Sign in to follow this  
interloper393

Should I be eating burnt cals?

Hey, I log everything I eat, record workout and steps daily, so say my maintenance cals are 2500, I add 500 cals to bulk.. I burn 500 calories from my workout, should I be eating another 500 calories on trading days?

Cheers

19 hours ago, interloper393 said:

Hey, I log everything I eat, record workout and steps daily, so say my maintenance cals are 2500, I add 500 cals to bulk.. I burn 500 calories from my workout, should I be eating another 500 calories on trading days?

I’ve worked in coaching for 20 years 500 cal is a hell of a lot to burn in a workout no matter what the iPhone says. Need more info to help height/weight pics etc.

I use my galaxy watch buddy, I record from the moment I start lifting, usually around 350ish cals burnt and finish with a slow incline walk, usually logs around the 500 calories mark..

I was more interested in weither I should be consuming any burnt calories on workout days ?

Cheers

On 25/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, Brodhurst said:

I’ve worked in coaching for 20 years 500 cal is a hell of a lot to burn in a workout no matter what the iPhone says. Need more info to help height/weight pics etc.

What are you coaching, Pilates?! 500kcal is very, very achievable. I burn 3-4 times that.

OP - short answer, no. Don’t over complicate it, you’re eating 3000kcal. If you aren’t gaining weight, increase by 200-300kcal, mainly from carbs. 

12 minutes ago, Bensif said:

What are you coaching, Pilates?! 500kcal is very, very achievable. I burn 3-4 times that.

OP - short answer, no. Don’t over complicate it, you’re eating 3000kcal. If you aren’t gaining weight, increase by 200-300kcal, mainly from carbs. 

How do you know how much you’re burning? Do you train in a lab?

16 minutes ago, Brodhurst said:

How do you know how much you’re burning? Do you train in a lab?

Personally, I use a polar h10 chest strap. In conjunction with either an a370 or unite it gives an estimate based on a variety of factors.

If I correlate that with my calorie intake, general activity levels, BMR etc, it’s actually rather accurate. From experience I require around 4200-4400kcal to maintain my weight. The unite gives a daily expenditure estimate of pretty much 4200-4400kcal.

Ive been using polar products for around 3 years now and over the course of those 3 years, based on the data I’ve accumulated, I am of the opinion that they are accurate within ~5%.

That aside, anyone training intensely, and I mean real training here, will burn 400-700kcal per hour depending on their level of development.

Hey Interloper! I'd personally try your first approach of 500 kcal for 2-3 weeks and then see the results. If you plateau add another 500kcal.

Counting calories in a watch/app is a waste of time in my opinion, is really not that accurate...

But nutrition is not the only factor envolved on building muscle, what kind of workouts are you currently doing if I may ask?