Sign in to follow this  
Walton92

Loss of strength due to Hypertrophy training?

So a month or so before the last lockdown I switched from training in the 3x10 range to 5x5. This is something I had never done before and just thought I'd give it a blast to mix things up a bit. Any how 4 weeks into training 5x5 I was really impressed with the amount of strength and muscle Id managed to gain so kept it going for another month or so untill my progression started to stall abit.

Eventually about 2 months into training 5x5 my progression started to slow right down so I thought this would be an ideal time to switch things up again and go back to hypertrophy training at 3x10 with my new strength gains. The first thing I noticed when I went back to training in that manner is that I was way stronger than I had been previously to doing any 5x5 training.

Fast forward a month back into hypertrophy training and once again we're in lockdown and the gyms are shut again, that being said I have a bench/squat rack at home so I thought f**k it, ill go back to doing strong lifts again since I don't need as much equipment for that type of training so thats exactly what I did. To my disappointment the numbers I was pulling at the end of my last 5x5 program just don't seem possible atm and its left me scratching my head as I know full well that I haven't got any weaker within the 3x10 rep range and if anything im actually bigger than I was at the end of my 5x5 program. 

I thought that as long as I trained hard and stimulated the muscle enough that I would keep my strength gains no matter what rep range I trained in but apparently not. Im just wondering if anyone can either explain the reason behind this or share their experiences and thoughts on situations that people may have had similar to this one. 

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and I look forward to hearing your replys.

3 minutes ago, Mingster said:

How often do you deload?

I don't really mate, never have done. I just train 6 days a week taking Sunday's off.

I realise that may seem a little counter productive but to my defense I do have a very high calorific diet at between 4000 - 5000 calories a day and I always make sure im getting enough sleep.

On 01/01/2021 at 6:24 PM, Walton92 said:

I don't really mate, never have done. I just train 6 days a week taking Sunday's off.

I realise that may seem a little counter productive but to my defense I do have a very high calorific diet at between 4000 - 5000 calories a day and I always make sure im getting enough sleep.

That wont last,

You either need to deload, or switch the main movements. 

No one can train with any amount of intensity week in week out and expect to make consistent progress. 

Personally i follow a conjugate style of training however still deload every 4th week, not for cns issues but more for joint recovery. 

Programmes such as 531 etc,, have a deload week built in, maybe have a look at that?

On 1/2/2021 at 5:04 AM, Walton92 said:

Loss of strength due to Hypertrophy training?

No. Loss of strength due to not focusing on strength dominant training.

As brother @Mingster has asked you/suggested, deloading is one of the most critical element of strength specific training. This factor is so critical, that without giving it its due time and respect, none of us would witness the truly high achievements in human performances that we do when World championships and/or the Olympics are staged.

Please take a look at the image I've uploaded for you below, and give it some thoughts. I shall leave it here for now.

Periodisation.jpg