UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Anybody buy Halal meat?

470 views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  js77 
#1 ·
Overheard two chaps talking in the gym yesterday both Non-Muslim and one was saying that due to the way some slaughter houses stun the animals, the adrenaline leads to meat being "tougher" or "chewier" to eat.

Apparently Halal meat is slaughtered in a totally different way and is much more humane and the animal dies quicker?

I'm happy with the meat I get, always tender and never tough but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this- Meat and slaughter only and not religion please gents.

Danny

#24 ·
That's like saying there's no such thing as 'rape'..... I'll let you ponder over that one.

For the record I wouldn't go near halal meat. I currently train at a gym in Slough and walk past 3 halal butchers on the way to the gym....I'm surprised I've not caught hepatitis just looking through their windows they are that disgustingly unhygienic.

#4 ·
Bolt to the head for me to.

One this I've noticed we buy our food from lidl. There grass fed chickens are always nicer. We've tried the organic breasts too and the meat is alot chewier compared to standard. I guess it's because they are fed better and have the space to roam around and actually use there legs.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I avoid halal meat at all costs, wouldnt even eat it if I had it for free. The way the animals die for their meat is disgusting.

Yes majority of cattle got to die for meat but atleast they are killed the most humane way possible and kept in good conditions when brought up governed by the law, fsa and animal welfare rights before they are killed . Halal on the other hand, in my eyes wrong. Each to their own though.

#7 ·
Overheard two chaps talking in the gym yesterday both Non-Muslim and one was saying that due to the way some slaughter houses stun the animals, the adrenaline leads to meat being "tougher" or "chewier" to eat.

Apparently Halal meat is slaughtered in a totally different way and is much more humane and the animal dies quicker?

I'm happy with the meat I get, always tender and never tough but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this- Meat and slaughter only and not religion please gents.

Danny
As the others have said, I think it's the other way around. 'We' stuns them for a pretty much instant death, halal I believe is slit their throat and let the blood drain from them whilst hanging upside down.

I wouldn't avoid halal meat on purpose, but wouldn't chose it over 'normal' meat.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nearly all halal meat is slaughtered in the same way as any other non halal and nearly all Muslims in the west are fine with it. It is still stunned, contrary to what many believe. The only real difference is the animal must be pointing towards Mecca and prayers must be performed. Commercial abattoirs set up their machinery facing Mecca and play prayers over loudspeakers to cater for the halal market and will supply "non halal" meat too, when in reality it has been slaughtered in the same way.

Some very strict Muslims do not believe the aforementioned slaughter is halal, hence niche abattoirs and halal butchers. These represent a small percentage of the market.

New Zealand lamb is Halal. Chicken supplied to KFC is also. There are others. You may not think you are eating halal meat, but you probably are.

#10 ·
Nearly all halal meat is slaughtered in the same way as any other non halal and nearly all Muslims in the west are fine with it. It is still stunned, contrary to what many believe. The only real difference is the animal must be pointing towards Mecca and prayers must be performed. Commercial abattoirs set up their machinery facing Mecca and play prayers over loudspeakers to cater for the halal market and will supply "non halal" meat too, when in reality it has been slaughtered in the same way.

Some very strict Muslims do not believe the aforementioned slaughter is halal, hence niche abattoirs and halal butchers. These represent a small percentage of the market.

New Zealand lamb is Halal. Chicken supplied to KFC is also. There are others. You may not think you are eating halal meat, but you probably are.
You're correct that it's all stunned before death but the problem is, stunning isn't an exact science. Non halal, you give the animal enough of a shock, that it's definitely stunned but possibly kills it out right before the shot to the head. Halal, the animal needs to be alive before cutting it's throat, so they only use enough current, to guarantee the animal doesn't die, but also means, it might not be unconscious when it's killed.

