UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Saturated fat, good or bad?

380 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Jackoffblades 
#1 ·
I am doing a bulk at the moment and I have the choice, eat lots of food in terms of volume and restrict dairy in order to hit the calories whilst keeping in the "recommended range" of 30g of saturated fat. Or reduce carbs and eat more enjoyable food like cheese but doing this puts my saturated fat in the 70-80 grams per day. I would normally not be worried but my cholesterol is not so good as is and I am on 250mg test and have a family history of high cholesterol so I am more concerned, however I have seen online that the evidence for saturated fat been bad is very iffy. I might just eat high saturated fats and counteract the potential cardio vascular damage with cardio, limiting trans fat, statins, ARBs and krill oil.

What are your guys thoughts, at the end of the day quite a few people think diet only makes a 10% difference on cholesterol panel so if this is true then is it worth the suffering?

#2 ·
Saturated fat is not bad. It is required as part of a healthy diet. Too much saturated fat *might* impact on cholesterol levels. Originally it was thought that high ldl was caused by too much saturated fat in the diet but this has been largely debunked. If you have a family history of high cholesterol then this is because your liver is producing too much ldl. What you eat will make little difference. If your total cholesterol is 5 or over you probably need statins to reduce it. Get it tested. If you are above 5 (my last test was 7.9) then statins are probably going to be your only option. If you have high ldl cholesterol this doesn't automatically mean that your arteries are going to get blocked. Other individual factors come into play and experts don't yet understand why some folk with high chol get heart disease and others don't. Blood pressure is a known major factor, however. With cholesterol one thing we do know is that if your dad had high cholesterol and a heart attack, you are probably destined for the same fate if you inherited his "cholesterol genetics".

#3 ·
He was 50 years old with a poor diet and his cholesterol whilst being abnormal was not overly high (less than 6) and he was able to normalise it with statins so I am hoping I dont have really bad gene's. Ill increase saturated fat intake and keep an eye on cholesterol and take statins if doctor thinks I need them. Thank you for your advice. Also If my HDL is low is that genetic or enviromental?

#17 ·
To much omegas actually cause inflammation. When you mix saturated fats with high sugar for example all this processed food then it is worse as it oxidizes or something in your blood and its the sugar and insulin that then makes it stickto arteries.

Your body uses it for cholesterol which then makes your hormones

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Also cholesterol itself has no direct impact on your health.. google it. It is high in heart failure etc because of all the bad food they each which contains all the fat and the sugar. It is insulin then causes fats to be bad for you.

With steroids cholesterol is the least of your concern what you need to do is control blood pressure and reduce strain on your heart it is well known LVH is what causes heart attacks in steroid use. This is not caused by cholesterol but high blood pressure which over time makes your heart hypertrophy as it is needing to pump harder to push a higher pressure of blood around your body.. hence the name left ventricular HYPERTROPHY

If i was you guys on a big cycle i would go on an online pharmacy and look at blood pressure lowering drugs there are beta blockers ace inhibitors etc. But do not take to much.

All these supplements from the shops that say they lower blood pressure DO NOT DO ANYTHING. You need an actual drug specifically designed for the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.