Sign in to follow this  
Harry91

One month in NO PROGRESS:( HELP!!!

Hey guys i started to try and lose some weight from the new year, not really made any progress.  Could you advise please :(

TDEE calculator:

6ft

87.8kg starting weight

maintenance cals = 2,254 

i have been eating the below daily (apart from an extra 400-500 cals on a friday dinner)

Breakfast: 3 weetabix  in full fat milk 393cals

am snack: walkers crisps 124cals

lunch: 200g chicken thighs 238cals

pm snack: 2 choc chip cookies 106cals

dinner: 200chicken thighs and 100g white rice 

Daily total: 1220cals, 109g carbs, 103g protein,  43g fat

i do cardio to make my net cals 1000 per day

training:

monday chest:

db flat 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

db incline 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

tricep push downs: 30kg 11x3 (day1 was 20kg)

tricep dips: as many to failure

tuesday back:

db rows: 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

lat pull down 40kg 11x3 (day1 was 30kg)

Db bicep curls: 10kg each 11x3

weds shoulders:

seated db shoulder press: 20kg each 11x3 (day1 was 15kg)

standing bb press: 40kg 11x3

Bb shrugs: 40kg 11x3

i repeat all the above on thurs fri and sat with sunday a rest day

weight loss:

1/1/21 - 87.8kg

8/1/21 - 87.5kg

23/1/21 - 86.8kg

today - 86.8kg

i know currently i am the worst case of skinny fat. So i thought 1000cals net daily  would hopefully rapidly drop some fat off me before i start building some mass.

But the weight just isnt dropping been nearly a month now since i started

could i have some advise please 

skinny fat pic attached lol

150B9EFA-AC02-4779-9337-7511EDD62DB8.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

Breakfast: 3 weetabix  in full fat milk 393cals

am snack: walkers crisps 124cals

lunch: 200g chicken thighs 238cals

pm snack: 2 choc chip cookies 106cals

dinner: 200chicken thighs and 100g white rice 

Daily total: 1220cals, 109g carbs, 103g protein,  43g fat

That diet is shocking.

Breakfast, loose the full fat milk and have skimmed or better almond milk.

Forget crisps forever. If I had to eat a packet snack it would be a few Snack a Jack's with peanut butter or a banana on top.

Chicken breast is better than thighs. 

Forget cookies forever, make some home made protien bars with oats.

Again find a good protein source, meat or fish and add some carbs for tea.

You have no greens in there or fruit, you must add. 

Have a big bowl of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries for supper with some fat free Greek yogurt. Or if you can stomach it some cottage cheese.

Get on YouTube and start watching a day of full eating videos for some ideas. 

Hi mate

thanks for your reply

I take on board your food swap suggestions

but what do you make of my overall calories? Shall i increase them? Do you think im "under eating"?

and my training shall i change anything?

ta

29 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

what do you make of my overall calories?

Hi mate,

Your maintenance cals of 2,254  seems very low and I think you have underestimated your activity.

Without knowing your age (I used 25 y/o) your BMR is approx. 1990 cals and already you're drastically eating under that at 1220 cals.

Nobody who works out, is fit and healthy should be eating below their BMR.

lets work backwards to estimate your maintenance cals….

• BMR = 1990 cals burnt a day.
  • Thermogenic effect of eating food = 200 cals burnt a day.
  • Workout 3 times a week at 400 cals per session = 175 cals burnt a day.
  • Every mile/ 2000 steps burns approx. 100 cals in your average male, lets imagine you do 5000 steps a day = 250 cals burnt a day.

Already I have your maintenance cals at approx. 2,600.

How did you work your TDEE out?

Many thanks for taking the time out to advise mate.

so i worked out my tdee using the tdee calculator as per attached pic. (Sorry if im confused thinking tdee and maintence cals is same thing)

I chose sedentary activity as i drive to and from work and literally sit at my desk all day. 

