Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kazza61

502kg Deadlift.

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

How hard did Mikhail Shivlyakov work for that Masters world record.

 

Harder than a hard thing on a hard day!!!

99% of lifters would have given up on that. Shakes most of the way up, blood pissing from his nose but he did seem to lock it out in the end. 

One of those lifts that was 90% mental and the other 10% was in his head:thumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ByTheNumbers said:

Harder than a hard thing on a hard day!!!

99% of lifters would have given up on that. Shakes most of the way up, blood pissing from his nose but he did seem to lock it out in the end. 

One of those lifts that was 90% mental and the other 10% was in his head:thumb

Was hard to just watch it tbh lol. Wobbling like mad. Insane lift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ByTheNumbers said:

Harder than a hard thing on a hard day!!!

99% of lifters would have given up on that. Shakes most of the way up, blood pissing from his nose but he did seem to lock it out in the end. 

One of those lifts that was 90% mental and the other 10% was in his head:thumb

That was a fooking mans lift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SwoleTip said:

Feels like several people will be hitting 500kg soon

The Roger Banister effect.

Although I like Laurence Shalaei view on Makarov, he trains far too heavy too often. 

His speed off the floor is daft, with a proper peak I reckon he could have topped the 500 before Thor did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, swole troll said:

The Roger Banister effect.

Although I like Laurence Shalaei view on Makarov, he trains far too heavy too often. 

His speed off the floor is daft, with a proper peak I reckon he could have topped the 500 before Thor did.

A 52kg jump from 450 to 502 probably didn't help either! Craziness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mrwright said:

A 52kg jump from 450 to 502 probably didn't help either! Craziness

It's not that big a leap really if you look at it in relative terms. It's like someone who could max 100kg going from 90kg to 100kg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

It's not that big a leap really if you look at it in relative terms. It's like someone who could max 100kg going from 90kg to 100kg. 

I’d say an increase of over 10% on a lift of 450kg is a pretty big leap. Probably about another 1/3rd of his body weight give or take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Donny dog said:

I’d say an increase of over 10% on a lift of 450kg is a pretty big leap. Probably about another 1/3rd of his body weight give or take.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11534178/hafthor-julius-bjornsson-world-deadlift-record/

After two successful warm-up lifts of 420kg and 460kg, Thor then managed to lift 501kg - 1kg higher than Hall's record.

 

So when Thor did it he did 460kg then 501kg so much much different 

It makes sense really. You don't want the warm up too heavy or you will not max out as much and I would assume they get advice on what weights to use for the warm ups.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

It makes sense really. You don't want the warm up too heavy or you will not max out as much and I would assume they get advice on what weights to use for the warm ups.

But then you don’t wanna lift too light and feel like you’ve not fully psychologically prepared yourself for such a heavy weight. 
Unsure who can advise if no one has done it before and everyone is different. If one has been training heavy lifts they’ll know what works and what doesn’t unless they’ve paid zero interest in their training and just lifted when told to lift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, swole troll said:

The Roger Banister effect.

Although I like Laurence Shalaei view on Makarov, he trains far too heavy too often. 

His speed off the floor is daft, with a proper peak I reckon he could have topped the 500 before Thor did.

Athletics is also a good analogy for those who say 1 extra kg isn't worth going for. The 100m world record gets beaten by 10ths and even100ths of a second. I think we'll only see that record going up a kilo at a time unless some new super-freak emerges from somewhere. 

And on the subject of Thor, wasn't he extremely gracious and encouraging even though there was a chance his record could be broken? Good role model for Eddie in that regard. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kazza61 said:

 

And on the subject of Thor, wasn't he extremely gracious and encouraging even though there was a chance his record could be broken? Good role model for Eddie in that regard. 

 

My personal opinion on that matter is Thor is more sporting despite what the weird largely UK ran strongman media portrays.

That said, I do think Eddie is a t**t however when you take into account his strength across the board I believe him to be the strongest static lifter to ever live. 

And the 500kg was electric! 501 had no where near the effect 500 did for me.

I've watched that ground breaking, unprecedented feat of strength countless times and could still watch it now and get a buzz.

The crowd, the hype, the uncharted waters, Eddie literally having a pit crew to keep him ticking over where he'd pushed his body to such an absurd extreme for his frame. 

I don't know what's more impressive, Eddie's strength or him somehow becoming an even bigger t**t with his denture teeth and greased back hair since he left the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, swole troll said:

My personal opinion on that matter is Thor is more sporting despite what the weird largely UK ran strongman media portrays.

