Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KETONES

Mountain bike trail riding

Recommended Posts

I have a few areas I can ride the trails around where I live but bikes have come on in technology since I last rode one?

I’m looking at Santa Cruz but they are pricey!

Any ideas what I need?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st decision is hard tail or full suspension then amount of suspension travel. 

I really like the adjustable suspension on my Scott. 

It can be set full travel soft / full travel stiff   half travel stiff.  Rear suspension locked front stiff.  All on a handle bar lever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your first bike I would opt for a hardtail. Cheaper, less to go wrong, easier to peddle and will improve you as a rider. Personally I would opt for a 29 inch wheel bike if your not into jumps. Covers ground faster and more efficiently. 
 

here is my cube 27.5 inch wheel

DF22A9B3-9545-4308-95AC-D78AD8508639.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, D 4 Damage said:

My flex,  hit bits of jumps on it, downhill trails and a 20 mile ride at least once a week, and its do plenty more than I ask. Two lads I ride with have Santa Cruz's you certainly wouldn't go wrong with one

Screenshot_20200928-193441_Gallery.jpg

The angle of that front wheel looks like it's ready to snap after a jump 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mrwright said:

The angle of that front wheel looks like it's ready to snap after a jump 

Head angle and the front forks are how the people at orange intended them, not been messed with by me, helps stop you going over the bars going down steep stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, D 4 Damage said:

My flex,  hit bits of jumps on it, downhill trails and a 20 mile ride at least once a week, and its do plenty more than I ask. Two lads I ride with have Santa Cruz's you certainly wouldn't go wrong with one

Screenshot_20200928-193441_Gallery.jpg

That’s a sexy bitch!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tricky said:

For your first bike I would opt for a hardtail. Cheaper, less to go wrong, easier to peddle and will improve you as a rider. Personally I would opt for a 29 inch wheel bike if your not into jumps. Covers ground faster and more efficiently. 
 

here is my cube 27.5 inch wheel

DF22A9B3-9545-4308-95AC-D78AD8508639.jpeg

I’m going for full suspension dude!

I’ll be jumping and downhill on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KETONES said:

I’m going for full suspension dude!

I’ll be jumping and downhill on it.

Fair enough. Have you much experience!? What size and weight are you out of interest? It’s great fun I love it. Mainly do the blue and red trials. Northern Ireland has some of the best trials about so I’m fortune that way and a shuttle service to the top then just bomb down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tricky said:

Fair enough. Have you much experience!? What size and weight are you out of interest? It’s great fun I love it. Mainly do the blue and red trials. Northern Ireland has some of the best trials about so I’m fortune that way and a shuttle service to the top then just bomb down. 

I haven’t really done much trail riding on a mountain bike but been riding super bikes and motocross for 25 years +

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, todai said:

orange P1 or I went for the Whytee 909. 
I think 2k is a good price for a hard tail. I would even buy second hand a lot of people buy them and don't use.  

 

I’ll buy used mate new is a rip-off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fitness for trial riding is something else. I run 30 mile a week and swim now and again would consider myself quite fit as I often hike with weight on my back too but im Hanging out when on the trials. 
 

don’t buy new. Rip offs buy second hand in the winter get the best deals. I wouldn’t get a full but that’s up to you  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KETONES said:

No but my missus work does...might be able to get a discount?

You get it taken out of your salary before tax. So you will save on income tax and national insurance on the price of the bike. 

For a basic tax payer that's a 32% saving. 

When I did it I paid monthly over 12 months interest free. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

You get it taken out of your salary before tax. So you will save on income tax and national insurance on the price of the bike. 

For a basic tax payer that's a 32% saving. 

When I did it I paid monthly over 12 months interest free. 

 

What bike did you go for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tricky said:

What bike did you go for 

I got an electric hybrid to go to work on once or twice a week. 

Tempted to get a gravel bike next not electric just normal bike. 

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-subway-mens-electric-hybrid-bike---16in-18in-20in-frames-224422.html

Cost 1000 but I paid 680 with tax saving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×