Sign in to follow this  
Ares

Fadi's 'Swift Beast'

I was clearing out my bookmarks yesterday and found this post from three years ago, and realised.. I'd never actually tried it. 

Didn't fancy a nice panic-inducing run on the ice, so before lunch I gave it a go. I halved the squat number as my legs were pretty knackered from the day before, and went with three rounds instead of four. One minute rest between each, and I managed it without too much hassle! I was expecting the squatting to be the most difficult aspect of this, but surprisingly, the rows f**ked me more than anything else.  Trying to keep the chest up/back straight and the glutes/knees locked for 25 reps, fuuuark me. I don't think I've ever wanted an exercise to be over that fast :lol: The very last set of presses were straight but not.. fun.

I'm definitely going to be using this until the gyms open again, not sure whether to add the fourth round or up the reps on squat first though. Think if I did both my form would go to s**t and switch this from a useful tool to a potentially dangerous one. Need to work up to it.  A very belated thank you to @Lancashiregent for bringing it to my attention and of course @Fadi for making the thing in the first place! 

13 hours ago, Chicken_Boy said:

how convenient that i just happen to have 1 x 30kg barbell

will give this a go. looks brutal

I'm having another crack later, both dreading and looking forward to it!

Gentlemen, all I ask is that you work up to, whatever I've set as the maximum required effort you need in order to complete this routine. Psychology in sport plays a huge part, as the ultimate determining factor, that governs whether we continue forward, or come to a sudden and screeching halt. So (just like when we were kids craving that "stamp" or "tick"), as adults lifting weights, we also need to give ourselves an early "success" mark, by achieving/completing the whole routine with some reserves left in the tank.

There's always tomorrow, by that I mean, progressive overload (in all its facets), is best brought upon slowly and steadily. So start slow and low (give yourself that 'tick), then increase the "heat" at a pace that you know works best for you.

Thank you for reading.    

On 08/01/2021 at 10:27 AM, Fadi said:

Gentlemen, all I ask is that you work up to, whatever I've set as the maximum required effort you need in order to complete this routine. Psychology in sport plays a huge part, as the ultimate determining factor, that governs whether we continue forward, or come to a sudden and screeching halt. So (just like when we were kids craving that "stamp" or "tick"), as adults lifting weights, we also need to give ourselves an early "success" mark, by achieving/completing the whole routine with some reserves left in the tank.

There's always tomorrow, by that I mean, progressive overload (in all its facets), is best brought upon slowly and steadily. So start slow and low (give yourself that 'tick), then increase the "heat" at a pace that you know works best for you.

Thank you for reading.    

Good to see you still posting mate, thanks 

I have a barbell I made from used drive gears from work that weighs around 40kg that I’ve been using for something similar.

6 OHP, 7 front squats, 8 overhand rows, 9 RDL, 10 back squats.

As many sets as possible in 20 minutes. I’m currently on 3 and I’m absolutely gassed. 

Really not sure where I’m gonna get the improvements from to hit 4 or 5 sets because my rest between each exercise is very minimal and I’d say the rest between each set is between a minute and 2 minutes.

14 hours ago, Donny dog said:

I have a barbell I made from used drive gears from work that weighs around 40kg that I’ve been using for something similar.

6 OHP, 7 front squats, 8 overhand rows, 9 RDL, 10 back squats.

As many sets as possible in 20 minutes. I’m currently on 3 and I’m absolutely gassed. 

Really not sure where I’m gonna get the improvements from to hit 4 or 5 sets because my rest between each exercise is very minimal and I’d say the rest between each set is between a minute and 2 minutes.

Hey I like the look of that, might try it tomorrow, will do Saturday if not! 

5 hours ago, Ares said:

Hey I like the look of that, might try it tomorrow, will do Saturday if not! 

Best of luck my iron brother.

Im only trying it once a week just now but may increase it to twice when I can start recovering from the DOMS quicker.

