Sign in to follow this  
Chicken_Boy

Training partner becoming a wuss

Bit of a rant here...

Ever had a frustrating training partner?

Normally, I train alone. But this guy I met at the gym has a bunch of barbells, a bench and dumbells in his house. So throughout lockdown I've been training there.

This guy is obsessed with how he looks (although his physique is below average to be honest), and something that is really starting to annoy me is that he never trains to failure. In fact, he doesn't train with any intensity at all. When his muscles start to  burn even a tiny bit, he pretends to be tired and puts the weight down. Then wonders why he is barely making any progress. Have told him many times about this, but figured he is just stubborn as f**k and content doing his own thing.

While it's really kind of him to let me use his equipment, I am glad we are comng to the end of the 4 weeks lockdown now because I'm tired of seeing him pretend to max out with 10 kg dubmell curls. For f**k sake.

Not being ungrateful, just realising that most people don't have a clue what HARD TRAINING actually means...

RANT OVER.

Just use hes gym and get back to what you were doing mate . He obviously isn’t cut out for it . Probably wants company during lock dow . Has he said what he wants to look like ect ?

and yes you are right some people don’t know what hard training is . I am a all or nothing kind of guy my self . I don’t see the point in doing it if not going to give it your all 

Iv seen a few like that. What gets on my nerves is people who take a s**t load of roids looking huge but have no concept on how hard it is to build muscle and think your deadlifting to loud or trying to hard with the weights while they don’t even look like there working out but they think your doing it wrong 

Never get this pointless going if you don't train hard, also if you can talk whilst you're training you ain't training hard enough and you see a lot of them at the gym, having banter mid set. Even some lads who just clearly have good genetics imagine how good they'd look if they did actually push themselves. 

Now of course we all have those sessions where you can't really be arsed and do a sort of 'maintenance workout' but a lot of people never push above 40% just plod along, I mean fair enough but don't cry when u ain't making progress. Simples. 

why do you care what he's doing? he's letting you use his equipment and you're just having a go at him for leaving a few extra reps in the tank... bit strange mate

1 hour ago, Jackoffblades said:

Iv seen a few like that. What gets on my nerves is people who take a s**t load of roids looking huge but have no concept on how hard it is to build muscle and think your deadlifting to loud or trying to hard with the weights while they don’t even look like there working out but they think your doing it wrong 

Seen a few like that. Those people, gear or not, who give their workouts 60%, and then give you funny looks for giving it 100%. I sometimes feel like saying "it's called proper training mate, you should try it sometime"  :)

33 minutes ago, Toranator said:

Never get this pointless going if you don't train hard, also if you can talk whilst you're training you ain't training hard enough and you see a lot of them at the gym, having banter mid set. Even some lads who just clearly have good genetics imagine how good they'd look if they did actually push themselves. 

Now of course we all have those sessions where you can't really be arsed and do a sort of 'maintenance workout' but a lot of people never push above 40% just plod along, I mean fair enough but don't cry when u ain't making progress. Simples. 

EXACTLY. Agree 100%.

Too many people half-arsing it.

Some people just haven't got it in them to push themselves physically. I've seen it with plenty other sports, not just lifting.

All you can do is try and encourage them to try a bit harder but not worth getting wound up about. If you're self reliant, it shouldn't really affect the intensity of your own training.

16 hours ago, Chicken_Boy said:

Bit of a rant here...

Ever had a frustrating training partner?

Normally, I train alone. But this guy I met at the gym has a bunch of barbells, a bench and dumbells in his house. So throughout lockdown I've been training there.

This guy is obsessed with how he looks (although his physique is below average to be honest), and something that is really starting to annoy me is that he never trains to failure. In fact, he doesn't train with any intensity at all. When his muscles start to  burn even a tiny bit, he pretends to be tired and puts the weight down. Then wonders why he is barely making any progress. Have told him many times about this, but figured he is just stubborn as f**k and content doing his own thing.

While it's really kind of him to let me use his equipment, I am glad we are comng to the end of the 4 weeks lockdown now because I'm tired of seeing him pretend to max out with 10 kg dubmell curls. For f**k sake.

Not being ungrateful, just realising that most people don't have a clue what HARD TRAINING actually means...

RANT OVER.

Ok so now I’ve read the post. I don’t train to failure. Idiots think ooo i need to do X reps to feel the burn and go to failure. No I train to progressive overload. So I’ll go from 4x6, 3x8, 3x10, then up weight and start again. So I add reps then weight. I don’t have any need to go to failure to progress. Just unnecessary care to explain as why you do what systems are you training and how you find it beneficial 

16 hours ago, Toranator said:

Corr - spoken like a true unit.  Haha.

Joking aside, the real lifters do not have time to bitch and moan about what others are doing in the gym.  Real lifters have a solid routine in place when it comes to diet and a training plan.  They are focused.

Those people spend so much time preping meals in the kitchen and working their arses off in the gym to look like units.

The melted, candle looking physique people are the ones who complain a lot about what others are doing in the gym.

Just get on with it and f**k off what others are doing.  It's a marathon anyway not a sprint.  It takes years of a lot hard work and dediction to get looking good.  I've been there.

29 minutes ago, sean m said:

Do you realise that now you've trained together using his home gym he's expecting to train together when the gym opens 

Lol he’s going to feel used if he went back gym and realises he was just using him for his gym. He will be ringing him up all the time train together at his home but his calls will get ignored

9 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

Lol he’s going to feel used if he went back gym and realises he was just using him for his gym. He will be ringing him up all the time train together at his home but his calls will get ignored

Until mid January when gyms close again