Sign in to follow this  
Toranator

Any cyclists?

Looking at buying a road bike shortly... 2nd hand, haven't rode a bike in about 14 years, any tips for buying 2nd hand? Any must haves for around £300, don't wanna get ripped off and overpay etc. Also gonna buy a turbo trainer, any recommendations with those? 

Oh and those pedals that don't have pedals but you need the shoes... They take getting used to? Difficult? Don't wanna fall over at lights like a pratt. 

Cheers lads/ladettes. 

8 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Very few cycle, most stay on but say they’re off or on low doses. :cool2:

What just slowly cycle along at like 3mph indefinitely.... Bet their ass gets sore!! :cool2:(see what I did there? Implying they're injecting in their ass but also cycling like cycling cycling...ah forget it) 

Are you set on a road bike?  

A mtb opens so much more choice  of were to go and way more fun. 

Road bikes cover more miles easier but if your aiming for cardio and leg training off road will give a better workout. 

56 minutes ago, Toranator said:

Looking at buying a road bike shortly... 2nd hand, haven't rode a bike in about 14 years, any tips for buying 2nd hand? Any must haves for around £300, don't wanna get ripped off and overpay etc. Also gonna buy a turbo trainer, any recommendations with those? 

Oh and those pedals that don't have pedals but you need the shoes... They take getting used to? Difficult? Don't wanna fall over at lights like a pratt. 

Cheers lads/ladettes. 

Now I’m back home from walking......

Maybe like at the Triban (I think it was the 3) from Decathlon, that used to get great reviews and compared with bikes in the £1,000 range. 
Buying second hand is awkward cos for all you know the components could be half bolloxed despite still riding ok. 
Pedals, maybe get these(obviously shop around). Can use cleats or flats. 
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/shimano-spd-m324-pedals

12 minutes ago, sean m said:

Road bikes cover more miles easier but if your aiming for cardio and leg training off road will give a better workout. 

Strangely I find covering distance and changes of scenery more motivating hence I’d go road bike. 
I have a Hybrid and a mountain bike, I only used the mountain bike to take the dog out when I was feeling lazy but she’s older now so doesn’t need to go so far. 

36 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

In all seriousness I used to push bike it to work and back. When I think about cycling after work straight to the gym it just makes exhausted just thinking about it

Was this before the alcoholism took hold:lol:

10 minutes ago, KETONES said:

I hope you have insurance....and please don’t dress like a knobber it’s so irritating the the rest of the world!

I wear Lycra when cycling. :thumb

26 minutes ago, sean m said:

I am yeah mate dont really fancy going off road, I like dirt biking but don't fancy it with a bike. 

15 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Now I’m back home from walking......

Maybe like at the Triban (I think it was the 3) from Decathlon, that used to get great reviews and compared with bikes in the £1,000 range. 
Buying second hand is awkward cos for all you know the components could be half bolloxed despite still riding ok. 
Pedals, maybe get these(obviously shop around). Can use cleats or flats. 
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/shimano-spd-m324-pedals

I did see the tribans at decathlon some of those look alright tbf. 

When I asked a old colleague  a while back who's really into it (got a £6000 bike himself) he was telling me don't get it without this this and this, even second hand they were like £1500 which as someone new to it all its quite a investment. 

Does the groupset make much difference for someone who'd be new to it all? Heard shimano 105 is pretty good, is that beyond budget would you say? 

4 minutes ago, Toranator said:

Does the groupset make much difference for someone who'd be new to it all? Heard shimano 105 is pretty good, is that beyond budget would you say? 

I’m not big into cycling so not really the right person to ask. I just have a Boardman Team Hybrid and an old Marin MTB. 

I’ve done up to 75mile road rides which at 112kg(at the time) isn’t bad going. 

1 hour ago, Toranator said:

I am yeah mate dont really fancy going off road, I like dirt biking but don't fancy it with a bike. 

I did see the tribans at decathlon some of those look alright tbf. 

When I asked a old colleague  a while back who's really into it (got a £6000 bike himself) he was telling me don't get it without this this and this, even second hand they were like £1500 which as someone new to it all its quite a investment. 

What I did was buy a entry level Scott for £350 used it for a few months and decided I really liked it so sold it and bought a Planet X pro carbon evo and a cube CX for winter at £1000 ish each 

what I’m trying to say is just buy a cheap bike then if you like it you would lose too much when selling on and if you don’t you haven’t lost too much either

I cycled around most of the U.K. during lockdown. I enjoy it but now I’m training again I just stick to general commuting. 
300quid will not get much atall when it comes to a road bike. Atleast not anything decent. 

If I was you, I’d keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones you could get yourself a good deal and certainly a better bike than you’d get brand new for that price. 

I don’t know if they’re still about but Triban are actually not bad atal for an entry level road bike, I think you could even pick the Triban 100 up for cheaper than that new tbh, have a look for the higher end models of Triban bikes on market place and could probably get a better one 2nd hand. 

12 hours ago, Simon90 said:

I cycled around most of the U.K. during lockdown. I enjoy it but now I’m training again I just stick to general commuting. 
300quid will not get much atall when it comes to a road bike. Atleast not anything decent. 

If I was you, I’d keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones you could get yourself a good deal and certainly a better bike than you’d get brand new for that price. 

I don’t know if they’re still about but Triban are actually not bad atal for an entry level road bike, I think you could even pick the Triban 100 up for cheaper than that new tbh, have a look for the higher end models of Triban bikes on market place and could probably get a better one 2nd hand. 

What's the difference between a bike for 2/300 compared to a few grand? 

Like noticeable difference I know it'll be lighter and all that jazz but would you notice any

20 minutes ago, mrwright said:

What's the difference between a bike for 2/300 compared to a few grand? 

Like noticeable difference I know it'll be lighter and all that jazz but would you notice any

Just better quality, lighter, stiffer, better components Etc. For someone new to it it’s not really important any road bike would do to make sure you actual like it first. That being said a shirt bike like an Apollo from Halfords would fall to pieces in no time. 
the Btwin tribans are decent for the money