Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gymaddict1986

Need a new series to watch

Recommended Posts

On 1/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, gymaddict1986 said:

stranger things 

 

I didn't watch it because I thought it would be a childish series.

Is it as I thought? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZeroZeroZero which has recently started on Sky (all episodes available on demand) is superb.

By the people who made Gomorrah but with a much bigger budget.  Covers the coke trade focusing on Mexican Cartels, the Calabrian Ndrangheta and US based brokers.  I’ve just finished episode 6 of 8 and it’s compelling viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gymrat12 said:

I didn't watch it because I thought it would be a childish series.

Is it as I thought? 

It’s brilliant if you grew up in the 80s - very nostalgic.  Loved watching it with my older kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 9:42 AM, Kazza61 said:

You are patting yourself on the back for recommending shows that have already been recommended on a review website?? Genius!

To be honest, pathetic is being guided on what to watch by a skewed number on IMDB. Their reviews are now so politicised they’re almost pointless. Free your mind and search out shows that went under the radar or didn’t just pander the masses. And stop thinking you’re cleverer than others just because you stick to recommending safe mainstream stuff.

I've been using IMDB for ~20 years now and the score is pretty accurate if you know how it works.

For TV series it's like this:
8 or higher - good show
Between 7 and 8 - average show
Below 7 - junk, not worth watching

Their reviews might be politicized, but the general score is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, neverminder said:

I've been using IMDB for ~20 years now and the score is pretty accurate if you know how it works.

For TV series it's like this:
8 or higher - good show
Between 7 and 8 - average show
Below 7 - junk, not worth watching

 

That's absolute genius! I've often wondered how review sites worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

That's absolute genius! I've often wondered how review sites worked. 

Not review sites, specifically IMDB. I said if you know how it works, because the actual score is different for TV shows and movies. I don't know why, but there's more tolerance for movies:

8 or higher - very good movie
Between 7 and 8 - good movie
Between 6 and 7 - average movie
Below 6 - junk, not worth watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, neverminder said:

Not review sites, specifically IMDB. I said if you know how it works, because the actual score is different for TV shows and movies. I don't know why, but there's more tolerance for movies:

8 or higher - very good movie
Between 7 and 8 - good movie
Between 6 and 7 - average movie
Below 6 - junk, not worth watching

The scores are simply aggregated ratings from 1 to 10 submitted by registered users. It's easier to vote politically than it to write a review. 

So you have never watched a movie that scored 8 or above and thought it was rubbish? And you have never watched  a TV show that scored below 7 and enjoyed it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kazza61 said:

The scores are simply aggregated ratings from 1 to 10 submitted by registered users. It's easier to vote politically than it to write a review. 

So you have never watched a movie that scored 8 or above and thought it was rubbish? And you have never watched  a TV show that scored below 7 and enjoyed it?

Yeah, I am one of those users. Maybe the day will come when Hollywood starts paying more attention to IMDB and manipulating the votes, I will ditch it then.

Every rule has an exception and in this case it's just personal taste, but like I said - I've been using IMDB for the last 20 years and so far the scores are accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ironman TS said:

ZeroZeroZero which has recently started on Sky (all episodes available on demand) is superb.

By the people who made Gomorrah but with a much bigger budget.  Covers the coke trade focusing on Mexican Cartels, the Calabrian Ndrangheta and US based brokers.  I’ve just finished episode 6 of 8 and it’s compelling viewing.

Just finished tonight. Great bit of tv. Here’s hoping for season 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GMDJ said:

Who ever recommend sharp objects thanks. first 2 episodes a bit slow but picked up. Class acting and if like murder, suspense shows it is worth a watch for sure.

Fcuking taking the credit for that. How good is Amy Adams (lead actress)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 6:17 PM, TERBO said:

Like I said before, be prepared to be annoyed that the season just cuts off mid way through, no real ending lol.

Just finished it.  Absolutely loved it. I was ok with the ending to be honest. If it was a book that would have been the end of the chapter and hopefully the next chapter will show how he deals with being stuck between the cartel and law enforcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a few episodes in to a good one called Shadowplay. About an American sent to the ruins of Berlin after the war to help set up a functioning police force. He ends up investigating some pretty gruesome crimes against a backdrop of distrust between the Americans, Germans, British and Russians. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 6:02 AM, Davemp said:

Marcella season 3 was good 

+1 for this, not as good as the last 2 and she's really not that likable in this series but still definitely worth a watch on ITV player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best one I've seen in a long time is No Man's Land. About a guy who thinks he's seen his dead sister in a news report from ISIS occupied Syria and sets off to see if it actually is her. In French, English, Kurdish and whatever language those ISIS fellas talk. The version I downloaded had English subs for the non-English parts already hard coded. The story really pulls you in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2021 at 4:08 PM, Pez189 said:

Cecil hotel... that was interesting. Only 4 episodes but was totally gripped so banged it out in one sitting. Well worth a watch (don’t Wana give too much away by talking about it). 

The conspiracy theorists on it were so dumb it’s unreal. “Ah think the police department killed her!”  
 

It’s 5/10 gripping but these people are just thick. “Ah don’t understand whah she left tha hotel to go saht-seein fah tha day and then came back to tha hotel laduh that day?” Uhm, because she had paid to stay there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started ‘Behind her eyes’ last night. Bono’s daughter is in it. The lead girl is hot but it’s the story I like. On Netflix. 
 

Watched a documentary called ‘Crack’ on Sunday. Great viewing. 
 

4 Eps into ‘Devils’. Some honeys in that too but it’s the story I enjoy :beer: Sky Atlantic doing the biz. Decent acting in it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

The conspiracy theorists on it were so dumb it’s unreal. “Ah think the police department killed her!”  
 

It’s 5/10 gripping but these people are just thick. “Ah don’t understand whah she left tha hotel to go saht-seein fah tha day and then came back to tha hotel laduh that day?” Uhm, because she had paid to stay there? 

Ha yeah. And what was with the guy who was randomly obsessed with the case? He created a Facebook account for it then visited her grave for “closure”, seemed very odd. 

And the British couple from Plymouth, on their holidays in LA. “We had no idea the hotel was in a bad area and there’d be homeless people in LA, we was well shocked”.  Thick f*cks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished all 3 seasons of marvels DareDevil, was actually really decent tbh. 

Later found on Reddit that your supposed to watch all the marvel shows in a certain order. So Jessica Jones> Daredevil>Luke cage>Iron fist  and so on 

I began watching Jessica jones, lol. f**k that. 
A female superhero, with a weird rapey villain? 
Now I cba watching any of them them since parts won’t make sense


 

Any new recommendations fellas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aLadNamedAsh said:

Finished all 3 seasons of marvels DareDevil, was actually really decent tbh. 

Later found on Reddit that your supposed to watch all the marvel shows in a certain order. So Jessica Jones> Daredevil>Luke cage>Iron fist  and so on 

I loved Jessica Jones but haven't watched daredevil lol.

Luke Cage S1 was alright but not bothered with S2 and Iron Fist was ridiculous as was The Defenders.

(Luke slept with Jessica in his S1 and you don't really need to know much more)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×