Also when i tried "bulking" during the march lockdown time i ate 2850 cals daily and when from 82.4kg to 87kg within 8weeks

if i have been eating in such a high deficit since the new year i dont understand why im not melting the fat off 

E1357A0B-409E-4736-9C61-33BE15660EBF.thumb.jpeg.14d9e40cb091e4da9ad5a2a714774477.jpeg

You're job may be sedentary but your lifestyle isn't, is it?! As you gym Etc. So you will need to select the moderate tab, its not that hard mate lol.

The fat isn't  'melting off' because the deficit is so drastic, youre body will be working against you.

No probs, easy fix. Recalculate your TDEE using the moderate tab and I bet it comes out closer to 2600 than 2200.

let me know, I'm here to help.

5 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

You're job may be sedentary but your lifestyle isn't, is it?! As you gym Etc. So you will need to select the moderate tab, its not that hard mate lol.

The fat isn't  'melting off' because the deficit is so drastic, youre body will be working against you.

No probs, easy fix. Recalculate your TDEE using the moderate tab and I bet it comes out closer to 2600 than 2200.

let me know, I'm here to help.

Moderate tab gives 2911 cals and light exercise gives 2582 maintenxe cals

any idea how/why i put on the 5kg earlier this year mate eating at 2850? Im pretty sure most of it was fat because i didnt have the beer belly before lol

so what cals shall i eat daily now? And any suggestions on my cardio and training mate?

6 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

any idea how/why i put on the 5kg earlier this year mate eating at 2850?

Water retention.

6 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

so what cals shall i eat daily now?

2300 IMO, that's a loss of approx. 1.5 lbs a week which is a nice rate of loss.

8 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

And any suggestions on my cardio and training mate?

Ill look now mate

5 hours ago, Harry91 said:

training:

monday chest:

db flat 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

db incline 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

tricep push downs: 30kg 11x3 (day1 was 20kg)

tricep dips: as many to failure

tuesday back:

db rows: 30kg each 11x3 (day1 was 25kg)

lat pull down 40kg 11x3 (day1 was 30kg)

Db bicep curls: 10kg each 11x3

weds shoulders:

seated db shoulder press: 20kg each 11x3 (day1 was 15kg)

standing bb press: 40kg 11x3

Bb shrugs: 40kg 11x3

i repeat all the above on thurs fri and sat with sunday a rest day

What facilities have you got access to mate? is this a home gym?

And why no leg training?

55 minutes ago, WelshFatty said:

How accurately are you tracking your calories?

200g of chicken thighs is more than 238 calories.

Using myfitnesspal for everything bud. 200g boneless chicken thighs (cooked weight). How many cals should they be? 238 is what iv found on a few searches

56 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Water retention.

2300 IMO, that's a loss of approx. 1.5 lbs a week which is a nice rate of loss.

Ill look now mate

2300 cutting based on 2900ish maintence mate?

can people actually lose fat with weight not changing much? Or is that just bro science? Would it apply in next to no muscle cases like me though?

Is it worth taking belly circumference measures in inches every weigh in too?

54 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

What facilities have you got access to mate? is this a home gym?

And why no leg training?

Yes just some free weights at home. 

In regards to no legs its because i dont have a squat rack. But also to be honest my legs do feel drained from the 30mins stationary bike daily

39 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

2300 cutting based on 2900ish maintence mate?

yea man, and review after 2 weeks.

can people actually lose fat with weight not changing much? Or is that just bro science?

Bro science, google 1lb of fat and you'll see how much it is, its a lot.

Would it apply in next to no muscle cases like me though?

Everyone's the same mate! having a less aggressive deficit will protect the muscle you have. If you're smart about it and or new to training you can grow in a deficit, but don't worry about that. Just maintain.

Is it worth taking belly circumference measures in inches every weigh in too?

Personal preference mate, I weigh myself daily as that's what works best for me. I'm a massive advocate of flexible dieting, however I eat the same foods 5-6 days a week so don't have that many fluctuations aka head f*cks lol.