That said, I do think Eddie is a t**t however when you take into account his strength across the board I believe him to be the strongest static lifter to ever live. 

And the 500kg was electric! 501 had no where near the effect 500 did for me.

I've watched that ground breaking, unprecedented feat of strength countless times and could still watch it now and get a buzz.

The crowd, the hype, the uncharted waters, Eddie literally having a pit crew to keep him ticking over where he'd pushed his body to such an absurd extreme for his frame. 

I don't know what's more impressive, Eddie's strength or him somehow becoming an even bigger t**t with his denture teeth and greased back hair since he left the sport.

Total agree on all points. I was there that day in Leeds. It was unreal. 

Strongman really is a great sport for camaraderie and support. Events like Britain's, Europe's and the Tour Finals in the UK have taken it to another level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, swole troll said:

My personal opinion on that matter is Thor is more sporting despite what the weird largely UK ran strongman media portrays.

That said, I do think Eddie is a t**t however when you take into account his strength across the board I believe him to be the strongest static lifter to ever live. 

And the 500kg was electric! 501 had no where near the effect 500 did for me.

I've watched that ground breaking, unprecedented feat of strength countless times and could still watch it now and get a buzz.

The crowd, the hype, the uncharted waters, Eddie literally having a pit crew to keep him ticking over where he'd pushed his body to such an absurd extreme for his frame. 

I don't know what's more impressive, Eddie's strength or him somehow becoming an even bigger t**t with his denture teeth and greased back hair since he left the sport.

You can take the man out of Stoke......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11534178/hafthor-julius-bjornsson-world-deadlift-record/

After two successful warm-up lifts of 420kg and 460kg, Thor then managed to lift 501kg - 1kg higher than Hall's record.

 

So when Thor did it he did 460kg then 501kg so much much different 

It makes sense really. You don't want the warm up too heavy or you will not max out as much and I would assume they get advice on what weights to use for the warm ups.

 

But when you’re going for a 1RM what increase do you aim for?

Before lockdown I was aiming to pull a 200kg dead lift and my lifts before it were 3 reps at 140 2 at 160 and 1 at 180 so nothing like a 10% increase going into my one rep max attempt.

I failed on 3 separate occasions though so WTF do I know??:confused1::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mal said:

Cant see anyone beating thors deadlift for a long long time

Thor could. He said he didn't expect his record to last long during yesterday's commentary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

Thor could. He said he didn't expect his record to last long during yesterday's commentary. 

I don't think people quite understand the magnitude of what these guys are putting their bodies through. That's why you have people making silly claims about these guys going for 510kg or it's not worth it. I mean WTF? I reckon we're at the stage with deads that we've been at with the log press. It's going to take a spectacular athlete to surpass that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I don't think people quite understand the magnitude of what these guys are putting their bodies through. That's why you have people making silly claims about these guys going for 510kg or it's not worth it. I mean WTF? I reckon we're at the stage with deads that we've been at with the log press. It's going to take a spectacular athlete to surpass that.

Totally agree. When the world record for the 100m is broken by 3 100ths of a second, no-one says fvck that sh1t it’s hardly worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kazza61 said:

Totally agree. When the world record for the 100m is broken by 3 100ths of a second, no-one says fvck that sh1t it’s hardly worth it.

I feel bad for Rob Kearney. Hope he makes a speedy recovery after his tricep rupture last week. Looked nasty, but it's seemingly pretty positive about it all. Back to competing in 10 months.

Injuries are horrid things. I'm just recovered fully, more or less, from a Grade 3 hamstring tendon distal rupture 10 month on. Thankfully, I've got almost full function back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I feel bad for Rob Kearney. Hope he makes a speedy recovery after his tricep rupture last week. Looked nasty, but it's seemingly pretty positive about it all. Back to competing in 10 months.

Injuries are horrid things. I'm just recovered fully, more or less, from a Grade 3 hamstring tendon distal rupture 10 month on. Thankfully, I've got almost full function back.

The one I always felt sorry for was Krzysztof Radzikowski who always seemed to tear something in the big contests. See him close up and you can see all the surgeries he’s had around his joints. Good luck with your own recovery - hope it all works out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Donny dog said:

But when you’re going for a 1RM what increase do you aim for?

Before lockdown I was aiming to pull a 200kg dead lift and my lifts before it were 3 reps at 140 2 at 160 and 1 at 180 so nothing like a 10% increase going into my one rep max attempt.

I failed on 3 separate occasions though so WTF do I know??:confused1::D

I'm confused now:confused1:

You were going for 200kg and last warm up was 180kg.

That's similar to him using 50kg less for last warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×