Sign in to follow this  
Kazza61

502kg Deadlift.

18 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

How hard did Mikhail Shivlyakov work for that Masters world record.

Harder than a hard thing on a hard day!!!

99% of lifters would have given up on that. Shakes most of the way up, blood pissing from his nose but he did seem to lock it out in the end. 

One of those lifts that was 90% mental and the other 10% was in his head:thumb

15 minutes ago, ByTheNumbers said:

99% of lifters would have given up on that. Shakes most of the way up, blood pissing from his nose but he did seem to lock it out in the end. 

Was hard to just watch it tbh lol. Wobbling like mad. Insane lift. 

1 hour ago, ByTheNumbers said:

That was a fooking mans lift

39 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

Feels like several people will be hitting 500kg soon

The Roger Banister effect.

Although I like Laurence Shalaei view on Makarov, he trains far too heavy too often. 

His speed off the floor is daft, with a proper peak I reckon he could have topped the 500 before Thor did.

14 minutes ago, swole troll said:

Although I like Laurence Shalaei view on Makarov, he trains far too heavy too often. 

His speed off the floor is daft, with a proper peak I reckon he could have topped the 500 before Thor did.

A 52kg jump from 450 to 502 probably didn't help either! Craziness

18 minutes ago, mrwright said:

A 52kg jump from 450 to 502 probably didn't help either! Craziness

It's not that big a leap really if you look at it in relative terms. It's like someone who could max 100kg going from 90kg to 100kg. 

35 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

It's not that big a leap really if you look at it in relative terms. It's like someone who could max 100kg going from 90kg to 100kg. 

I’d say an increase of over 10% on a lift of 450kg is a pretty big leap. Probably about another 1/3rd of his body weight give or take.

5 hours ago, Donny dog said:

I’d say an increase of over 10% on a lift of 450kg is a pretty big leap. Probably about another 1/3rd of his body weight give or take.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11534178/hafthor-julius-bjornsson-world-deadlift-record/

After two successful warm-up lifts of 420kg and 460kg, Thor then managed to lift 501kg - 1kg higher than Hall's record.

So when Thor did it he did 460kg then 501kg so much much different 

It makes sense really. You don't want the warm up too heavy or you will not max out as much and I would assume they get advice on what weights to use for the warm ups.

6 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

It makes sense really. You don't want the warm up too heavy or you will not max out as much and I would assume they get advice on what weights to use for the warm ups.

But then you don’t wanna lift too light and feel like you’ve not fully psychologically prepared yourself for such a heavy weight. 
Unsure who can advise if no one has done it before and everyone is different. If one has been training heavy lifts they’ll know what works and what doesn’t unless they’ve paid zero interest in their training and just lifted when told to lift. 

8 hours ago, swole troll said:

Athletics is also a good analogy for those who say 1 extra kg isn't worth going for. The 100m world record gets beaten by 10ths and even100ths of a second. I think we'll only see that record going up a kilo at a time unless some new super-freak emerges from somewhere. 

And on the subject of Thor, wasn't he extremely gracious and encouraging even though there was a chance his record could be broken? Good role model for Eddie in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Kazza61 said:

And on the subject of Thor, wasn't he extremely gracious and encouraging even though there was a chance his record could be broken? Good role model for Eddie in that regard. 

My personal opinion on that matter is Thor is more sporting despite what the weird largely UK ran strongman media portrays.

That said, I do think Eddie is a t**t however when you take into account his strength across the board I believe him to be the strongest static lifter to ever live. 

And the 500kg was electric! 501 had no where near the effect 500 did for me.

I've watched that ground breaking, unprecedented feat of strength countless times and could still watch it now and get a buzz.

The crowd, the hype, the uncharted waters, Eddie literally having a pit crew to keep him ticking over where he'd pushed his body to such an absurd extreme for his frame. 

I don't know what's more impressive, Eddie's strength or him somehow becoming an even bigger t**t with his denture teeth and greased back hair since he left the sport.

