Pez189

Who plays a musical instrument?

Anyone an experienced player or picked up something during lockdown? 

I’ve Been teaching myself guitar (mainly with Justin guitar & Martymusic on YouTube), since feb last year.  Still not very good but getting better (slowly). I have a epiphone SG electric And a Yamaha acoustic.  Thinking about investing in some proper lessons soon. 

1AEF832E-5F68-47BB-96E2-6A839B39B006.jpeg

Piano, We bought a cheap electric one during the lockdown earlier in the year . We were stuck in side for months (China). 

Surprising still at it , enjoying it actually , the apps make it more interesting but really need lessons 

8 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

Piano, We bought a cheap electric one during the lockdown earlier in the year . We were stuck in side for months (China). 

Surprising still at it , enjoying it actually , the apps make it more interesting but really need lessons 

Awesome. How you finding it? I imagine there’s loads of good YouTube videos for piano stuff aswell. 

30 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

I’ve Been teaching myself guitar (mainly with Justin guitar & Martymusic on YouTube), since feb last year.  Still not very good but getting better (slowly). I have a epiphone SG electric And a Yamaha acoustic.  Thinking about investing in some proper lessons soon. 

That' s awesome man, have you been picking up many riffs?

I play the guitar too, got to grade 5 on the classical guitar but ended up sticking with the electric, I really need to play more, just never make time for it atm. Loved jamming along to Iron Maiden and Metallica. I have a Gibson Explorer but really want an electro acoustic. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-20 at 11.42.44.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Zoob1234 said:

That' s awesome man, have you been picking up many riffs?

I play the guitar too, got to grade 5 on the classical guitar but ended up sticking with the electric, I really need to play more, just never make time for it atm. Loved jamming along to Iron Maiden and Metallica. I have a Gibson Explorer but really want an electro acoustic. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-20 at 11.42.44.jpeg

Nice axe :thumb

I can do a few very basic things on electric. Some AC/DC, Queen, white stripes etc. About 10 seconds of “nothing else matters” lol. I love rock and metal so that’s my aim ultimately, to be shredding gojira and thrash riffs etc but it’s way beyond my current level. Sticking to some Johnny cash on acoustic for now til I get better 

1 minute ago, Pez189 said:

Nice axe :thumb

I can do a few very basic things on electric. Some AC/DC, Queen, white stripes etc. About 10 seconds of “nothing else matters” lol. I love rock and metal so that’s my aim ultimately, to be shredding gojira and thrash riffs etc but it’s way beyond my current level. Sticking to some Johnny cash on acoustic for now til I get better 

Cheers man :) 

That's class!! The hardest bit I've found with playing in the patience in practicing the same thing over and over until it's like riding a bike (the neighbours love it). YouTube was the best way for learning for me. Used to get lessons for electric too but found that if I did things at my own pace it was a lot easier. Do wish I did more work on scales as it would have made improve/solos easier haha. 

Yeah man!! "Nothing else matters" and "for whom the bell tolls" were some of the first tracks I learnt :) once you get the patterns down it'll click really quickly.  Can't beat a bit of Cash!!

2 minutes ago, Zoob1234 said:

Cheers man :) 

That's class!! The hardest bit I've found with playing in the patience in practicing the same thing over and over until it's like riding a bike (the neighbours love it). YouTube was the best way for learning for me. Used to get lessons for electric too but found that if I did things at my own pace it was a lot easier. Do wish I did more work on scales as it would have made improve/solos easier haha. 

Yeah man!! "Nothing else matters" and "for whom the bell tolls" were some of the first tracks I learnt :) once you get the patterns down it'll click really quickly.  Can't beat a bit of Cash!!

I’ve just today decided to book some lessons, I was waiting to have some in person but it’s just gona be forever until that can happen so Skype it is. Hopefully il improve faster than just doing stuff myself as it’s got abit stagnant lately. 

