Sign in to follow this  
EpicSquats

Knocking sound when driving car

I left my car stood on the road for 8 weeks and didn't drive it. I changed the battery today, and then took a drive in it. There is a knocking sound that seems to get faster and louder the faster you go as you drive it. It doesn't happen when you leave the car stopped and just rev the engine. I asked a dude to listen for the sound as I drove past him and it seemed to be just a slight knock when he heard it. What could it be? We both looked and there didn't appear to have anything hanging down touching the back wheels. It brakes just fine and drives just fine apart from the knocking. The wheels don't seem loose, and the exhaust seems fine. I'm stumped as to what it could be to be honest. Any ideas? I could have missed something, it's hard to see under the car. It's a pretty old car by the way.

Sound like you don't know a lot about cars, so when I tell you it's probably your driveshaft isn't going to help as you are going to be taking it to a garage to get it fixed anyway. 

2 minutes ago, elliot438 said:

Sound like you don't know a lot about cars, so when I tell you it's probably your driveshaft isn't going to help as you are going to be taking it to a garage to get it fixed anyway. 

I know they go brum brum and stop when they run out of drivey juice.

Could be a few things...drivshaft,balljoint,wheel bearing.

Is it petrol? Change the spark plugs might be misfiring on a plug,

Something goes wrong on my car I usually buy the parts myself from Eurocarparts as they always have sales on then just pay for a local mechanic to fit it.

90% it will just be some corrosion on the brakes. 

Is it electronic parking brake or old style hand brake?  

Whilst driving gently use the brake does the noise change? 

8 minutes ago, sean m said:

90% it will just be some corrosion on the brakes. 

Is it electronic parking brake or old style hand brake?  

Whilst driving gently use the brake does the noise change? 

Normal hand brake. I have tried gently using the brake while driving, the sound doesn't change.

3 hours ago, EpicSquats said:

Normal hand brake. I have tried gently using the brake while driving, the sound doesn't 

Have a look through the wheels at the shiny area of the disc brakes to see if it looks coroded or if you can see a outline of the pad marked on the disc. 

Are the rear brakes disc or drum? 

What car is it? 

I had this tapping on my old Mitzi. Thought the worst, took it to a mechanic. Turned out to be a loose hub cap :lol:

Shake it, kick it, rock it. You may find something Bud.