Sign in to follow this  
sean m

Armed police shut down gym

5 hours ago, neverminder said:

Good of the many, not the few. It's been proven over and over again that absolute majority of people are not at risk.

• Current scenario - economy is being damaged so badly that it may not recover for decades. The irony - old people's pensions are being paid by working age people and businesses that pay taxes. Stop them from working, guess what's gonna happen? The government is blabbering about raising taxes, works so well for Italy with massive shadow economy, doesn't it?
  • Alternative scenario - risk group is quarantined until such time that the viable vaccine is found. Economy gets to recover, government is able to afford paying the risk group's pensions and whatever support they need.

Why didn’t that little devil Boris think of that!!! All that money on a public school education and he can’t see the wood for the trees!!!

Whatever next?

5 hours ago, Mingster said:

You don't have to go out to a shop to spend ffs. And I'm not seeing many shops close. 

Gyms? Hardly make a difference to economy do they?

I think this is what a lot of people are not taking into account. What's the average gym membership these days, £30 a month maybe, considering most are 15 quid a pop these days. 

Meal in a restaurant £40 for two, then the same on drinks, which are mostly tax.

As for pensioners being skint. More pensioners paying 40% tax than people in there 30s these days.

6 hours ago, andysutils said:

This is hard to believe its the same guy.

34404430-8841079-image-m-5_1602712124794

Honestly, low body/ high body fat can drastically change the shape of someone's face. 

This is coming from someone who looks like an absolute lard when bulking. 

"At last count the UK had 7,239 gyms, with around two-thirds run privately and the rest by councils or operators on their behalf. With 10.4m memberships, it is an £8bn-a-year industry that employs around 190,000 people – double that, if the likes of personal trainers are included"

so over 10 million people use gyms to keep help keep themselves physically and mentally in shape.

yet some idiotic lemmings on a lifting forum (No less!) think it's fine for gyms to shut down again for god knows how long.

what percentage will be left when our great leaders let them re open again?

10 hours ago, js77 said:

Why didn’t that little devil Boris think of that!!! All that money on a public school education and he can’t see the wood for the trees!!!

Whatever next?

Because no amount of money spent on education can buy common sense.

And 99.9% of the fukers in Westminster don't have one iota of that.

That's why it took them the best part of 4 years and millions of pounds of taxpayers money to finally act on the result of a national referendum.

Even though every party pre referendum vowed to respect and uphold the public decision, whichever way it went.

I see it daily with these academic types. All the book smarts in the world and not a grain of sense. 

15 hours ago, Mingster said:

You don't have to go out to a shop to spend ffs. And I'm not seeing many shops close. 

Gyms? Hardly make a difference to economy do they?

Lol, that's such a narrow-sighted comment. The long-term effects of gym closures have the potential to cause astronomical damage to the economy and wider population.  Not everyone goes to the gym to try and achieve 20 inch arms. 

For many, millions probably, it's a method to manage struggling mental health.  For many others, probably also in the millions, it's a medical referral based on whatever physical health issues. When all these people become sick(er) again they won't be able to work, whatever it is they do.  The domino effect of this could be epic.  

15 minutes ago, Saffaboy said:

Lol, that's such a narrow-sighted comment. The long-term effects of gym closures have the potential to cause astronomical damage to the economy and wider population.  Not everyone goes to the gym to try and achieve 20 inch arms. 

For many, millions probably, it's a method to manage struggling mental health.  For many others, probably also in the millions, it's a medical referral based on whatever physical health issues. When all these people become sick(er) again they won't be able to work, whatever it is they do.  The domino effect of this could be epic.  

If only someone would invent a way of running or walking without a tread mill or cycling without using an exercise bike? 

Edit - if someone would invent this wonderful new way of exercising outdoors, it would probably be far better for people's mental health.

3 minutes ago, Denied said:

If only someone would invent a way of running or walking without a tread mill or cycling without using an exercise bike? 

Spoken like a healthy person with underlying issues. facepalm*

10 hours ago, Denied said:

I think this is what a lot of people are not taking into account. What's the average gym membership these days, £30 a month maybe, considering most are 15 quid a pop these days. 

Meal in a restaurant £40 for two, then the same on drinks, which are mostly tax.

As for pensioners being skint. More pensioners paying 40% tax than people in there 30s these days.

The monthly cost isn't the greatest indication of how profitable a gym is to the economy. A burger in asda is cheaper than a burger from five guys, but asda is obviously the larger company. 

"It has more gyms, more members and a greater market value than ever before. Several key milestones have been achieved over the last 12 months. The total UK membership has broken the 10 million mark and the industry is now worth more than £5 billion for the first time"

That's just the gyms, before you include any other sport centres, supplement companies, gymwear companies, swimming pools etc..

In fairness Restaurants and food trucks combined are worth about £40 billion, so still likely more but not that much more. 

2 minutes ago, Saffaboy said:

Spoken like a healthy person with underlying issues. facepalm*

You'll have to explain that. If you can go to a gym, you can go for a walk.

