Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fors331

Can anyone help me understand a tattoo stencil?

Recommended Posts

When looking at a stencil its so confusing, i dont get what parts suppose to be shading, solid colours, light shading, left untouched.. i know people look at the actual photo while tattooing but that is only for reference, need to suss a stencil out

 

for example the following picture, the lines on that stencil make no sense and doesn't seem to match up with the photo?

1E870FE9-2C44-450D-BE1E-B3ECCFFA355B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you need to understand it? Only Your tattooist does. Also (from that picture), I’d put good money on the fact that stencil was not used in the creation of that tattoo, like you said, it does not match up at all.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, G-man99 said:

Maybe ask a tattooist and not some half baked gym monkeys 

Cant stand tattooists, not my cup of teaaaa, plenty of vids on youtube but not really specific to my question, presume its basic stuff that isent that specific and just a rough guide as they are hardly engineers in there work:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fors331 said:

Cant stand tattooists, not my cup of teaaaa, plenty of vids on youtube but not really specific to my question, presume its basic stuff that isent that specific and just a rough guide as they are hardly engineers in there work:lol:

Not engineers but they are artists, the good ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Why do you need to understand it? Only Your tattooist does. Also (from that picture), I’d put good money on the fact that stencil was not used in the creation of that tattoo, like you said, it does not match up at all.  
 

There’s loads of photos like this. I can’t remember who creates these stencils but it does look like this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, todai said:

There’s loads of photos like this. I can’t remember who creates these stencils but it does look like this 

Fair enough. Just Never seen a stencil like that myself.. and I’m pretty covered in tattoos lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, todai said:

Also covered. Never had one either but found the link for you

https://instagram.com/inkjetstencils?igshid=18jfabydx3so4

 

Thanks for link. See those images and stencils match up. The one OP refereed too does seem odd but just IMO. Every tattooist works differently in what they need to reference to when creating the work, some can even do amazing portraits completely free hand. I’m still not sure I understand @Fors331 objective with trying to understand this anyway? Or have I missed something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

Thanks for link. See those images and stencils match up. The one OP refereed too does seem odd but just IMO. Every tattooist works differently in what they need to reference to when creating the work, some can even do amazing portraits completely free hand. I’m still not sure I understand @Fors331 objective with trying to understand this anyway? Or have I missed something? 

Like I said that’s one place of many, other stencils will be out there. I guess with experience the tattooist will understand. 
 

also don’t know, I just wanna pay a good guy for a job well done. Don’t care how it’s done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, todai said:

Like I said that’s one place of many, other stencils will be out there. I guess with experience the tattooist will understand. 
 

also don’t know, I just wanna pay a good guy for a job well done. Don’t care how it’s done 

Exactly. Same with surgery or when you see a specialist in a way, you’re paying for someone else’s expertise, don’t necessarily need the knowledge yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, todai said:

There’s loads of photos like this. I can’t remember who creates these stencils but it does look like this 

Can you post some images? I don't have Instagram 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fors331 said:

Cant stand tattooists, not my cup of teaaaa, plenty of vids on youtube but not really specific to my question, presume its basic stuff that isent that specific and just a rough guide as they are hardly engineers in there work:lol:

Yet you started a thread on an opaque grey design for your flabby, untrained quad a few weeks back. 

Yet another spaz post by you, Fors, you bell end! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Thanks for link. See those images and stencils match up. The one OP refereed too does seem odd but just IMO. Every tattooist works differently in what they need to reference to when creating the work, some can even do amazing portraits completely free hand. I’m still not sure I understand @Fors331 objective with trying to understand this anyway? Or have I missed something? 

I must be on @todai 's ignore list. Can you post some image examples in that Instagram link as I have no access to it?

Having googled images for inkjet stencils I see nothing like the example foreskin posted 

I can quite confidently say 100% that that tattoo above did not come from that stencil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, safc49 said:

I must be on @todai 's ignore list. Can you post some image examples in that Instagram link as I have no access to it?

Having googled images for inkjet stencils I see nothing like the example foreskin posted 

I can quite confidently say 100% that that tattoo above did not come from that stencil 

 

77B9464F-998A-4477-8E79-9C63F4543641.png

74B7315E-D6BB-4092-81D6-34E444E1321F.png

1EA8D640-31A9-4F23-95B7-2659D333D38F.png

7CFF8A10-1C16-4349-A8FA-6E03D476FFBB.png

8F365D56-8828-4CA5-A1B7-4321B40DE7E4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

 

77B9464F-998A-4477-8E79-9C63F4543641.png

74B7315E-D6BB-4092-81D6-34E444E1321F.png

1EA8D640-31A9-4F23-95B7-2659D333D38F.png

7CFF8A10-1C16-4349-A8FA-6E03D476FFBB.png

8F365D56-8828-4CA5-A1B7-4321B40DE7E4.png

Cheers. That's what I could see with Google. Those stencils give a guide to the major reference points and resemble the final piece. The stencil in the op doesn't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive asked this question a long time ago to my tattooist, he was showing me some pictures for the mrs and some of the stencils looked more busier than the actual piece and he told me some of his detail in his stencil where for guide only but this was only in the real detailed work where there was several different levels of shading. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, safc49 said:

Cheers. That's what I could see with Google. Those stencils give a guide to the major reference points and resemble the final piece. The stencil in the op doesn't 

Yeah weird isn’t it. Glad I’m not alone in thinking in that as Something doesn’t add up. Still wondering why he needs to know though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

Yeah weird isn’t it. Glad I’m not alone in thinking in that as Something doesn’t add up. Still wondering why he needs to know though..

He must be thinking of trying to trace that stencil to self tattoo onto his thigh lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Fors331 said:

When looking at a stencil its so confusing, i dont get what parts suppose to be shading, solid colours, light shading, left untouched.. i know people look at the actual photo while tattooing but that is only for reference, need to suss a stencil out

 

for example the following picture, the lines on that stencil make no sense and doesn't seem to match up with the photo?

1E870FE9-2C44-450D-BE1E-B3ECCFFA355B.jpeg

Just hop on Ebay get the tattoo gun ordered and have a crack. 

It's just lots of little pricks. 

Not like its rocket science. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sean m said:

Just hop on Ebay get the tattoo gun ordered and have a crack. 

It's just lots of little pricks. 

Not like its rocket science. 

I could be wrong but I think I remember foreskin saying he had the equipment. Obviously seems like rocket science to him as he still hasn't figured it out :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, safc49 said:

I must be on @todai 's ignore list. Can you post some image examples in that Instagram link as I have no access to it?

Having googled images for inkjet stencils I see nothing like the example foreskin posted 

I can quite confidently say 100% that that tattoo above did not come from that stencil 

Meant to do it. Ended up doing something else. 
 

i disagree that it didn’t but then I’m not a tattooist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Or have I missed something?

Mate, I think you have. Don’t quote me on this but I’m sure one of his threads was about DIYing tattoos, followed by another thread about removal/covering, and yet another asking about shading or something. OMFG..! :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×