If your really want motivation then don't use a measuring tape, use string. Get a piece of string and put a loop in one end, wrap the string around you and snip off the opposite end where it meets the loop. Next week take that piece of string and wrap it around you in the same place. If you've lost weight the opposite end should go through the loop, and repeat.

Yes just some free weights at home. 

If that's the case mate then id do abbreviated routines

A

DB Inc Press

Lat Pull Down

Shrugs

Bis & Tris

B

BB Shoulder Press

DB Row

DB Fly

Bis & Tris

C

Dips

BB Row

DB Lateral Raise

Bis & Tris

1 hour ago, Harry91 said:

Using myfitnesspal for everything bud. 200g boneless chicken thighs (cooked weight). How many cals should they be? 238 is what iv found on a few searches

Naturally, it depends on a lot of factors with chicken thighs.

Boneless, skin on or skin off etc...

Look at the link below for a MFP log for chicken thighs that are boneless, skinless and grilled.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/grilled-chicken-thigh-boneless-skinless-387758085

1 hour ago, Endomorph84 said:

yea man, and review after 2 weeks.

Bro science, google 1lb of fat and you'll see how much it is, its a lot.

Everyone's the same mate! having a less aggressive deficit will protect the muscle you have. If you're smart about it and or new to training you can grow in a deficit, but don't worry about that. Just maintain.

Personal preference mate, I weigh myself daily as that's what works best for me. I'm a massive advocate of flexible dieting, however I eat the same foods 5-6 days a week so don't have that many fluctuations aka head f*cks lol.

If your really want motivation then don't use a measuring tape, use string. Get a piece of string and put a loop in one end, wrap the string around you and snip off the opposite end where it meets the loop. Next week take that piece of string and wrap it around you in the same place. If you've lost weight the opposite end should go through the loop, and repeat.

If that's the case mate then id do abbreviated routines

A

DB Inc Press

Lat Pull Down

Shrugs

Bis & Tris

B

BB Shoulder Press

DB Row

DB Fly

Bis & Tris

C

Dips

BB Row

DB Lateral Raise

Bis & Tris

My belly is quite protruding atm and very noticeable in work shirts etc

i know u are saying 2300 cals is a sensible amount, just out of curiosity how low do you think i could drop to make it an "aggressive" cut?

in terms of workouts so i would do each of A, B, C 3days in a row so twice a week each making it 6days training and one rest day? Shall i leave out the cardio for now? Only reason is i think id struggle to eat 2300 cals daily anyways

21 minutes ago, WelshFatty said:

Naturally, it depends on a lot of factors with chicken thighs.

Boneless, skin on or skin off etc...

Look at the link below for a MFP log for chicken thighs that are boneless, skinless and grilled.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/grilled-chicken-thigh-boneless-skinless-387758085

Cool not much difference then circa 10 or so cals

15 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

Cool not much difference then circa 10 or so cals

The link I posted is for 100g whereas you essentially have the same amount of calories for 200g.

23 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

i know u are saying 2300 cals is a sensible amount, just out of curiosity how low do you think i could drop to make it an "aggressive" cut?

1000 cals = 2lb a week matey.

23 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

in terms of workouts so i would do each of A, B, C 3days in a row so twice a week each making it 6days training and one rest day? Shall i leave out the cardio for now?

No mate, id do eod or 2 on 1 off. You'll be surprised how well abbreviated training works. Do what works for you, something like....

M - A
T - B
W - Off
T - C
F - A
S - Off
S - Off
M - B
T - C
W - Off
T - A
F - B
S - Off
S - Off etc.

or

M - A
T - Off
W - B
T - Off
F - C
S - Off
S - A
M - Off
T - B
W - Off
T - C
F - Off
S - Off

Because your hitting all upper body parts every session you can afford to miss a session if something comes up and you just jump right back in where you left off.

Do cardio as and when you think you need it mate, id keep it in myself as I think it plays a mega role, but I'm coming from a sports background.

17 minutes ago, WelshFatty said:

The link I posted is for 100g whereas you essentially have the same amount of calories for 200g.

