Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YB81

First Power lifting Comp

Recommended Posts

What would you say is a reasonable 1RM for each lift before you’d consider entering a power lifting comp ?  I currently weigh 101 kg. 

I’m giving my self 12 months using 531 so by the time next years comps come around I shouldn’t embarrass myself. 

Any advice or training tips would be massively appreciated. 
 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO you should be able to easily get the below at your current body weight and someone who is primed for a meet

Bench  135.
Squat 170.
Dead 205.

If you're going to follow 5/3/1 then don't deviate, follow the plan as is.

You'll be surprised how quick you can get strong. At first glance it seems slow progress, but it aint. Contrary to popular belief you don't lift the same weight twice so you're forever lifting more volume week by week.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only requirement is that you are able to lift at least a 20kg barbell on all 3 lifts in accordance to the rules.

Don't go in with the mindset of "what's acceptable" 

Go with the mindset of having fun and feeding off the highly supportive environment to hit some new personal bests. 

I've entered a meet in the past and benched 60kg at 110kg bodyweight

I was just a few months into a surgical reattachment of a pectoral recovery but needless to say this was the weakest bench of the comp by a country mile and 100kg off my best at the time.

Point is there will be people stronger than you and weaker than you at the comp, but they'll all be rooting for you.

Learn the commands and focus on hitting PBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 12:06 PM, Endomorph84 said:

IMO you should be able to easily get the below at your current body weight and someone who is primed for a meet

Bench  135.
Squat 170.
Dead 205.

If you're going to follow 5/3/1 then don't deviate, follow the plan as is.

You'll be surprised how quick you can get strong. At first glance it seems slow progress, but it aint. Contrary to popular belief you don't lift the same weight twice so you're forever lifting more volume week by week.

Good luck.

 

20 hours ago, swole troll said:

The only requirement is that you are able to lift at least a 20kg barbell on all 3 lifts in accordance to the rules.

Don't go in with the mindset of "what's acceptable" 

Go with the mindset of having fun and feeding off the highly supportive environment to hit some new personal bests. 

I've entered a meet in the past and benched 60kg at 110kg bodyweight

I was just a few months into a surgical reattachment of a pectoral recovery but needless to say this was the weakest bench of the comp by a country mile and 100kg off my best at the time.

Point is there will be people stronger than you and weaker than you at the comp, but they'll all be rooting for you.

Learn the commands and focus on hitting PBs.

Thanks for the input guys,

Endo yeah I can see how people could easily drift off plan I’m only early into 5 3 1 and I really don’t feel like I'm pushing myself I’ve been itching to add more to the bar than Ive planned. I’ve come Away not feeling I pushesd myself  but I’ll stick to it and see where it takes me. 

Swole  I’ve looked at a few federations but from I what I can find there all tested

What  federation did you compete in or  did you come off completely to compete ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YB81 said:

 

Swole  I’ve looked at a few federations but from I what I can find there all tested

What  federation did you compete in or  did you come off completely to compete ? 

 

The BPU and GPC are both untested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled something ridiculous in my first meet and was by far the weakest in my weight class, but i loved it.

Your first meet is more than just the 9 lifts. Its the atmosphere, the friends and the spectacle of watching others go balls out for a heavy lift. Be aware that most people wont perform that well in their first meet. It can be a long day and for the majority of it you wont be doing much of anything, i also had more than a bit of stage fright when i was up on the platform with everyone watching. 

Remember to take plenty of water and carby snacks. I would recommend against any heavy meals during the day as the last thing you way before going for a heavy squat is something sitting in your stomach. I also don't recommend taking too much caffeine since you can be sure the moment it stars to wear off and you hit the comedown you'll be called up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×