Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Anyone still do the old school ab training

Does anyone still finish off there training with abbs training? I call it old school because when I first started lifting everyone finished with training abbs. I started training them in first time in probably a year and it got me thinking Iv not seen anyone do them in years 

As much as every other muscle group . Compound Movements don't hit abs anywhere near enough despite like most believe  or try convince themselves .  Most blokes seems to work out that they need to spend inordinate amount of time on chest and ignore abs (+ flexibility,  cardio etc) . Internal and external obliques are barely hit and there is hardly any rotational compound movements Core training is an important muscle group to train.

Just take  a roller wheel at full stretch and see how many you can do or a simple plank , or join an 20min abs class. Seen that many roided up blokes crumple in minutes.  

I do now I'm exercising at home, few times a week I'll chuck a follow along circuit on YT. There has been a really obvious shift in my priorities RE training since the gyms closed, in having to adapt to minimal equipment.. I'm concentrating on bits I've neglected over the years like core work, cardiovascular health, unilateral leg work to try and fix imbalances, and I've started training arms. 

I've mainly been inspired by Fors

3 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

As much as every other muscle group . Compound Movements don't hit abs anywhere near enough despite like most believe  or try convince themselves .  Most blokes seems to work out that they need to spend inordinate amount of time on chest and ignore abs (+ flexibility,  cardio etc) . Internal and external obliques are barely hit and there is hardly any rotational compound movements Core training is an important muscle group to train.

Just take  a roller wheel at full stretch and see how many you can do or a simple plank , or join an 20min abs class. Seen that many roided up blokes crumple in minutes.  

Whilst I personally agree with this... why is it EVERY pro seems to say they don't train abs at all? Yet have ridiculous definition.

17 minutes ago, Mr Holland said:

Whilst I personally agree with this... why is it EVERY pro seems to say they don't train abs at all? Yet have ridiculous definition.

Body builders don't generally want to build and thicken their midsections.

They just want good ab definition (as you say). Which if you're doing a lot of compound movements that involve the core, will naturally be there if you get lean enough. 

47 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

Body builders don't generally want to build and thicken their midsections.

They just want good ab definition (as you say). Which if you're doing a lot of compound movements that involve the core, will naturally be there if you get lean enough. 

True, I appreciate they don't want to be "blocky". I just always found it wild that they seemingly do no direct ab work yet they look that good. Albeit anybody's abs should look decent at <10% body fat.

39 minutes ago, Mr Holland said:

True, I appreciate they don't want to be "blocky". I just always found it wild that they seemingly do no direct ab work yet they look that good. Albeit anybody's abs should look decent at <10% body fat.

Everyone carries fat in different areas so it’s not as simple as <10%. 

1 hour ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Everyone carries fat in different areas so it’s not as simple as <10%. 

True... I didn't necessarily mean that figure as a rule. But generally any bodybuilder in their "lean" state (whatever that is for them) is likely to have defined, visual abs despite apparently doing 0 direct ab work. That was my point.

10 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

At the end of the day do what is right for you only will you know  . Everyone is different mate . So I am not trying to convince my self when I know I don’t need to , it will work for some and not others . 

On 2/9/2021 at 8:12 PM, Jackoffblades said:

Does anyone still finish off there training with abbs training? I call it old school because when I first started lifting everyone finished with training abbs. I started training them in first time in probably a year and it got me thinking Iv not seen anyone do them in years 

Yes.

Abs can't really use a lot of weight (without help from other muscles and bad technique).  So you can easily train them at the end.  I do them after every session.

On 10/02/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mr Holland said:

A friend of mine I used to train with paid John meadows a lot of money for coaching. He never bothered with abs so we never did them but I asked him to get a ab training plan from him to see what it was like and it was 4x15 leg raises or rope crunches 4x a week. 

On 9.02.2021 г. at 10:12 PM, Jackoffblades said:

I still do it.  I train abs 3 times a week  at the end of the workout i.e chest and abs, arms and abs etc.

1 minute ago, alphafit said:

I still do it.  I train abs 3 times a week  at the end of the workout i.e chest and abs, arms and abs etc.

I’d like to do more abb work but I just don’t seem to have the time or energy after all the rest of my exercises 

10 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

I’d like to do more abb work but I just don’t seem to have the time or energy after all the rest of my exercises 

I usually go for 3 exercises after the session, ab raises, ab  crunches and a plankie. 3 sets of each 12 reps.

27 minutes ago, aLadNamedAsh said:

Forget em me.

If I do any one ab movement. my abs would just cramp up like a bitch.

Then I’d be in the locker-rooms, struggling  putting on/ changing my shoes lol

That’s what I’m like