20 hours ago, Donny dog said:

Best of luck my iron brother.

Im only trying it once a week just now but may increase it to twice when I can start recovering from the DOMS quicker.

Managed 5 sets in 20.49 with 40kg, f**k about! Really enjoyed this, got my heart rate up a lot more than Fadi's routine - but I'm guessing that's because I'm not doing it as prescribed yet. 

On round 4 and 5 I had to take a 30 sec or so break for my grip after the rows, other than that.. yeah really enjoyed it in an S&M kind of way! I was fu**ing gassed by round 3!

Going to add this to the toolbox for sure, thanks pal

1 hour ago, Ares said:

Managed 5 sets in 20.49 with 40kg, f**k about! Really enjoyed this, got my heart rate up a lot more than Fadi's routine - but I'm guessing that's because I'm not doing it as prescribed yet. 

On round 4 and 5 I had to take a 30 sec or so break for my grip after the rows, other than that.. yeah really enjoyed it in an S&M kind of way! I was fu**ing gassed by round 3!

Going to add this to the toolbox for sure, thanks pal

That’s an absolute warriors performance pal!

My next attempt at is tomorrow so hopefully I manage to get a 4th round in this time. I can’t be posting up a routine then having some punk on the internet coming along and showing me how it’s done:thumb

What body weight are you if you don’t mind me asking mate?

On 14/01/2021 at 2:53 PM, Donny dog said:

That’s an absolute warriors performance pal!

My next attempt at is tomorrow so hopefully I manage to get a 4th round in this time. I can’t be posting up a routine then having some punk on the internet coming along and showing me how it’s done:thumb

What body weight are you if you don’t mind me asking mate?

I was 98.5 yesterday morning, my goal is to get down to 80kg this year.. hopefully during the first half. 

Did you manage it yesterday mate? How'd you fare? 

2 hours ago, Ares said:

I was 98.5 yesterday morning, my goal is to get down to 80kg this year.. hopefully during the first half. 

Did you manage it yesterday mate? How'd you fare? 

A tad heavier than myself then pal but nothing to make such a notable difference in output. I’m hoping to be around 80kg myself by summer time and as you say, most of that to come off in the next 10 weeks or so.

I actually did a sandbag workout yesterday. A minute of each of skipping, then sandbag squats, push ups, mountain climbers and bastards. I’ve ordered a 16kg kettlebell that should arrive this week which I’ll incorporate as well and thinking about ordering one of those aqua heavy bags which I can attach to a bracket with a pull up bar added to it.

Best of luck to you chief x

22 hours ago, Donny dog said:

A tad heavier than myself then pal but nothing to make such a notable difference in output. I’m hoping to be around 80kg myself by summer time and as you say, most of that to come off in the next 10 weeks or so.

I actually did a sandbag workout yesterday. A minute of each of skipping, then sandbag squats, push ups, mountain climbers and bastards. I’ve ordered a 16kg kettlebell that should arrive this week which I’ll incorporate as well and thinking about ordering one of those aqua heavy bags which I can attach to a bracket with a pull up bar added to it.

Best of luck to you chief x

Oooooo hehe ty bbe 

Thought about getting a journal going? I might start one, give me a bit of public accountability. And how much did the KB cost you? 

10 hours ago, Ares said:

Oooooo hehe ty bbe 

Thought about getting a journal going? I might start one, give me a bit of public accountability. And how much did the KB cost you? 

Not really mate no. I’ve got 50 quid on with my cousin that I can run a 10k in under 45 minutes, be around 12 stone lean and have a 100kg bench by June so I’ve got financial incentive to get my arse in gear.

44 quid for kettlebell and £17 for courier pal so not exactly cheap. But it’s gonna be getting used 2 or 3 times a week for about 3 months I think. Once I’ve got my punch bag hung up as well I’ve got more than enough gear to be able to have a very decent workout at home when the gyms open again but I’m short on time to go there.

You got any goals for this year big lad?