Oh sh*t i get what you are saying now. Im abit lost coz there are quite a few examples on myfitnesspal that match my cals then same time theres a quite a few that match your cals. 

Endo do you mind giving your incite on this please? How many cals in 100g boneless chicken thighs (cooked weight)

12 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

1000 cals = 2lb a week matey.

No mate, id do eod or 2 on 1 off. You'll be surprised how well abbreviated training works. Do what works for you, something like....

M - A
T - B
W - Off
T - C
F - A
S - Off
S - Off
M - B
T - C
W - Off
T - A
F - B
S - Off
S - Off etc.

or

M - A
T - Off
W - B
T - Off
F - C
S - Off
S - A
M - Off
T - B
W - Off
T - C
F - Off
S - Off

Because your hitting all upper body parts every session you can afford to miss a session if something comes up and you just jump right back in where you left off.

Do cardio as and when you think you need it mate, id keep it in myself as I think it plays a mega role, but I'm coming from a sports background.

Ok mate im with ya. 

Just one last thing, you said you eat the same diet 5 days a week...if you dont mind could you share it with me and i can adjust quantities to suit my needs?

or am i right in assuming aslong as i hit say 100g protein daily then it doest matter which macros i fill the rest of my daily calories with?

16 hours ago, Harry91 said:

if you dont mind could you share it with me and i can adjust quantities to suit my needs?

No probs mate, its very boring but I like it. Due to my shift this week its...…
1 - Sesame bagel, 3 rashers bacon, 5g Butter, 1 egg and a latte.
2 - 75g Oats, 32g Whey, 110g milk, 50g Blueberries. (This is overnight oats).
3 - 2 Wholemeal Rolls, 125g Cooked Ham, 10g Mustad, 1 pack of Teddy Faces/ Pom Bears and a Banana 
4 - 125g Basmati Rice, 166g 10% Beef Mince, 50g Petit Pois with Sriracha Sauce.
5 - 250g of 0% Greek yog and 25g Moser Roth 70% Dark Chocolate.

Next week it will be...…
1 - 75g Oats, 32g Whey, 110g milk, 50g Blueberries.  (This is overnight oats).
2 - 125g Basmati Rice, 166g 10% Beef Mince, 50g Petit Pois with Sriracha Sauce.
3 - 62g Choco Rice, 150g Milk, 32g Whey.
4 - Will be dinners with the missus approx. 1000 cals IIFYM style.
5 - 250g of 0% Greek Yog and 25g Moser Roth 70% Dark Chocolate.

16 hours ago, Harry91 said:

am i right in assuming aslong as i hit say 100g protein daily then it doest matter which macros i fill the rest of my daily calories with?

You are right mate, but you want to me getting at least 1.6g of protein per KG of BW. So for you that's a bare minimum of 140g.

You need to find a balance though as carbs fuel workouts, protein and fats satiate you. Having low protein will impact recovery/ growth and you will be feeling hungry.

1 hour ago, Endomorph84 said:

No probs mate, its very boring but I like it. Due to my shift this week its...…
1 - Sesame bagel, 3 rashers bacon, 5g Butter, 1 egg and a latte.
2 - 75g Oats, 32g Whey, 110g milk, 50g Blueberries. (This is overnight oats).
3 - 2 Wholemeal Rolls, 125g Cooked Ham, 10g Mustad, 1 pack of Teddy Faces/ Pom Bears and a Banana 
4 - 125g Basmati Rice, 166g 10% Beef Mince, 50g Petit Pois with Sriracha Sauce.
5 - 250g of 0% Greek yog and 25g Moser Roth 70% Dark Chocolate.

Next week it will be...…
1 - 75g Oats, 32g Whey, 110g milk, 50g Blueberries.  (This is overnight oats).
2 - 125g Basmati Rice, 166g 10% Beef Mince, 50g Petit Pois with Sriracha Sauce.
3 - 62g Choco Rice, 150g Milk, 32g Whey.
4 - Will be dinners with the missus approx. 1000 cals IIFYM style.
5 - 250g of 0% Greek Yog and 25g Moser Roth 70% Dark Chocolate.

