Sign in to follow this  
Tricky

Anyone like the air and or the sea?

In 2019 I gained my AFF (sky diving) licence which was a fantastic experience and means I can rock up to a DZ over the world and hire equipment and pay to jump for the day. I paid just over £1000 when converted to GBP for the course then my consolidation jumps were on top of that.

2021 I plan to get my PADI advanced free diver cert. Having done some free driving this summer and my introduction into breathing techniques and equalisation I’ve set a goal now of learning the basics and obtaining my PADI free diving certificate here on the north coast of Northern Ireland then complete the advanced in Bail over 3 days in September. 

Just curious who else is into skydiving, Scuba or free driving and where do you do it if so. 

I love the sea. Been on a few yacht hols over the years. I've been researching for about the last 9 months into sailing. I hope to have a small yacht next year. 

Looking at booking a competent crew or dayskipper course. I have just joined the WOA.

Been a qualified diver for about 25 years.

Learnt in England  dived all over the world. Now definitely a warm water diver.  

Did Aff corse 5 years ago.  Got fed up with turning up at DZ and weather meaning spent too many days waiting for wind to drop / clouds to clear. So gave up after corse.  

Sky diving was more a prove to myself I could as always had crazy fear of highs. So I learnt to rockclimb  - still scares me a lot outdoors  but keep climbing to practice controlling my fear.  Climb indoor for fun and keep my skills sharp.

19 minutes ago, sean m said:

Did Aff corse 5 years ago.  Got fed up with turning up at DZ and weather meaning spent too many days waiting for wind to drop / clouds to clear. So gave up after corse.  

Sky diving was more a prove to myself I could as always had crazy fear of highs. So I learnt to rockclimb  - still scares me a lot outdoors  but keep climbing to practice controlling my fear.  Climb indoor for fun and keep my skills sharp.

Not sure where your based Sean but you been to Sunderland climbing wall? 

I go climbing local to me and went there for a day with my brother on the ropes and bits of bouldering,some really good climbing pal check it out if your near that way.

17 minutes ago, Restless83 said:

I go climbing local to me and went there for a day with my brother on the ropes and bits of bouldering,some really good climbing pal check it out if your near that way.

I'm down in swindon.  The indoor center here (   rockstar climbing )    is quite good but not very high. 

The best indoor I've climbed is "awesome walls" in Liverpool. 

Do you climb outside as well?  

I’m a scuba diver. BSAC Advanced & OWI. I’ve dived in warmer climates (aka blue water) but much prefer UK diving, so much more apprehension and adrenaline involved, you never know how it’s going to be. 

Had a year out last year, learnt to sail. Also have power boat ticket. Safe to say I love the coast and the sea :thumbup1:

26 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I’m a scuba diver. BSAC Advanced & OWI. I’ve dived in warmer climates (aka blue water) but much prefer UK diving, so much more apprehension and adrenaline involved, you never know how it’s going to be. 

Had a year out last year, learnt to sail. Also have power boat ticket. Safe to say I love the coast and the sea :thumbup1:

did you do any courses or learny yourself to sail mate? I know sounds like a daft question. But some people do go balls out, buy a boat having never even putting a sail up and go for it.

The price of these marinas are absolutely extortionate though i've found.

1 minute ago, andysutils said:

did you do any courses or learny yourself to sail mate? I know sounds like a daft question. But some people do go balls out, buy a boat having never even putting a sail up and go for it.

I did Levels 1 & 2 dingy sailing, then spent quite a few hours practicing what I’d learnt, Mate. 

It’s crazy that anyone can buy a huge boat, power or sail, and need zero quals to go out to sea in it. It’s just mental..

2 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I did Levels 1 & 2 dingy sailing, then spent quite a few hours practicing what I’d learnt, Mate. 

It’s crazy that anyone can buy a huge boat, power or sail, and need zero quals to go out to sea in it. It’s just mental..

I agree and think the same. Especially with the sea being the most dangerous place you could ever put a boat on to yourself and everyone else!

I will be definetly getting a compitent crew or dayskipper cert first before buying anything. I know the courses are costly but it's worth getting the experience for my safety and everyone elses.

1 hour ago, Restless83 said:

I'm just in newcastle, thanks. My son would like this. 

