Sign in to follow this  
scottysafc

Weight just isn't dropping off.

I appreciate a few people have given me advice on another thread to try and bulk up, but with gyms closed I'm sticking to (trying to) losing weight for now. Problem is, the weight just isn't dropping off.

I weigh myself every morning and I come in between 14 stone 3 and 14 stone 8. I weighed this back in early December when I started dieting.

6ft 2, 30 years old. Very sedentary lifestyle, working from home 10-6.30 and apart from a 4-5 mile jog every morning, I'm sat on my arse.  I'm currently eating 1800 calories a day and have been since 2nd December.

No movement on the scales, I'm losing size but mainly upper back/shoulders and arms and this just seems to make my belly look bigger.

A typical day food-wise:

Meal one: 4 poached eggs & 2 slices of wholemeal toast. (Roughly 500 cals)

Meal two: 240g smoked salmon, 100g boiled taties & some broccoli. (Roughly 600 cals)

Meal three: 50g porridge in milk. (Roughly 500 cals)

I might have 2 or 3 biscuits a day as well, probably 10 cups of tea/coffee all day.

I can't get my head around it, I'm starving all day, running on a morning and nouts happening.

Objective: I've done the whole get big thing before. Now that I'm getting on I just want to be healthier and look muscly/lean (6pack) but not go daft on size. If that makes any sense ha!

Any advice anyone?

I was really hoping to be in the position to eat in a small surplus when the gyms open. That seems miles away.

14 hours ago, scottysafc said:

I appreciate a few people have given me advice on another thread to try and bulk up, but with gyms closed I'm sticking to (trying to) losing weight for now. Problem is, the weight just isn't dropping off.

I weigh myself every morning and I come in between 14 stone 3 and 14 stone 8. I weighed this back in early December when I started dieting.

6ft 2, 30 years old. Very sedentary lifestyle, working from home 10-6.30 and apart from a 4-5 mile jog every morning, I'm sat on my arse.  I'm currently eating 1800 calories a day and have been since 2nd December.

No movement on the scales, I'm losing size but mainly upper back/shoulders and arms and this just seems to make my belly look bigger.

A typical day food-wise:

Meal one: 4 poached eggs & 2 slices of wholemeal toast. (Roughly 500 cals)

Meal two: 240g smoked salmon, 100g boiled taties & some broccoli. (Roughly 600 cals)

Meal three: 50g porridge in milk. (Roughly 500 cals)

I might have 2 or 3 biscuits a day as well, probably 10 cups of tea/coffee all day.

I can't get my head around it, I'm starving all day, running on a morning and nouts happening.

Objective: I've done the whole get big thing before. Now that I'm getting on I just want to be healthier and look muscly/lean (6pack) but not go daft on size. If that makes any sense ha!

Any advice anyone?

I was really hoping to be in the position to eat in a small surplus when the gyms open. That seems miles away.

You have to track all the food you are eating, and if you are not losing lower, you cannot be tracking accurately 

27 minutes ago, Davemp said:

Are you also tracking what you drink ? 

yeah mate I have 2 cups of coffee on a morning then maybe 5 or 6 cups of tea. About 100ml of semi skimmed milk in all that.  I only drink water other than a can of coke on a Sunday.

Although I did drink lager on xmas eve, xmas day, new years eve and day. 20 cans all in over the 4 days.

Strange then 

lager average 180 cals per can 

digestive - 80 cals each 

Coke 140 cals per can 

without sounding rude have you watched secret eaters ? People are filmed over a week and are surprised by how much crap they shovel in without knowing (or so they say) 

15 hours ago, scottysafc said:

You're calories are far far too low so its having adverse effects!

Im 36, 5ft 10 and 97kg with a normal metabolism.

Like you, I work from a desk for 7 hours a day.

I do only do 2 x 40 minute KB workouts a week, and walk 30 mins (I average  6,700 steps) a day.

I'm losing 0.7kg a week on 2500 cals, can you see the difference? The difference is my body isn't in a chronically stressed state and I'm not starving my self, like you.

You need to eat more and move less. Take the rest of the week off your diet by eating maintenance and don't go running, basically relax.

On Sunday, recalculate your macros by multiplying your bodyweight in lbs by 15 and thank me in 2 weeks.

Be aware that you will put water weight on between now and Sunday if you chose to take my advice, that'll drop off come a week Thursday/ Friday.

If you want more in depth info then that's fine, I will help you. But you got to help yourself first by resetting your cortisol and metabolism.

22 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

You're calories are far far too low so its having adverse effects!

Im 36, 5ft 10 and 97kg with a normal metabolism.

Like you, I work from a desk for 7 hours a day.

I do only do 2 x 40 minute KB workouts a week, and walk 30 mins (I average  6,700 steps) a day.

I'm losing 0.7kg a week on 2500 cals, can you see the difference? The difference is my body isn't in a chronically stressed state and I'm not starving my self, like you.