You are right mate, but you want to me getting at least 1.6g of protein per KG of BW. So for you that's a bare minimum of 140g.

You need to find a balance though as carbs fuel workouts, protein and fats satiate you. Having low protein will impact recovery/ growth and you will be feeling hungry.

So aslong as i hit 140g protein i dont need to oblige by the 50/30/20 c/f/p % splits rule? Is this even a legit rule or just some bro science again?

also in regards to the lifting exercises you have advised, what would be the sets and reps for each? 3x10? 

"Bis and tris" which exercises would you say are best and again how many sets and reps please mate?

19 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

So aslong as i hit 140g protein i dont need to oblige by the 50/30/20 c/f/p % splits rule? Is this even a legit rule or just some bro science again?

Wouldn't call it a legit rule nor bro science to be honest mate. The recommended % of fats from your diet is 20% to help with mineral absorption and  maintaining natural testosterone levels etc.  I prefer more fats, its personal preference.

19 minutes ago, Harry91 said:

also in regards to the lifting exercises you have advised, what would be the sets and reps for each? 3x10? 

"Bis and tris" which exercises would you say are best and again how many sets and reps please mate?

3 sets of 10, 12 or 15 is fine mate, whatever floats your boat. Go heavier where you can mate. I like sets of 4-6 or 6-8 on some compounds. For example I like sets of 6 on Kroc (DB) Rows. Each to their own.

RE: your arms the best exercises are what you can access. Just keep to the basics IMO.

For Triceps you wont get better than Dips. If you are able to do overhead extensions, kick backs or press downs then do them. But Dips are king!

For Biceps do exercises with both a supinated and neutral (hammer) grip.

As these are isolation exercises then sets of 12-20.

Thanks for all your help mate really appreciate it.

From today i will aim for 2000 (net) cals daily 

will report my progress on here which should help other lurkers im sure. Just realised i first registered back in 2013!! Lol 

One week update:

So been eating 1900 cals for a week now starting weight 87kg.

weighed myself this first thing this morning (after a big s**t) 86.7kg.

Little no progress so from today i will adapt the below protocol:

1500cals intake (700 deficit from 2.2k maintenance)

i will try IF, 16hr fasts so eating window will be midday to 8pm

macros: 150g protein,  76g fats (0.4g per lb bodyweight) and the rest will be filled by carbs

Midday first meal, tuna can 6pm before weights, then final meal 8pm 

i will do 10k steps during work so approx 500cals burned daily

weights session will be 630pm

lets see if the scale starts moving throughout this week

You've gone the opposite direction to me lol. I went from IF eating 18-1900 calories a day and losing no weight at all to sacking off the IF and eating 23-2500 calories a day and after nearly 2 weeks of doing that the weight  is coming off nicely.

Id say during that 2 weeks I've lost between 2.5-3 pounds.

Listen to Endo mate he knows his s**t.

23 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

You've gone the opposite direction to me lol. I went from IF eating 18-1900 calories a day and losing no weight at all to sacking off the IF and eating 23-2500 calories a day and after nearly 2 weeks of doing that the weight  is coming off nicely.

Id say during that 2 weeks I've lost between 2.5-3 pounds.

Listen to Endo mate he knows his s**t.

So basically i had the calories of my daily chicken intake literally recorded 400 less in error. So throughout the month of Jan where i was thinking  my daily was 1500 it was infact 1900-2000 daily. I litterally had no change in weight in 4weeks, so to my understanding 1900 must be my maintenance. 

If i recall  correctly i believe we weigh similar, im 87kg. So if your losing weight at 2500cals daily then you must have alot of muscle compared to me. I have next to no muscle back in march lockdown i bulked on 2500cals and gained 10kg in 3months.

Also i have realised my level of activity is defo sedatey as my average step count last week was like 2000 per day. I will be doin 10k daily from yesterday so 500cals burn approx