6 hours ago, andysutils said:

I love the sea. Been on a few yacht hols over the years. I've been researching for about the last 9 months into sailing. I hope to have a small yacht next year. 

Looking at booking a competent crew or dayskipper course. I have just joined the WOA.

Whilst in the army quite a few went and done their skippers course and I know they enjoyed it. Would be great just boats are money pits. I don’t have the funds for it 

2 hours ago, sean m said:

Did you complete your consolidation jumps or just sack it off after you got your level 8 AFF? 

I like the sound of diving. We are going to bail for 3 weeks maybe 4 in sept but I understand it’s expensive and free diving is more accessible for us. There is a free diving school just down the road from me in portrush Northern Ireland so plan to get out over the summer and in the mean time practice the drills for breathing ect in the pool and then gain the PADI qualifications in Bali as it’s much cheaper and the water will be great 

2 hours ago, sean m said:

I'm down in swindon.  The indoor center here (   rockstar climbing )    is quite good but not very high. 

The best indoor I've climbed is "awesome walls" in Liverpool. 

Do you climb outside as well?  

I dont sean due to lack of ropes and crash mats,I should really invest a bit more into it as there's some fantastic places all over north Yorkshire.

Getting better and stronger at the indoor stuff so its all good hours spent practicing,don't want to risk a broken limb just with shoes and a chalk bag outdoors.

1 hour ago, Philfg said:

I'm just in newcastle, thanks. My son would like this. 

If you can belay for him Phil there's some great high walls,a couple of them have auto belays set at the top of the climb but I don't trust them rather have someone who I trust on the floor.

Spent too much time at sea in the navy :lol: 1850lsa in 10 years (basically at sea 6 months of every year) these days I just enjoy going down the beach for a walk along the coast lol. 

2 hours ago, andysutils said:

I agree and think the same. Especially with the sea being the most dangerous place you could ever put a boat on to yourself and everyone else!

I will be definetly getting a compitent crew or dayskipper cert first before buying anything. I know the courses are costly but it's worth getting the experience for my safety and everyone elses.

As far as I know, the only cert you MUST have is a VHF Radio certificate, and you don’t need that if you don’t use your radio :lol:

I don’t have Day skipper, but do have charts and marker buoy experience/qualification  I may well take the Powerboat Dayskipper course at some point.  I’m talking Rhibs and dinghies though, not yachts B)

Good luck mate, sound like you have quite an adventure on the way :thumbup1:

7 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I don’t have Day skipper, but do have charts and marker buoy experience/qualification

Neither do I. Do you think living in Leicestershire might be something to do with why a rarely see the sea?

5 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Neither do I. Do you think living in Leicestershire might be something to do with why a rarely see the sea?

Do you know Stoney Cove in Stoney Stanton, Mate.?  It’s an inland divers haven :thumbup1:

7 minutes ago, Spieren said:

Do you know Stoney Cove in Stoney Stanton, Mate.?  It’s an inland divers haven :thumbup1:

Just up the road from where I live. They drag someone out dead pretty regularly. I’ve never had the urge to go in the place

Edit. Decent pub for a drink next to the water

2 hours ago, Tricky said:

Did you complete your consolidation jumps or just sack it off after you got your level 8 AFF? 

I like the sound of diving. We are going to bail for 3 weeks maybe 4 in sept but I understand it’s expensive and free diving is more accessible for us. There is a free diving school just down the road from me in portrush Northern Ireland so plan to get out over the summer and in the mean time practice the drills for breathing ect in the pool and then gain the PADI qualifications in Bali as it’s much cheaper and the water will be great 

Had to rejump 2 of the basic corse jumps 

1 for a tangle I should of cut away but flew in on 2/3rd inflated canopy  (at only 70kg it was more than enough lift but the instructor disagreed. 

And a late diploymant  I was focused on stopping a flat slow spin and was 100 odd feet late in pulling. 

Then got to consolidation jumps did 2 spent 6 days sat at the dz looking at the sky being told high altitude wind was too strong.

Bali is a nice place to dive and cheep. Training there will probably be half price. 

Manta point boat dive from Sanur is a great dive shallow and the tamest manters I've ever seen.  

Also mtb / cycling the paddy fields is good.  Surfing on the wavy side of the island is great.