You need to eat more and move less. Take the rest of the week off your diet by eating maintenance and don't go running, basically relax.

On Sunday, recalculate your macros by multiplying your bodyweight in lbs by 15 and thank me in 2 weeks.

Be aware that you will put water weight on between now and Sunday if you chose to take my advice, that'll drop off come a week Thursday/ Friday.

If you want more in depth info then that's fine, I will help you. But you got to help yourself first by resetting your cortisol and metabolism.

Rubbish talk the reason you are losing weight is the calories burnt from walking, you could just eat less and not waste time walking.

@scottysafc   just use the link and pick cutting calories https://tdeecalculator.net/

1 hour ago, PERFECT said:

Rubbish talk the reason you are losing weight is the calories burnt from walking, you could just eat less and not waste time walking.

@scottysafc   just use the link and pick cutting calories https://tdeecalculator.net/

HAHA wtf you bell end?! How's that rubbish? I know I could just eat less and not waste time walking. But the benefits of daily exercise are far superior you idiot. And I quite like my daily walks, thank you very much.

Differences aside, hes not eating enough and his body is stressed.

You're far from perfect, you cvnt.

Cheers everyone I think I'm going to have a week off and then reset. TBH I've had a lot of stress so far this year anyway and I'm about one bad day away from doing myself in so probably for best. 

Boris needs to let us all back in the gym ASAP!!

The thing that has me puzzled is I've lost a lot of size but if anything my weights gone up... I remember weighing myself 1st week of Nov and I was 14 stone 2 pounds. Now since then I've dieted, built up to a 4-5 mile jog, started gym again in Dec focusing on compound lifts. Since the gyms were closed again I've lost loads of size on shoulders, arms and upper back. When I tense my chest there's clearly less muscle there. Don't get me wrong I look like I've lost fat as well.

Only thing I can think of is I stopped smoking back end of October. Maybe it's the extra water I'm drinking?

EDIT: Actually, could it be a combination of noob gains & muscle memory in them 4 weeks I was back in the gym? Even if I was eating in a deficit?

On 21/01/2021 at 1:09 PM, Davemp said:

Strange then 

lager average 180 cals per can 

digestive - 80 cals each 

Coke 140 cals per can 

without sounding rude have you watched secret eaters ? People are filmed over a week and are surprised by how much crap they shovel in without knowing (or so they say) 

Haha definitely not mate I've been super strict to the point of obsessing over it. At first I thought it might be the case of having to wait a couple of weeks or three to see some movement but if anything it went up. 

10 hours ago, scottysafc said:

The thing that has me puzzled is I've lost a lot of size but if anything my weights gone up...

You've lost muscle glycogen which will be the reason you have lost size.

Your weight has gone up due to edema, this is where your body is holding on to an unnecessary amount of water weight (to maintain homeostasis) due to the stressed situation it is in (i.e moving too much and not eating enough).

Taking next week off is 100% the right thing to do mate and enjoy it.

After you've enjoyed next week you need to find a balance, if you have too big of a deficit then you'll be back to square one in no time at all. Aim for 1lb-1.5lb a week weight loss. Its a marathon, not a sprint!

20 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

HAHA wtf you bell end?! How's that rubbish? I know I could just eat less and not waste time walking. But the benefits of daily exercise are far superior you idiot. And I quite like my daily walks, thank you very much.

Differences aside, hes not eating enough and his body is stressed.

You're far from perfect, you cvnt.

Exactly so you have no idea what you're talking about, telling people to eat more and walk more, when he could just eat less or the same and not need a deficit through walking, jog on with your useless advice m8

14 minutes ago, PERFECT said:

Exactly so you have no idea what you're talking about, telling people to eat more and walk more, when he could just eat less or the same and not need a deficit through walking, jog on with your useless advice m8

Nowhere have I told OP to walk or even move more. You thick cvnt!

Regardless whether you agree or not, at least I'm trying to help. Just telling OP to use a TDEE calculator isn't answering any of the problems he's currently having. How on earth your account got verified with the trash you post is beyond me

With respect to posters dishing out the advice, I've used the TDEE calculator and in fairness it says I should be eating around 2600 - 2800 calories for maintenance taking into account my activity levels.

So eating at 1800 is maybe overkill.  Its been 2 months now and obviously isn't working for me and I feel like s**t and hungry all the time so I'm up to try something new and see where it takes me.

It's not like the gyms are going to open in Feb like I was hoping, so there's no rush. It's a marathon not a sprint. I'm taking the attitude of I want to do it properly. In the past I've just shovelled stupid amounts of food into me to get big and although it worked - that's why I am where I am now, with too much fat that I'm struggling to shift.

I'm going to have a break until next weekend, obviously not going to go daft, then re-assess. I'm thinking go in at 2300 calories??? Do that for 2-3 weeks and then raise or reduce from there.

