Sign in to follow this  
ReboundReps

Posture correctors... Anyone tried them?

The strap kind that is, that go round your upper body.

I know they're often frowned upon and it's more important to strengthen muscles to fix your posture (e.g. lower traps, serratus etc) but I'm trying a combination of both.

My right shoulder has been rounded forward for a couple years (I spend a lot of time at a desk) and sometimes causes issues. I'm pretty sure it's gotten a lot worse over the lockdown too and working from home.

I've had plenty of trips to the physio who have given me a load of rehab exercises mainly for my traps, RC and serratus aswell as chest / pec minor stretches. These have helped ease any pain I was getting but the position of my shoulder / scapular is being really stubborn though and looks like it's hardly budged.

I'm wondering if all the time I'm spending at my desk is reversing the effects of the exercises.

If I wear a posture corrector it reminds me to contract my lower trap on that side, its also made me realise just how much my shoulder has been rounding forward when I'm working.

I don't rely on it to hold my posture in the right place

Anyone else tried this? I'm hoping keeping my lower trap contracted more often like this will help 

I got one used it for about 3 weeks then didn’t bother with it. It did help at work though with back ache. Only thing is while it does help your back I was getting a worse pain with the straps going under my arm pits which is why I don’t use . After work my arm pits would be red raw from it 

3 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

I got one used it for about 3 weeks then didn’t bother with it. It did help at work though with back ache. Only thing is while it does help your back I was getting a worse pain with the straps going under my arm pits which is why I don’t use . After work my arm pits would be red raw from it 

Thanks, I'll stick with it then and hopefully that combined with these exercises will speed things up

I’ve recently starting wearing one to bed as I found it too uncomfortable during the day. It’s hard to tell but I’d say it seems to be working (I suffer from hyper lordosis) 

On 01/03/2021 at 1:52 PM, ReboundReps said:

The strap kind that is, that go round your upper body.

I know they're often frowned upon and it's more important to strengthen muscles to fix your posture (e.g. lower traps, serratus etc) but I'm trying a combination of both.

My right shoulder has been rounded forward for a couple years (I spend a lot of time at a desk) and sometimes causes issues. I'm pretty sure it's gotten a lot worse over the lockdown too and working from home.

I've had plenty of trips to the physio who have given me a load of rehab exercises mainly for my traps, RC and serratus aswell as chest / pec minor stretches. These have helped ease any pain I was getting but the position of my shoulder / scapular is being really stubborn though and looks like it's hardly budged.

I'm wondering if all the time I'm spending at my desk is reversing the effects of the exercises.

If I wear a posture corrector it reminds me to contract my lower trap on that side, its also made me realise just how much my shoulder has been rounding forward when I'm working.

I don't rely on it to hold my posture in the right place

Anyone else tried this? I'm hoping keeping my lower trap contracted more often like this will help 

My feeling is, if you want to use one as well as strengthening ‘effectively and efficiently’ them that is your choice. It sounds like this is what you’re going to do anyway. 

Personally, we live in a society where gimmicks are common. Buzz words are used to sell merchandise. ‘Posture’ ‘back pain’ ‘Glutes firing’ are overused and used for the wrong reason. Posture is posture. There’s no bad or poor posture. This is bad wording used by people who don’t understand what they’re doing. Plus it makes a patient feel s**t. 

I believe these braces are a waste of money and time. I would suggest having more movement breaks (to work those traps, rhomboids and keep the r/cuff muscles moving). This is to break up being sat at your desk all day. Do weightless front and lateral raises, neck rotations/flexion/lateral flexion for 20 seconds each every 20 mins. It reminds the r/cuff, neck, back & shoulder muscles what they’re supposed to be doing. 

If you use a computer then your primary anatomical position is bringing arms across chest (bit like a flye movement except you’re sat down). In doing this you are engaging your pec major. They’ll be in contraction while you type. Long time in contraction. This will lead to overuse. Shoulders will then feel rounded. 

Get some moisturiser or Vaseline and start applying pressure on inner pecs (Almost central sternum) and slowly massage at a diagonal movement toward anterior delt. Do it from various angles always starting/finish where I mentioned. You can do this at home. Or, like me, rip your shirt off and do it in the office lol. Women be drenched! 

If you palpate around your whole pec, you may find more sensitive areas than others. When you do, apply pressure and hold for 10-20 seconds. This is called TrP (Trigger point) but I don’t subscribe to that saying. It’s another buzz saying used in healthcare that i try to stay away from. Push in on sensitive areas from different angles. You can look up ‘trigger point pecs‘ online and it’ll give you guidance. 

Look into your doing ‘Prone (lying face down) I’s, Y’s, Ws & T’s’. Dr Jo on YouTube shows you how. Once you get used to them you can introduce TUT for each rep. I’ve forgotten the reverse flye exercises you can do with bands. Add them in. 

Here’s a link. Crack on doing what makes you feel happy doing tho. If the brave works for you, your body and your choice.. I’d look at starting rowing (machine), climbing and using battle ropes to utilise back/posterior shoulder musculature.

You don’t want your lower trap contracted constantly. Do we spend our day with our bicep, abs or quads contracted constantly?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/05/are-you-sitting-comfortably-the-myth-of-good-posture 

:thumbup1: