Jump to content
vetran

Money can’t buy you happiness ? What a crock of crap

Recommended Posts

I talk about this with friends quite often.

If i owned a big house - i'm talking games room, big kitchen, gym steam room sauna swimming pool, stoner room and a garden big enough it takes a minute or two to jog round and enough money in the bank to live comfortably I'd be the happiest person in the world. 

Id happily live on my own, with a dog doing my own little routine. The only human contact i'd have would be the 18 year old escort coming round once a week to lick Nutella off my helmet. Or aye and the barber coming round to cut my hair and a season ticket with SAFC.

A £1 Million lottery win would give me that.

If i got bored I might get a flight to some African village and help build a school or something.

But here I am, sat in a room so small I couldn't lie down in it 3 hours into a 12 hour shift :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with what @Pez189 said. No way on earth I'd want to be face or a celebrity. They can't do nothing, hounded by press, fake friends, gold diggers etc.

I've often said winning big on the lottery say 10m would be amazing at first but I think the money would become a curse.

I'd rather win a couple of hundred grand, enough to pay the house off, little nest egg and me and the wife go part time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lowkii said:

What about all those celebrities that comit suicide? If money was the key to everlasting happiness then celebrities should be on top of the world. But more then often they are the most unhappiest people on the planet. 

I think the idea is generally to have enough money where you can pay the bill's and have some left over.

A lot more people kill themselves in poverty? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philfg said:

I've often said winning big on the lottery say 10m would be amazing at first but I think the money would become a curse.

I'd rather win a couple of hundred grand, enough to pay the house off, little nest egg and me and the wife go part time. 

I've thought this as well. It's person dependent by yes I think most would be good with a couple hundred thousand pound. You get a decent house paid off and have no money worries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scottysafc said:

I talk about this with friends quite often.

If i owned a big house - i'm talking games room, big kitchen, gym steam room sauna swimming pool, stoner room and a garden big enough it takes a minute or two to jog round and enough money in the bank to live comfortably I'd be the happiest person in the world. 

Id happily live on my own, with a dog doing my own little routine. The only human contact i'd have would be the 18 year old escort coming round once a week to lick Nutella off my helmet. Or aye and the barber coming round to cut my hair and a season ticket with SAFC.

A £1 Million lottery win would give me that.

If i got bored I might get a flight to some African village and help build a school or something.

But here I am, sat in a room so small I couldn't lie down in it 3 hours into a 12 hour shift :(

Do you not think that someone won’t be along to tax you? I know of a business owner who did well for himself so decided to sponsor a few boxing events as it’s what he enjoyed watching, before long he’s in with the crowd and being threatened for more money by the boxer and his associates. 
I also recall a lottery winner who’s missus was getting it off the dealer(not just gear), he had to pay for 3 blokes and a ringered vehicle to lift him off the streets and take him a good distance away for a rather stern warning. 
Whatever vices you have or haven’t got, the vultures will be circling if not already swooping down if they know you’ve got sudden money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

I've thought this as well. It's person dependent by yes I think most would be good with a couple hundred thousand pound. You get a decent house paid off and have no money worries. 

Going back to that base level of happiness I posted early in the thread, I’m ahead of what you say above by a fair bit, savings, car and bikes paid for, no credit which is huge considering where I started from and the truth is, it’s still not quite enough although that knowing I can Jack my job at any time and be ok for a good while is satisfying but I’m by far able to retire and enjoy life as bills such as Council tax, water rates, gas and electric, etc keep coming through my letterbox. Haha. 

I think that the worry if you had a million quid would be to try and future proof it, for most of us we have another 40yrs or so in us and what will a million really be worth in say 30yrs time? Could you invest it and not check if it’s going down as well as up? If you buy a big property, the bills to run it will also be big so using up your money faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Do you not think that someone won’t be along to tax you? I know of a business owner who did well for himself so decided to sponsor a few boxing events as it’s what he enjoyed watching, before long he’s in with the crowd and being threatened for more money by the boxer and his associates. 
I also recall a lottery winner who’s missus was getting it off the dealer(not just gear), he had to pay for 3 blokes and a ringered vehicle to lift him off the streets and take him a good distance away for a rather stern warning. 
Whatever vices you have or haven’t got, the vultures will be circling if not already swooping down if they know you’ve got sudden money. 

