Harry N

Dumbbell leg exercises?

Howdy, I'm trying to keep my gains at home but I only have dumbbells. Obviously I have no problem with upper body but I am struggling to work the legs hard, any advice?

I was doing 1 leg bench lunges and its just made my glutes sore not really my quads.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Harry N said:

Howdy, I'm trying to keep my gains at home but I only have dumbbells. Obviously I have no problem with upper body but I am struggling to work the legs hard, any advice?

I was doing 1 leg bench lunges and its just made my glutes sore not really my quads.

Cheers

Single leg pistol squats. Wall sits. No excuse, cowboy! 

CA50B334-C668-479F-A00A-9D82F0C2C93D.gif

16 minutes ago, Denied said:

Goblet squats, usually do them with a kettle bell but sure a dumbbell would do. Won't need as much weight as you think either.

what percentage of squat weight?

I dont know if i have enough weight

15 minutes ago, Lancashiregent said:

Bulgarian split squat

what i am doing at the moment, is good for glutes but i dont think it works quads hard.

13 minutes ago, Lancashiregent said:

Bulgarian split squat

This mainly but other suggestions are decent but good luck with doing pistol squats.

Should say raised leg Bulgarian split squat. I did these in the summer. Harder than you’d imagine, especially when adding weight (holding dumbbells)

17 minutes ago, Denied said:

Goblet squats, usually do them with a kettle bell but sure a dumbbell would do. Won't need as much weight as you think either.

I just use a 20 plate in the garage. Does the job.

1 minute ago, Sasnak said:

This mainly but other suggestions are decent but good luck with doing pistol squats.

Should say raised leg Bulgarian split squat. I did these in the summer. Harder than you’d imagine, especially when adding weight (holding dumbbells)

What I am doing at the moment finding they f**k up my glutes and nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Harry N said:

i dont think it works quads hard

You’re not doing them properly then. Work on form and raised leg at the correct height 

2 minutes ago, Harry N said:

okay decent, how much do you squat?

My squats are terrible, back issues. I usually squat 60 kg total. Used to lift alot more but just carnt now.

I like to goblet squat as I'm more upright, leg press and hack squat for legs.

My deadlift is the same terrible. 

3 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

You’re not doing them properly then. Work on form and raised leg at the correct height 

when i stand further away from the bench as your ment to i fall over.

21 minutes ago, Denied said:

Goblet squats work fine with a dumbbell. If you've got two dumbbells, clean them to your shoulders and rest them there with your hands securing them and squat from that position. Someone showed me that in a crappy hotel gym that only had a multigym and a rack of dumbbells. Works pretty well. 

Just now, Philfg said:

My squats are terrible, back issues. I usually squat 60 kg total. Used to lift alot more but just carnt now.

I like to goblet squat as I'm more upright, leg press and hack squat for legs.

My deadlift is the same terrible. 

i normally do 90kg for 12.

How much should i do for goblets for 12?

8 minutes ago, Harry N said:

cant do them buddy, no balance.

Work on your balance then!

Christ, the youth of today are right lazy kunts! Clearly you can’t be arsed and as per usual iridium, you ask and are given ideas/options but you either reject or know better.

Stay failing bro. Way to a sh1t life. 

1 minute ago, Harry N said:

i normally do 90kg for 12.

How much should i do for goblets for 12?

No idea. 

I just do more reps when I rarely squat. Doesn't even cross my mind to try and load the bar, been injured so many times now I just dont bother. 

Goblets feel alot more comfortable for me, same again I feel 20kg dumbell or plate comfortable for higher reps. 

1 minute ago, PSevens2017 said:

Work on your balance then!

Christ, the youth of today are right lazy kunts! Clearly you can’t be arsed and as per usual iridium, you ask and are given ideas/options but you either reject or know better.

Stay failing bro. Way to a sh1t life. 

Mate, with the bulgarian split squats i couldn't do them kept falling over so i just went a bit closer and did them.

I am not a lazy guy i just dont have good balance! I'm working on it but it doesnt get better instantly. 

1 minute ago, Philfg said:

No idea. 

I just do more reps when I rarely squat. Doesn't even cross my mind to try and load the bar, been injured so many times now I just dont bother. 

Goblets feel alot more comfortable for me, same again I feel 20kg dumbell or plate comfortable for higher reps. 

okay ill give the goblet squats a go.

What rep range would you recommend? 

4 minutes ago, Harry N said:

when i stand further away from the bench as your ment to i fall over.

Got to admit they are a little tricky but if you study a few pics on google images and maybe a few YouTube videos and find something at home that is the correct height to put your back foot on eventually you’ll get your stance right and you’ll hit the quads effectively.

I lost my balance repeatedly when I first started 

Try doing this...

Basically go outside somewhere stand on one leg keeping your balance, bend the leg your standing on to a 90 degree and then jump as far forward as you can onto the same leg and repeat.

When that leg is burnt to a crisp do the other leg...

I use these to finish as part of my leg workout.

Walking lunges will have a different effect to when elevating one leg on a bench and definitely be easier on your knees.

Stiff leg deads.

Lying hamstring curls can be done on your bed if you do t have a proper bench. Will need someone to place the db between your feet though.

Get a large camping style back pack and fill with 20kg bags of sand which you can get from any builders merchants. Great for squats.

I did all of the above during the first lockdown