Delboy68

Weight training advice please

Hi all. I’m a 53 year old , yes I know I’ve left it late, but I’m quite fit as I’ve played football all my life , and still do,  basically I don’t want to sit here and drink myself into oblivion during these lockdowns as I can’t work during them. Basically I started off with 10kg dumbells and did 20 hammer curls, then 10 bench press at 60kg followed by 20 concentration curls each arm on 10kg, I repeated this 5 times, I’ve just moved up to 15kg dumbells.  But obviously can only do 12 of each on those, Basically how long will I need to be doing this to notice a real difference. I’m also on protein shakes and eating well,  any advice would be appreciated,   Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Delboy68

12 hours ago, Delboy68 said:

Hi all. I’m a 53 year old , yes I know I’ve left it late, but I’m quite fit as I’ve played football all my life , and still do,  basically I don’t want to sit here and drink myself into oblivion during these lockdowns as I can’t work during them. Basically I started off with 10kg dumbells and did 20 hammer curls, then 10 bench press at 60kg followed by 20 concentration curls each arm on 10kg, I repeated this 5 times, I’ve just moved up to 15kg dumbells.  But obviously can only do 12 of each on those, Basically how long will I need to be doing this to notice a real difference. I’m also on protein shakes and eating well,  any advice would be appreciated,   Thanks in advance. 

Never to late to start.

Nothing better than being an old codger and looking better than these young bucks.

Set out a lifting plan and stick to it. I'd just stick with a push, pull, legs once a week and do a bit of cardio in between. Walk before you start to run, you don't want to get injured. 

I find slower reps and pause reps are best now I'm getting on a bit.

I had chronic pain when I started back years ago, wife was covering me in deep heat every night for a few months. The body adapts and gets stronger. I would expect after a few months you'd notice lifts going up and in 12 months see some visable gains. 

I've learnt food is key, I've lifted heavy, 5x5, lighter with more reps, different splits, nothing changes the way you look more than food. That's my experience anyway. 

Stay off the drink, its the worst thing for us men.

Get some pictures up and stick with it :)