 tbsp fish sauce

1 really big tbsp of thai red curry paste 

Kaffir lime leaves (2 or 3 to taste)

50g coconut creme (not milk - the solid block stuff is what you want)

1tsp turmeric

1.5tbsp peanut butter (smooth!)

Method

1) cut the pepper and onion into fine slices (deseed the pepper)

2) cut the chicken - you can dice it if you're lazy or have diced chicken but the authentic Thai way is to cut it into strips. It doesn't overly matter but cooks slightly better as strips 

3) dice up the coconut creme and dissolve in 250ml boiling water. Add peanut butter and dissolve in. Add fish sauce, turmeric, kaffir lime leaves and 1 tsp sugar. Stir it up until dissolved 

3) fry peppers and onions in a little oil for around 5 minutes until softened

4) add chicken strips & Thai red curry paste - cook for a further 4 minutes

5) add the peanut/coconut stock and cook for another 10 minutes until chicken is done and sauce is thickened

Serves 2

Serve over rice - if you use basamati rice (a single portion - 125g cooked) it comes out around 700kcal and 40+g protein. You can reduce it to 500kcal and 40g protein by substituting the basamati rice for the low kcal protein noodles from tesco.

By the way - keep kaffir lime leaves frozen; they can be used straight from freezer and add good flavour to food - chuck some and some lemon grass in your rice when you're cooking it for a fragrant rice.

On 21/03/2021 at 8:14 PM, Uptonogood said:

Another really good meal to try - easy to make, reheats well, tonnes of flavour whilst being fairly lean and really enjoyable

Ingredients

250g chicken breast (or thigh)

1 pepper (green or red... your call)

1 onion (brown or red... your call again)

1tbsp peanut butter

1 tbsp fish sauce

1 really big tbsp of thai red curry paste 

Kaffir lime leaves (2 or 3 to taste)

50g coconut creme (not milk - the solid block stuff is what you want)

1tsp turmeric

1.5tbsp peanut butter (smooth!)

Method

1) cut the pepper and onion into fine slices (deseed the pepper)

2) cut the chicken - you can dice it if you're lazy or have diced chicken but the authentic Thai way is to cut it into strips. It doesn't overly matter but cooks slightly better as strips 

3) dice up the coconut creme and dissolve in 250ml boiling water. Add peanut butter and dissolve in. Add fish sauce, turmeric, kaffir lime leaves and 1 tsp sugar. Stir it up until dissolved 

3) fry peppers and onions in a little oil for around 5 minutes until softened

4) add chicken strips & Thai red curry paste - cook for a further 4 minutes

5) add the peanut/coconut stock and cook for another 10 minutes until chicken is done and sauce is thickened

Serves 2

Serve over rice - if you use basamati rice (a single portion - 125g cooked) it comes out around 700kcal and 40+g protein. You can reduce it to 500kcal and 40g protein by substituting the basamati rice for the low kcal protein noodles from tesco.

By the way - keep kaffir lime leaves frozen; they can be used straight from freezer and add good flavour to food - chuck some and some lemon grass in your rice when you're cooking it for a fragrant rice.

I’m definitely making this. It sounds amazing.

30 minutes ago, Uptonogood said:

Let me know what you think. Its one of my favourites - I make it atleast once every couple of weeks. 

Will do bro. I’ll make it tomorrow! I’m on a quest to get down to 85kg to fight MMA so a good diet is a must right now but it gets harder to keep it entertaining.

On 18/05/2021 at 7:29 PM, Uptonogood said:

Let me know what you think. Its one of my favourites - I make it atleast once every couple of weeks. 

It is the mutts nutts mate!!! I added crushed red chilli and chilli powder and fried the chicken in coconut oil.

Damn that’s tasty!

1 hour ago, Kimurasweep said:

It is the mutts nutts mate!!! I added crushed red chilli and chilli powder and fried the chicken in coconut oil.

Damn that’s tasty!

Glad you enjoyed it - can never have too much  chilli!

If you want to "bulk it out" without adding any calories you can chuck in some spinnach or kale 4/5 minutes before it's done to add some volume. I'm a big eater and struggle with lack of food volume when dieting down so I'm all about getting leafy greens into things!

9 minutes ago, Uptonogood said:

Glad you enjoyed it - can never have too much  chilli!

If you want to "bulk it out" without adding any calories you can chuck in some spinnach or kale 4/5 minutes before it's done to add some volume. I'm a big eater and struggle with lack of food volume when dieting down so I'm all about getting leafy greens into things!

Think I’d add some more veggies mate carrot, broccoli anything like that. ‘Twas proper yummy mate and I have loads left for tomorrow