But as you say, unless you go looking for it, you're probably eating it.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I find the way halal meat is dispatched to be horrific and unnecessary. And it is extremely pervasive - it's on supermarket shelves, in butchers, on pizzas, in lasagne the lot. Trying to avoid it is almost impossible (unless you turn vegetarian). That said, having seen videos of 'normal' abattoirs, they don't look too nice places either with animals getting extremely distressed etc. I think in the West we are largely protected from the brutality of it all, and our main experience is to see it all nicely wrapped up and presented on the shelves. A few years ago I visited SE Asia and was at a barbecue restaurant - when they needed more meat, a pig was dragged around to the side of the shop, stabbed in the neck and then it's throat cut like it was nothing. Which to them living so close to their food is exactly what it was - nothing. It was butchered up right there and then and was on the grill minutes after it's death. It was all a bit disconcerting - particularly the noises it made. It wasn't killed that way for religious beliefs though - simply for practical reasons - it was just the way they have fed themselves for thousands of years.

In short, I guess we need meat (I know some would debate that) and it has to be killed and prepared. The Halal approach seems entirely unjustified and unnecessary though - simply because some bloke who had an imaginary friend said it had to be so millions of animals have met a gratuitously distressing death. I would rather see it banned.

#12 ·
I find the way halal meat is dispatched to be horrific and unnecessary. And it is extremely pervasive - it's on supermarket shelves, in butchers, on pizzas, in lasagne the lot. Trying to avoid it is almost impossible (unless you turn vegetarian). That said, having seen videos of 'normal' abattoirs, they don't look too nice places either with animals getting extremely distressed etc. I think in the West we are largely protected from the brutality of it all, and our main experience is to see it all nicely wrapped up and presented on the shelves. A few years ago I visited SE Asia and was at a barbecue restaurant - when they needed more meat, a pig was dragged around to the side of the shop, stabbed in the neck and then it's throat cut like it was nothing. Which to them living so close to their food is exactly what it was - nothing. It was butchered up right there and then and was on the grill minutes after it's death. It was all a bit disconcerting - particularly the noises it made. It wasn't killed that way for religious beliefs though - simply for practical reasons - it was just the way they have fed themselves for thousands of years.

In short, I guess we need meat (I know some would debate that) and it has to be killed and prepared. The Halal approach seems entirely unjustified and unnecessary though - simply because some bloke who had an imaginary friend said it had to be so millions of animals have met a gratuitously distressing death. I would rather see it banned.
Couldn't agree more.

#13 ·
i refuse to buy Halal meat, dont agree with the way the animal is killed. Do you honestly think in a slaughter house theres someone saying a prayer to each animal before its throats cut? No. Probably be some audio track on loop.

i even refuse to go to KFC as all their meat is now Halal.

i know Denmark has banned the killing of animals by this method, animal rights. Too right.

and why the feck do non muslim people have to change to suit muslim needs and beliefs?! Feck off.

#15 ·
i refuse to buy Halal meat, dont agree with the way the animal is killed. Do you honestly think in a slaughter house theres someone saying a prayer to each animal before its throats cut? No. Probably be some audio track on loop.

i even refuse to go to KFC as all their meat is now Halal.

i know Denmark has banned the killing of animals by this method, animal rights. Too right.

and why the feck do non muslim people have to change to suit muslim needs and beliefs?! Feck off.
Usually the meat is delivered to a skanky butcher's with poor hygiene standards by Muslims driving a 1992 transit with no wing mirrors and dried blood down their white coats :lol:

They usually support Jihad but only when white non Muslims aren't around...

#21 ·
I do. And it's really tasty. I think it's also important to point out I would personally have no issue with dispatching an animal in that way if I was going to eat it myself.

There's a halal butchers not far from my gym which I often go to and pick up meat from there that ends up costing about a 1/3rd of what it does my local butchers. And it tastes far better.

No issue personally but can see why others aren't keen.

#23 ·
Used to buy halal chicken from my local butchers several years back because it was cheaper in bulk. I stopped buying it though because it would almost always start going off before I had a chance to bag it and freeze it. Then when it was defrosted it would be tasteless and somewhat tough. Don't agree with the way the animal is slaughtered either.

On a side note, I bought some steaks from a farm shop up near the Lake District recently - local produce and although a bit more expensive they tasted amazing. Goes to show you get what you pay for and I'd choose this option every single time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.