Sign in to follow this  
Fina

Any helicopter pilots?

Typical totally stupid and random question for UKM :D

I'm considering getting the license since, but from what I've read you can't really get any gigs until you get a serious number of hours under your belt.  I wouldn't be looking to make a career from it, but just to hire one out and do some s**t from time to time would be fun. 

I guess I expected you got the license and that was it, but it seems not the case.  

Before I rabbit on any further, any pilots here?  (ideally you are really a pilot, and not a UKM pilot, however in the interest of the thread not instantly dying, everyone is applicable without any form of authentication)

49 minutes ago, EpicSquats said:

Isn't it super expensive to learn to fly a helicopter?

It's about £14k to get the license, which may or may not allow you to then hire a chopper for private use, but certainly will not allow you to work, as that requires IIRC 2-300 hours flight time.  Therefore to make a career of it yes, its expensive, but if I could do the odd thing here and there and fly my daughter on occasions I just see it as an expensive hobby.

48 minutes ago, KETONES said:

What do you need to know mate I got mine in the RAF!

I want to know once I've got the license, what can I actually do basically.   I guess I can rent, not sure if I can take passengers, not sure if I would be restricted by type, duration, something else, and would i need to renew occasionally?

Basically I got some spare cash and I was thinking to do it just to make life more fun, but maybe I'd be totally wasting my money if I'm not going down career route

19 minutes ago, Fina said:

I want to know once I've got the license, what can I actually do basically.   I guess I can rent, not sure if I can take passengers, not sure if I would be restricted by type, duration, something else, and would i need to renew occasionally?

Basically I got some spare cash and I was thinking to do it just to make life more fun, but maybe I'd be totally wasting my money if I'm not going down career route

Move to Canada and spray crops for a living 

From the tiny amount of knowledge I have about light aircraft pilot licence. You need to do X amount of hours per year to keep it. 

Have you enquired about lessons already, Bud.?

1 hour ago, Fina said:

It’ll cost you a fortune as you have to build up your flying time

17 minutes ago, KETONES said:

It’ll cost you a fortune as you have to build up your flying time

And keep enough hours each year. Probably be cheaper to fly to a poor country with a fist full of dollars and do the hours there. 

Mates got his pilots license. Although unfortunately for the op, we never listen to him when he's banging on about flying. 

The bits I do remember it took him quite awhile and cost a fair amount. But he does it just for fun, looked into flying commercially but looks like you have to lay even more money out up front and there's a lot of competition for jobs. He was in his 30s, so didn't think it was worth trying to compete against the younger chaps.

Part owns a plane with a few others but still manages to go up most weekends when the weather ok but still costs quite a bit per hour. 

I'd ask him next time I see him but that'll probably be quite some time.

Edit - the pay is actually pretty poor as well, unless you fly long haul for ba, assume helicopters will be a similar bracket.

12 minutes ago, Denied said:

Mates got his pilots license. Although unfortunately for the op, we never listen to him when he's banging on about flying. 

The bits I do remember it took him quite awhile and cost a fair amount. But he does it just for fun, looked into flying commercially but looks like you have to lay even more money out up front and there's a lot of competition for jobs. He was in his 30s, so didn't think it was worth trying to compete against the younger chaps.

Part owns a plane with a few others but still manages to go up most weekends when the weather ok but still costs quite a bit per hour. 

I'd ask him next time I see him but that'll probably be quite some time.

Edit - the pay is actually pretty poor as well, unless you fly long haul for ba, assume helicopters will be a similar bracket.

I did some lessons in a small plane when in my mid twenties and from what I heard it's incredibly hard to get a job out of it. 

To do it just as a hobby unless you are minted or absolutely love flying I don't think it's worth the money it costs. 

Fair play fellas thanks, it would just be for fun, I'm 36 so as a career wouldn't be financially viable to switch to this now.

I didn't realise you had to have min hours to do much, I thought once I had the license I could just hire one out on the weekends etc.

Another dream shot down thanks boys :D

Just to reply to all....

4 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

Why the need for the licence rather than just booking a lesson every now and then. 

I'd be getting it to take up friends and family, rather than for myself.

4 hours ago, Spieren said:

From the tiny amount of knowledge I have about light aircraft pilot licence. You need to do X amount of hours per year to keep it. 

Have you enquired about lessons already, Bud.?

No, I just researched where I could do it and the basic license cost.  I wasn't sure if that £14k would give me a license for life, or if I needed exactly what you said, hours to maintain.

29 minutes ago, Fina said:

Just to reply to all....

No, I just researched where I could do it and the basic license cost.  I wasn't sure if that £14k would give me a license for life, or if I needed exactly what you said, hours to maintain.

There was a guy on here @PanamaPower I think it is, who flew planes or suchlike. 
I think for this country, it’s a game for the really enthusiastic who wants to do it regardless of cost or those with rich parents to subsidise them getting there/staying there. A one off cost would make it more attractive as you say. 

1 hour ago, Fina said:

Fair play fellas thanks, it would just be for fun, I'm 36 so as a career wouldn't be financially viable to switch to this now.

I didn't realise you had to have min hours to do much, I thought once I had the license I could just hire one out on the weekends etc.

You can get a boat  without a licence and have great fun just have to pay marina fees each year 

As above. I, like all ukm millionaires am licensed to fly many different types of aircraft. I’m taking my Apache out for a spin tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Fina said:

Just to reply to all....

Have you thought of a nice sail boat? Where do you live 

https://www.boatsforsale.co.uk/boats/sailing-boats/yachts/dehler28s-12370.html

2 hours ago, Fina said:

Well it makes sense really, you don't just want anybody flying above your head, you want them to be competent. 

Maybe could look into powered paragliding.