Issue I have with electric is the “sound” is dependent on the guitar, the strings, the tuning/intonation, the capo, the amp, the settings, the effects.. like a million different things, which when you’re beginner is abit too much lol. That’s why I’m getting on with the acoustic better for now I think. 

Been learning game of thrones theme too, repeating the same thing over and over so many times that now I can’t stand to hear the bloody thing haha. 

50 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

Awesome. How you finding it? I imagine there’s loads of good YouTube videos for piano stuff aswell. 

Actually it surprised me , was never interested in it before . Missus was pushing for it but she quit after a month.  

Piano is a good one as you can see yourself making progress from the first week whereas with a volin you can still sound shite after a year. The digital ones plug into phones, IPads etc The apps have a pile of songs from all different genres and theme music  from TV shows, not just all classical stuff.  The APP developers are smart about it. They might have say the Game of Thrones theme music in 4 levels of difficulty so you can get going quickly . 

If I stick at it I'll get lessons 

1 minute ago, JohhnyC said:

Actually it surprised me , was never interested in it before . Missus was pushing for it but she quit after a month.  

Piano is a good one as you can see yourself making progress from the first week whereas with a volin you can still sound shite after a year. The digital ones plug into phones, IPads etc The apps have a pile of songs from all different genres and theme music  from TV shows, not just all classical stuff.  The APP developers are smart about it. They might have say the Game of Thrones theme music in 4 levels of difficulty so you can get going quickly . 

If I stick at it I'll get lessons 

Sounds great. I’d say stick at it. I’ve thought about stopping a few times as feels abit too hard to progress at times but like anything in life, keep going, can’t get worse if you keep practicing.. I don’t think. Like my mate said - if Coldplay can become platinum selling artists, there’s hope for all budding musicians. 

I’ve just today decided to book some lessons, I was waiting to have some in person but it’s just gona be forever until that can happen so Skype it is. Hopefully il improve faster than just doing stuff myself as it’s got abit stagnant lately. 

Issue I have with electric is the “sound” is dependent on the guitar, the strings, the tuning/intonation, the capo, the amp, the settings, the effects.. like a million different things, which when you’re beginner is abit too much lol. That’s why I’m getting on with the acoustic better for now I think. 

Been learning game of thrones theme too, repeating the same thing over and over so many times that now I can’t stand to hear the bloody thing haha. 

Yeah, all the settings are great fun to mess about with when you have a tune down and can try to replicate Angus Young or Brian May. But I agree about them being a little overwhelming at the beginning.

Acoustics also have an awesome tone to them, really nice to listen to. Haha no way, that's epic, I was put off "by the way" by the RHCPs for the same reason. How are the fingertips holding up? Remember them hurting like feck when I started aha.

23 minutes ago, Pez189 said:

Metallica Fade to Black would be cracker of one to learn on electric

13 minutes ago, Zoob1234 said:

How are the fingertips holding up? Remember them hurting like feck when I started aha.

First few months = absolute pain. Lol. Bought electric first as the strings are less thick and they’re “easier” to learn on apparently. Not sure I agree with that as a statement tbh. I’m kinda through the pain barrier now but still get the indents on finger tips and pain after practising for ages, think that’s normal though. 

I play the drums. Started when I was 11 with my first drum set. Was banging on pots and pans for a couple of years before that until my parents finally gave in. 

Still manage 4 or 5 hours playing time in total every week. 

First few months = absolute pain. Lol. Bought electric first as the strings are less thick and they’re “easier” to learn on apparently. Not sure I agree with that as a statement tbh. I’m kinda through the pain barrier now but still get the indents on finger tips and pain after practising for ages, think that’s normal though. 

Easier in terms of you don't have to press down too hard on them, haha but after a while they'll smart just as bad.

Yeah it never totally goes, you just can go on for longer :) finger tip gains for the win.

13 minutes ago, PsychedUp said:

Was banging on pots and pans for a couple of years before that until my parents finally gave in. 

It’s Nice to see a long term supporter of the nhs. 

2 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Does deep demonic satanic growls and high metal screams count as an instrument man? :thumb