Sign in to follow this  
warwick

Can anyone answer this question regarding body fat and muscle repair/build?

Hi all

So I have an office job and sit all day except for lunch time when I go on a 1.5 mile walk. I work out doing only heavy weights 5 days a week, my body is around 20% body fat which i am working on reducing.

My question is: Due to my sedentary job I don't want to be eating lots of carbs which i know you need to build muscle along with a high protein diet. I'd typically be trying to eat 275g carbs and 275g protein but would my body tap into my body fat to repair and build the muscle if I was on a lower amount of carbs , say around 150g?

On 19/10/2020 at 10:32 AM, warwick said:

would my body tap into my body fat to repair and build the muscle if I was on a lower amount of carbs

Your body will tap into body fat so long as you’re in a balanced calorie deficit

It sounds like you’re hoping to gain muscle and lose fat. Isn’t going to happen Bud. Your training and the right protein intake will help preserve your muscle while losing fat. The rest should be made up of fats and carbs (the ratio is very individual)

How much do you weigh Bud.?

Weighing in around 80/81kg. What I don't want to be doing is putting belly fat on as I have a sedentary office job, I do get out at lunchtime and do 1.5 walk every day though so i was kinda hoping that with a medium intake of carbs my body might utilise body fat for a while but I don't think it works that way as you say.

Any idea on 48 yr old with office job should be hitting in carbs roughly? I'm working out 5 days a week around 1hr a time. I'm hitting about 225g carbs and same protein. Would this be about right?

Thanks mate

9 minutes ago, warwick said:

Weighing in around 80/81kg. What I don't want to be doing is putting belly fat on as I have a sedentary office job, I do get out at lunchtime and do 1.5 walk every day though so i was kinda hoping that with a medium intake of carbs my body might utilise body fat for a while but I don't think it works that way as you say.

Any idea on 48 yr old with office job should be hitting in carbs roughly? I'm working out 5 days a week around 1hr a time. I'm hitting about 225g carbs and same protein. Would this be about right?

Thanks mate

I work an office job and sit on my arse all day. Try to do a 15 min walk a day but even that goes out the window the majority of the time. I train 4x a week. I eat 600g carbs a day at about your weight. 

600g carbs??? Wow, how the f**k do you even eat that much??? I'm struggling to eat what I do!

Are you not putting fat on with 600g carbs a day? What sort of protein are you hitting?

43 minutes ago, warwick said:

600g carbs??? Wow, how the f**k do you even eat that much??? I'm struggling to eat what I do!

Are you not putting fat on with 600g carbs a day? What sort of protein are you hitting?

Not getting fat mate no, averaging a pound a week weight gain. My cals are high, my protein  is high too as some on here have pointed out lol... circa 300g protein and 110g fats