Move to a tax haven end of story! The UK is a nightmare because everything is geared to taxing the poor man and keeping them enslaved but it’s up to the individual to play the game correctly and not let this happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BarStar said:

Move to a tax haven end of story! The UK is a nightmare because everything is geared to taxing the poor man and keeping them enslaved but it’s up to the individual to play the game correctly and not let this happen.

Yeah cos you’ll move there for free bro. :thumbup1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lowkii said:

What about all those celebrities that comit suicide? If money was the key to everlasting happiness then celebrities should be on top of the world. But more then often they are the most unhappiest people on the planet. 

I think the idea is generally to have enough money where you can pay the bill's and have some left over.

Because it’s more to do with their mental health not how much money they have.

I can only think of Robin Williams. Who else is there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PSevens2017 said:

I can only think of Robin Williams. Who else is there?

Robbie Williams has spoken about his mental health issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Yeah cos you’ll move there for free bro. :thumbup1:

£3000 residency buy a house much cheaper than here...have a superior quality of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not wealthy ,but am in a comfortable position. 

Day's when having a bit of money made me happy. 

 Going into the bank and paying off the 2nd half of the mortgage. 

 Making it clear to your boss you will just walk out if he tries to be unreasonable as you dont need a job,  then quitting to go travelling. 

Only now going to work to help a mate when he's over booked and the weather isn't great. 

Spending a couple of months each winter somewhere warm ( excluded this covid year).

I've never been materialistic so expensive shinny thing's don't interest me.

Small house, old bike's and cars. No kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

Because it’s more to do with their mental health not how much money they have.

I can only think of Robin Williams. Who else is there? 

I think he had health problems and didn't want to deteriorate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people get addicted to earning more with no thoughts of actually spending/enjoying the money.  Like the earning it is what they enjoy. 

My sister in laws  husband  was quite a high earner, had couple of million in the bank flash car, big house.  Made loads of plans to travel and do stuff with his much younger wife . But kept putting it off  as the next contract would put another couple of hundred £k in the bank.

 Sister in law got cancer and died a horrible death.  Left him totally shattered, hardly leaves the house, drinks a couple of bottles of whisky (very expensive whisky) a day.  Often wont even change clothes for over a week like gets dressed Monday won't actually take those clothes off for over a week. 

He would give everything to see her again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sean m said:

I've never been materialistic so expensive shinny thing's don't interest me.

I'm like this. No interest in the latest phone or having an expensive car. I would rather do stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I think he had health problems and didn't want to deteriorate. 

Believe the same... he had LBD, nasty disease :(

Quote

Lewy body dementia (LBD) is a disease associated with abnormal deposits of a protein called alpha-synuclein in the brain. These deposits, called Lewy bodies, affect chemicals in the brain whose changes, in turn, can lead to problems with thinking, movement, behaviour and mood.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2021 at 5:01 PM, BLUE(UK) said:

Do you not think that someone won’t be along to tax you? I know of a business owner who did well for himself so decided to sponsor a few boxing events as it’s what he enjoyed watching, before long he’s in with the crowd and being threatened for more money by the boxer and his associates. 
I also recall a lottery winner who’s missus was getting it off the dealer(not just gear), he had to pay for 3 blokes and a ringered vehicle to lift him off the streets and take him a good distance away for a rather stern warning. 
Whatever vices you have or haven’t got, the vultures will be circling if not already swooping down if they know you’ve got sudden money. 

Nahhh Id just keep myself to myself.  Certainly wouldn't be messing around with any shady characters. Id grow me own skunky if I was that arsed about it.

That being said If I lived in the middle of nowhere Id certainly be 'prepared' and if someone decided to break in I'd struggle not to 'get carried away'. The underground sex dungeon would get some use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first started making good money I felt like I was accomplishing something buying all these new fancy toys. Only to lose interest in them shortly.

That's the problem with buying happiness with money, you have to keep finding something new when the novelty wears off. Obviously you need a certain amount of money to pay the bills and live comfortably. But beyond that I found that it really doesn't matter that much.

It is called the hedonic treadmill. Shortly after experiencing great fortune or extreme misfortune, humans return to their original set point of happiness. Which is determined by your brain chemistry set by your formative years. So if you had a shitty childhood then you are f**ked for life. Even if you attain great riches later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2021 at 10:55 AM, scottysafc said:

But here I am, sat in a room so small I couldn't lie down in it 3 hours into a 12 hour shift

Have you a radio and light in there - or is it just what comes in from the glory hole?

oops, sorry - thought you were fors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×