If the gyms were to re-open while I'm doing this do you's have any advice on that? Bearing in mid my goal is to be lean. I have pretty much f**k all muscle going atm to be fair.

1 hour ago, PERFECT said:

Horrible, uninformed advice. You should refrain from giving ‘advice’, it’s terrible.

@Endomorph84 is spot on.

51 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

I've used the TDEE calculator and in fairness it says I should be eating around 2600 - 2800 calories for maintenance taking into account my activity levels

I think you may have underestimated your activity levels mate. Id start your diet at 2500.

Just be aware that you will put water weight on next week due to water retention etc, don't panic. Expect a significant drop again after 4-5 days when you lose that water weight from. So determine your weight loss by taking an average of loss between 1st Feb and the 14th.

Don't worry about your cals for when gyms open mate, because it could be sometime. Deal with that when you get there, but I imagine you'll be able to carry on eating the around the same if the exercise frequency is the same.

6 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

I think you may have underestimated your activity levels mate. Id start your diet at 2500.

Just be aware that you will put water weight on next week due to water retention etc, don't panic. Expect a significant drop again after 4-5 days when you lose that water weight from. So determine your weight loss by taking an average of loss between 1st Feb and the 14th.

Don't worry about your cals for when gyms open mate, because it could be sometime. Deal with that when you get there, but I imagine you'll be able to carry on eating the around the same if the exercise frequency is the same.

Cheers mate! I'll do exactly that and see what happens. 

3 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

How you feeling @scottysafc? Have you been eating at least maintenance this week? 

Yeah mate I'm enjoying not starving myself ha! I don't feel physically exhausted anymore.

Not much movement on weight but it's only my 4th day so hopefully see some results after a couple of weeks ?.

34 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

Yeah mate I'm enjoying not starving myself ha! I don't feel physically exhausted anymore.

Not much movement on weight but it's only my 4th day so hopefully see some results after a couple of weeks ?.

Haha, ok mate. Enjoy the next few days too.

Its likely that you've retained water through muscle glycogen but have dropped the water you were holding, so will have balanced out.

I had a big drop out of nowhere on Tuesday, but my body weight is higher again today, even though I've eaten the same things everyday since Monday lol. The body is a crazy thing, just gotta trust the process.

So yea, start fresh Monday 1st Feb. and se what you weigh 14th/ 15th Feb and that'll give you the average of your deficit. Then you'll know if you need to add cals or take away.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

43 minutes ago, hmgs said:

PERFECT == yet another pseudonym (?)

Deffo mate. He's stopped replying to my DMs and hasn't been on for a while, I'm worried about him.. Boo hoo!

But its ok, his other 2 profiles are still active lol.

I'm enjoying eating a range of healthier meals at the minute, rather than the KFC, takeaway and 2 litres of coke every day (and 20 quids worth of skunk) during most of 2020. It's a bit extra experience in cooking different stuff up as well  - I even bought some Almond Milk but that went straight down the drain :lol:

But I still find myself hankering after a big f**k off greasy kebab. I almost convinced myself it was Friday earlier as I tend to get a meat and chips  on a Friday.

@Endomorph84 What is your take on a cheat meal (or day)? I feel like I'd be letting myself down, but at the same time It could help with motivation having something to look forward too. I'm thinking of maybe meeting myself half way - half an Asda pizza and a handful of chips and maybe do an extra half or full mile jog.

Can ya tell I've been a pig for the last 10 years :lol::boohoo:

27 minutes ago, scottysafc said:

@Endomorph84 What is your take on a cheat meal (or day)? I feel like I'd be letting myself down, but at the same time It could help with motivation having something to look forward too

You're not letting yourself down if you've earnt it mate, but you need to be sincere IMO.

Definitions of cheat meal will vary, I don't really have them. If I do it'll likely be sporadic. If I'm at home and either my missus or I want randomly crave a curry from the Indian or a Pizza then we wont say no. As long as I think I've earnt it by keeping to my diet for at least couple of weeks.

If I know I'm going out for a meal (Sunday Roasts are my vice and I used to go for one most Sundays) then I will back fill my calories to the late afternoon, but make sure I get at least 100g or so of protein throughout the day and keep fat to a minimum. I will also make sure I train that day where possible.

Saying that, if I go away for a weekend or over to visit my parents etc then I wont track, but I wont take the piss, and ill have what I want inc plenty of Beer and Whisky. Sometimes you need that, you need to let go. Life's too short.

Quite a few times I've had a sporadic meal and drinks out with friends or family and I've woken up the next morning and I've lost a significant amount of weight due to a good nights sleep as my body's lymphatic system resetting.

If it was for contest prep etc then it'd be a different. But IMO your average person in a 500-700 cal deficit shouldn't be craving foods/ wanting cheat meals, its a kop out.