12 minutes ago, swole troll said:

My personal opinion on that matter is Thor is more sporting despite what the weird largely UK ran strongman media portrays.

That said, I do think Eddie is a t**t however when you take into account his strength across the board I believe him to be the strongest static lifter to ever live. 

I've watched that ground breaking, unprecedented feat of strength countless times and could still watch it now and get a buzz.

The crowd, the hype, the uncharted waters, Eddie literally having a pit crew to keep him ticking over where he'd pushed his body to such an absurd extreme for his frame. 

I don't know what's more impressive, Eddie's strength or him somehow becoming an even bigger t**t with his denture teeth and greased back hair since he left the sport.

Total agree on all points. I was there that day in Leeds. It was unreal. 

Strongman really is a great sport for camaraderie and support. Events like Britain's, Europe's and the Tour Finals in the UK have taken it to another level. 

37 minutes ago, swole troll said:

You can take the man out of Stoke......

2 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11534178/hafthor-julius-bjornsson-world-deadlift-record/

After two successful warm-up lifts of 420kg and 460kg, Thor then managed to lift 501kg - 1kg higher than Hall's record.

So when Thor did it he did 460kg then 501kg so much much different 

But when you’re going for a 1RM what increase do you aim for?

Before lockdown I was aiming to pull a 200kg dead lift and my lifts before it were 3 reps at 140 2 at 160 and 1 at 180 so nothing like a 10% increase going into my one rep max attempt.

I failed on 3 separate occasions though so WTF do I know??:confused1::D

36 minutes ago, mal said:

Cant see anyone beating thors deadlift for a long long time

Thor could. He said he didn't expect his record to last long during yesterday's commentary. 

27 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Thor could. He said he didn't expect his record to last long during yesterday's commentary. 

I don't think people quite understand the magnitude of what these guys are putting their bodies through. That's why you have people making silly claims about these guys going for 510kg or it's not worth it. I mean WTF? I reckon we're at the stage with deads that we've been at with the log press. It's going to take a spectacular athlete to surpass that.

31 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I don't think people quite understand the magnitude of what these guys are putting their bodies through. That's why you have people making silly claims about these guys going for 510kg or it's not worth it. I mean WTF? I reckon we're at the stage with deads that we've been at with the log press. It's going to take a spectacular athlete to surpass that.

Totally agree. When the world record for the 100m is broken by 3 100ths of a second, no-one says fvck that sh1t it’s hardly worth it.

1 minute ago, Kazza61 said:

Totally agree. When the world record for the 100m is broken by 3 100ths of a second, no-one says fvck that sh1t it’s hardly worth it.

I feel bad for Rob Kearney. Hope he makes a speedy recovery after his tricep rupture last week. Looked nasty, but it's seemingly pretty positive about it all. Back to competing in 10 months.

Injuries are horrid things. I'm just recovered fully, more or less, from a Grade 3 hamstring tendon distal rupture 10 month on. Thankfully, I've got almost full function back.

9 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I feel bad for Rob Kearney. Hope he makes a speedy recovery after his tricep rupture last week. Looked nasty, but it's seemingly pretty positive about it all. Back to competing in 10 months.

Injuries are horrid things. I'm just recovered fully, more or less, from a Grade 3 hamstring tendon distal rupture 10 month on. Thankfully, I've got almost full function back.

The one I always felt sorry for was Krzysztof Radzikowski who always seemed to tear something in the big contests. See him close up and you can see all the surgeries he’s had around his joints. Good luck with your own recovery - hope it all works out. 

11 hours ago, Donny dog said:

But when you’re going for a 1RM what increase do you aim for?

Before lockdown I was aiming to pull a 200kg dead lift and my lifts before it were 3 reps at 140 2 at 160 and 1 at 180 so nothing like a 10% increase going into my one rep max attempt.

I failed on 3 separate occasions though so WTF do I know??:confused1::D

I'm confused now:confused1:

You were going for 200kg and last warm up was 180kg.

That's similar to him using 50kg less for last warm up.