UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Any cyclists?

768 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Tonysco 
#1 ·
Looking at buying a road bike shortly... 2nd hand, haven't rode a bike in about 14 years, any tips for buying 2nd hand? Any must haves for around £300, don't wanna get ripped off and overpay etc. Also gonna buy a turbo trainer, any recommendations with those?

Oh and those pedals that don't have pedals but you need the shoes... They take getting used to? Difficult? Don't wanna fall over at lights like a pratt.

Cheers lads/ladettes.

#8 ·
Are you set on a road bike?

A mtb opens so much more choice of were to go and way more fun.

Road bikes cover more miles easier but if your aiming for cardio and leg training off road will give a better workout.
Strangely I find covering distance and changes of scenery more motivating hence I'd go road bike.
I have a Hybrid and a mountain bike, I only used the mountain bike to take the dog out when I was feeling lazy but she's older now so doesn't need to go so far.

#7 ·
Looking at buying a road bike shortly... 2nd hand, haven't rode a bike in about 14 years, any tips for buying 2nd hand? Any must haves for around £300, don't wanna get ripped off and overpay etc. Also gonna buy a turbo trainer, any recommendations with those?

Oh and those pedals that don't have pedals but you need the shoes... They take getting used to? Difficult? Don't wanna fall over at lights like a pratt.

Cheers lads/ladettes.
Now I'm back home from walking......

Maybe like at the Triban (I think it was the 3) from Decathlon, that used to get great reviews and compared with bikes in the £1,000 range.
Buying second hand is awkward cos for all you know the components could be half bolloxed despite still riding ok.
Pedals, maybe get these(obviously shop around). Can use cleats or flats.
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/shimano-spd-m324-pedals

#15 ·
I cycled around most of the U.K. during lockdown. I enjoy it but now I'm training again I just stick to general commuting.
300quid will not get much atall when it comes to a road bike. Atleast not anything decent.

If I was you, I'd keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones you could get yourself a good deal and certainly a better bike than you'd get brand new for that price.

I don't know if they're still about but Triban are actually not bad atal for an entry level road bike, I think you could even pick the Triban 100 up for cheaper than that new tbh, have a look for the higher end models of Triban bikes on market place and could probably get a better one 2nd hand.

#16 ·
I cycled around most of the U.K. during lockdown. I enjoy it but now I'm training again I just stick to general commuting.
300quid will not get much atall when it comes to a road bike. Atleast not anything decent.

If I was you, I'd keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones you could get yourself a good deal and certainly a better bike than you'd get brand new for that price.

I don't know if they're still about but Triban are actually not bad atal for an entry level road bike, I think you could even pick the Triban 100 up for cheaper than that new tbh, have a look for the higher end models of Triban bikes on market place and could probably get a better one 2nd hand.
What's the difference between a bike for 2/300 compared to a few grand?

Like noticeable difference I know it'll be lighter and all that jazz but would you notice any

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.