What would the Schwarzenegger era of the 70's taken in terms of PEDs? Obviously didn't have things they do now  so just wondering what a 70's cycle would of looked like.

Can't remember what it was I was watching but it was claimed that it was all kept surpassingly simple and on low amounts.

I don't think much was known about the dangers, so maybe it was just blasting test and dbol without breaks.

2 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Pretty sure test and deca were the main ones used back then. And they didn’t have the knowledge of AI either apparently. 

Weren't even available then. In those days you gradually built up the dose, stayed there for a bit, then gradually tapered it down again. Less complicated times and better physiques in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Denied said:

Can't remember what it was I was watching but it was claimed that it was all kept surpassingly simple and on low amounts.

I don't think much was known about the dangers, so maybe it was just blasting test and dbol without breaks.

Simple yes but low amounts, I'm not sure about that. They knew all the stuff helped them grow but didn't have the knowledge of long term side effects so they would have had the mentality more=bigger

6 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Weren't even available then. In those days you gradually built up the dose, stayed there for a bit, then gradually tapered it down again. Less complicated times and better physiques in my opinion. 

Yup, I spoke to a guy in the gym about dbol around 15 years or so ago and he was in that old skool mindset. Pyramid up, stay there, pyramid down. No Nolva no pct!

32 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Deca

D-Bol

Primo

Winny

Test as a must have base became a thing in the early 90s

Danny

I found this pretty interesting 

Lee Priest ran stuff without test and only started after he had already won a few shows , just goes to show how insane his genetics are . Apparently this was the interview that ruined his career because he didn't hide his identity

In Toms interviews some of the other ones are obvious (Big Ron!!) 

https://youtu.be/IORZeA0aLrI

3 minutes ago, jake87 said:

Simple yes but low amounts, I'm not sure about that. They knew all the stuff helped them grow but didn't have the knowledge of long term side effects so they would have had the mentality more=bigger

I don't think the protocols in those days came close to the ones that are common today. And much less polypharmacy too. And they also certainly knew that what they were doing wasn't doing their liver or their balls any favours hence they tried not to stay on too long. The only option for recovery in those days was to come off and give your body time to sort it out. 

Watch the beginning of Pumping when Arnold goes into the gym - he looks like nothing. 3 months later he looks like a different species. 

4 minutes ago, Youdontknowme said:

Yup, I spoke to a guy in the gym about dbol around 15 years or so ago and he was in that old skool mindset. Pyramid up, stay there, pyramid down. No Nolva no pct!

Get any of the underground steroid books or pamphlets from that time and they all recommend Dbol only for first cycles. Some responded so well they stuck with it. 

30 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Here's what a pre-contest protocol might look like. Anyone competing today up for a compare and contrast?

20201020_202903.jpg

What booklet is it from? 

1 minute ago, Simon90 said:

What booklet is it from? 

In those days you'd see an advert in a bodybuilding magazine, something like "get the supplements you really want" or learn about hard to get supplements". You'd send a postal order off and back would come a pamphlet or stapled letter. I think that one was called 'Chemical Bodybuilding'. 

2 hours ago, Kazza61 said:

100% agree. 

On 20/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, mal said:

Dbol built alot of muscle mass back then...

Mate of mine doing a Dbol only cycle back then pressed all the tabs out of the foil strips into an egg cup and kept them under his bed so “if his missus found them she wouldn’t know what they were”. Only she found them and said what are these?? I don’t he replied. They’re bloody steroids aren’t they?   Yes, he replied, but they’re not mine! Who’s are they then? Kazza’s he replied having broken under virtually no pressure whatsoever. Next thing his wife rings me and gives me a right earful and tells me in no uncertain terms to stop hiding my steroids under their bed! Christ knows how she thought I was getting in and out of their house. So my mate got off scott free and his missus has hated me to this day.

9 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Mate of mine doing a Dbol only cycle back them pressed all the tabs out of the foil strips into an egg cup and kept them under his bed so “if his missus found them she wouldn’t know what they were”. Only she found them and said what are these?? I don’t he replied. They’re bloody steroids aren’t they?   Yes, he replied, but they’re not mine! Who’s are they then? Kazza’s he replied having broken under virtually no pressure whatsoever. Next thing his wife rings me and gives me a right earful and tells me in no uncertain terms to stop hiding my steroids under their bed! Christ knows how she thought I was getting in and out of their house. So my mate got off scott free and his missus has hated me to this day.

I used to hide mine from my mum in my fishing tackle box haha..

Crazy to think that in the ‘golden era’ they didn’t have anywhere near the knowledge we do now. yet these days stuff seems so complicated..(in pro bodybuilding) 

Seems strange how back then they’d run test/dbol/primo etc..have a legit head full of hair, no major gyno/no serious acne and such sides.

But now you have drugs to combat such sides..like fina for hair/accutane for acne etc.. and yet still so many people are unable to control such sides.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t even use test in the ‘Golden era’ that only became a big thing in the late 80’s early 90’s along with the likes of HGH. I’m pretty certain they was limited to dbol, primo, stanozolol and deca like @Shergar has commented already, strange how limited they were and not using test as a base but their physiques were so aesthetically pleasing. 

If someone from the golden era was to post their cycle now they'd likely be ripped for it. Yet we don't have old timers dropping like flies or having no virility. Whatever they did clearly worked as well and I'm not sure the transition to modern cycles was motivated by a surge in health issues. I read somewhere they didn't even like test back then and considered it a cheap and dirty steroid lol deca was popular as was dbol. Maybe something to consider for everyone, use less compounds, smaller doses, train correctly and diet properly and you can no doubt achieve phenomenal results.

Ps- I much prefer the physiques from that era too