12 minutes ago, Denied said:

Edit - if someone would invent this wonderful new way of exercising outdoors, it would probably be far better for people's mental health.

Think about it for a minute. I’ve had home gyms and treadmills over the years , always gave up using them . Much easier to have a routine of going gym and doing your s**t. Plenty of people aren’t like me and can train at home with the same enthusiasm and focus. But plenty are like me. 

plenty don’t have space for cardio equipment. So they could do some high knees in the front room. How boring would that get. 

oh but they can run outside. , busy working people who can only go in the morning /evening. Women, scared of getting attacked /raped in the park. Especially now the mornings and evening are dark and freezing cold 

thise factors rule out a lot of people. Take away the safety, comfort , convenience of the gym they have nothing. Regardless of some people’s views on , if you wanted it bad enough you’d make do 

This is the argument for gyms to stay open that I mentioned in an earlier post.
‘Gyms and leisure facilities in England have seen more than 22 million visits since reopening but just 78 confirmed cases of COVID-19 among customers, according to new figures published by ukactive’

Really interesting reading from our industry governing body about Corona in gyms. We know we have high standards in our gym, and as an industry it looks like we have created safe enviroment’s for you to work out in. Keep up the good work everyone, lets beat this!

To read more of these finding’s click the link https://www.ukactive.com/news/fitness-and-leisure-sector-reports-covid-rate-of-0-34-per-100000-visits-since-reopening-in-england/

16 minutes ago, Youdontknowme said:

Think about it for a minute. I’ve had home gyms and treadmills over the years , always gave up using them . Much easier to have a routine of going gym and doing your s**t. Plenty of people aren’t like me and can train at home with the same enthusiasm and focus. But plenty are like me. 

plenty don’t have space for cardio equipment. So they could do some high knees in the front room. How boring would that get. 

oh but they can run outside. , busy working people who can only go in the morning /evening. Women, scared of getting attacked /raped in the park. Especially now the mornings and evening are dark and freezing cold 

thise factors rule out a lot of people. Take away the safety, comfort , convenience of the gym they have nothing. Regardless of some people’s views on , if you wanted it bad enough you’d make do 

Fair point on the safety aspects of it, I tend to assume at 6am on a Wednesday morning when it's 2degress, all the drug dealers are tucked up in bed and as a 40 year old male, I'm not your usual rape target.

As for routine, going running is the same routine that gets you going to the gym and anyone who runs both inside and outside will tell you which ones more enjoyable even when its minus 5 and despite what we might tell ourselves, lifting heavy weights is probably doing us more harm than good in the long run. The real benefit is from doing the boring stuff (cardio)

As mentioned, going for a run has way more benefit than the gym. No-one needs big biceps to be healthy whichever way you look at it.

People need to go to the gym because of the social aspect. Whether that be chatting with mates, showing off to others, feeling part of a like minded group, etc.

The odd person will go because they are a serious trainer, but the vast majority are social butterflies. Just look around yourself.

2 hours ago, MickeyE said:

Because no amount of money spent on education can buy common sense.

And 99.9% of the fukers in Westminster don't have one iota of that.

That's why it took them the best part of 4 years and millions of pounds of taxpayers money to finally act on the result of a national referendum.

Even though every party pre referendum vowed to respect and uphold the public decision, whichever way it went.

I see it daily with these academic types. All the book smarts in the world and not a grain of sense. 

I was being ironic you silly sausage !

1 hour ago, Mingster said:

As mentioned, going for a run has way more benefit than the gym. No-one needs big biceps to be healthy whichever way you look at it.

People need to go to the gym because of the social aspect. Whether that be chatting with mates, showing off to others, feeling part of a like minded group, etc.

The odd person will go because they are a serious trainer, but the vast majority are social butterflies. Just look around yourself.

God forbid someone would choose to go to a gym and enjoy the social aspects of that, while keeping fit, rather than going  on a solitary 5 mile run!

It makes no difference whether most gym goers are serious trainers or not. They obviously all get something out of attending the gym or they wouldn't go.

Human beings are social creatures by nature. All of these measures are destroying social interaction throughout society. This is very bad fo collective mental health. Social interaction is what keeps most people sane.

At this point I'm not certain it's not a deliberate aim.

So Liverpool moved into tier 3 and gyms had to close. Lancashire has also just moved into tier 3, but gyms can remain open. Where is the consistency? And what’s the reasoning? 

5 hours ago, Pez189 said:

Where is the consistency? And what’s the reasoning?

As it stands, local politicians have the final say on tier 3 restrictions. So it follows that tier 3 restrictions in different municipalities will vary. Is it daft? Yes. Ultimately, Boris Johnson wants to shift the onus away from him so if the s**t hits the fan it doesn’t land on him.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, hmgs said:

...and lots of (fu**ing) hard work!

doesn't work any harder than members of every gym

6 hours ago, M.I.A said:

doesn't work any harder than members of every gym

Every gym - you sure; you’ve checked, you’ve monitored every workout, in every gym, in the entire universe?