Harry N

Dumbbell leg exercises?

14 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

Ask Zydrunas Savickas, probably the strongest man who ever lived. It's a staple for him. If you have other glute and ham exercises, probably not absolutely necessary. But they're a great addition especially for anyone who is fairly sedentary during the day.

I do em on a nautilus set up top exercise!!

18 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Do you train glutes?

Any type of press will engage glutes sufficiently if you go deep enough. 

To be honest mate I don’t know of any fella who targets them directly. 

12 minutes ago, Harry N said:

what do you mean by this?

If you’re only using one leg as opposed to two then it’ll increase the overload on that muscle. 

9 minutes ago, Wildkid said:

I just squat with @js77 on my back, I haven’t walked the same since and that was 3 months ago. 

For everyone’s info, his back was fine, it was the ruptured colon that caused the walking issue :thumb

7 minutes ago, js77 said:

For everyone’s info, his back was fine, it was the ruptured colon that caused the walking issue :thumb

Hmmmm ruptured colon you say!

11 minutes ago, js77 said:

I didn’t remember that, that must of been after you asked me ‘does this smell like chloroform’? 

1 hour ago, invisiblekid said:

Is @Wildkid the real life Goatse?!

He was by the time I’d finished with him mate.

Dont you think it’s fascinating how a thread about training legs has all of a sudden turned to talking about Harry’s stretched anus.

Filthy @Wildkid should be banned.

Reported to admin :spammer:

Wrecked knee checking in. 

Slow single leg squats onto a box / bench are a great way to build upto single let squats.

Step ups are also a great quad exercise. Start low and build up. Let the leg you step up with do the work, focus on trying not to push up with the trailing leg 

Single leg Romanian deadlift for the hamstrings glutes etc is a killer aswell.

12 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

Ask Zydrunas Savickas, probably the strongest man who ever lived. It's a staple for him. If you have other glute and ham exercises, probably not absolutely necessary. But they're a great addition especially for anyone who is fairly sedentary during the day.

agree , even if you do squats etc, add a set of them in afterwards and you really feel it 

Although I admit it does feel a bit girly to do in the gym. 

Single Ham curls on a yoga ball is another one that is  harder than it looks 

48 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

Single Ham curls on a yoga ball is another one that is  harder than it looks 

I had to do these as part of my hamstring tear rehab. They're disgusting and will show up any weakness in our hips, hams, glutes or core. 

10 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I had to do these as part of my hamstring tear rehab. They're disgusting and will show up any weakness in our hips, hams, glutes or core. 

anything related to a yoga ball shows up how weak or unbalanced my postural muscles are , 

16 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

For storage of dildos and water melons?

You don’t even want to know what’s left up there. Sometimes I surprise myself. 

15 hours ago, Harry N said:

15 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

Also, try Single-Leg Glute Bridge and hip thrusts 

15 hours ago, Harry N said:

I will do thanks a lot for the advice ill definitely try it.

In terms of hip thrusts, do i really need to do them? aren't they for the chicks.

I was lucky enough to get physio for a couple of months with the senior physio from the area (I am a complicated case) who is well respected and she was quite clear that hip thrust / glute bridge type exercises are essential for everyone. Iirc, the argument was that most people nowadays regardless of training or not, have forgotten how to fire their glute muscles and this produces alot more force and strain on the knees, even during walking. 

55 minutes ago, a.notherguy said:

I was lucky enough to get physio for a couple of months with the senior physio from the area (I am a complicated case) who is well respected and she was quite clear that hip thrust / glute bridge type exercises are essential for everyone. Iirc, the argument was that most people nowadays regardless of training or not, have forgotten how to fire their glute muscles and this produces alot more force and strain on the knees, even during walking. 

For me, weak/inactive glutes were the cause of so many injuries. Glute activation is part of every warmup regardless of what I'm training now

59 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

For me, weak/inactive glutes were the cause of so many injuries. Glute activation is part of every warmup regardless of what I'm training now

I thought my glutes were good (cycles to work almost daily for 20 years, always been a runner, never neglected leg training etc)

I was almost knocked over when she pointed out mine weren't firing properly.