Sign in to follow this  
BUFFMAN

Curry

It's Saturday night, so I'm having a curry.

Anyway, recently got a taste for a bit more spice, always used to go for the usual, butter chicken, korma, bhuna, tikka mosala, all the mild stuff.  What's something different you would suggest?  Something with a bit more kick?  Not a vindaloo or anything like that, I'm not man enough for that yet.  I had a garlic chilli chicken curry last week, and that was really good, nice kick in the balls, but not too hot.  Also what sides do you lot usually get?

8 minutes ago, BUFFMAN said:

Anyway, recently got a taste for a bit more spice, always used to go for the usual, butter chicken, korma, bhuna, tikka mosala, all the mild stuff.  What's something different you would suggest?  Something with a bit more kick?  Not a vindaloo or anything like that, I'm not man enough for that yet.  I had a garlic chilli chicken curry last week, and that was really good, nice kick in the balls, but not too hot.  Also what sides do you lot usually get?

Chicken dhansak Is lovely little bit Spicy and sweet, I have with Pilau Rice, Onion Barjis and a Garlic and Coriander Naan, so good! 

I usually like to add a tiny bit of my own Spicy sauce just to get it a little hotter. 

4 minutes ago, wylde99 said:

Chicken dhansak Is lovely little bit Spicy and sweet, I have with Pilau Rice, Onion Barjis and a Garlic and Coriander Naan, so good! 

I usually like to add a tiny bit of my own Spicy sauce just to get it a little hotter. 

Ah yeah! My wife was looking at that last week, as she always like the sweet n sour chicken hong kong style from the Chinese, though she's not so keen on Indian food, that might be a good choice.

30 minutes ago, Spieren said:

Try a Phal @BUFFMAN  About half as hot as a madras...

Just kidding. Don’t do this, you will die :lol:

Haha was going to have to come in and warn him If i didnt see you were joking at the bottom, Phal is brutal, will have you pouring in sweat and In agony within a few mouthfuls. 

37 minutes ago, Spieren said:

Try a Phal @BUFFMAN  About half as hot as a madras...

Just kidding. Don’t do this, you will die :lol:

My father in law always goes on about that, he's one of these people that will ask the restaurant to make it a bit hotter, but he can handle it.  You always have one of those mates that orders a really hot curry, showing off, then clearly doesn't enjoy it....But my father in law, he loves it ha ha!

I find them variable, a vindaloo from one curry house can have me sweating drips onto the plate while another can be almost tepid.

We always have a curry on a Saturday night and the one earlier this evening was a Dhansak from  a new place in town. Very disappointed, it was like the chef couldn't even be bothered.  £30 quid for a meal for two and they dish up rubbish like that - I wasn't happy.

Usually go for a chicken Jalfrezi when we have a Indian, hot enough and the addition of some veggies makes it a bit more interesting than just meat & sauce lol 

Dhansak for me, this was the only curry that I would eat when I first starting eating Indian food.

Most curry houses will tailor their dishes a bit so you can always ask for a less hot version of a dish to try it out. 

Jalfrezi is delicious but some can be quite hot.

You could ask for a Thali, a variety of small servings of dishes to try out so it wouldnt be a complete waste if some were too hot. 

On 10/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, BUFFMAN said:

At home I’ll make myself a chicken Rogan Josh as have tomatoes from my greenhouse. 
My favourite main course when out is a Lamb Tawa. 
When ordering I’ll go mild but I’ll often get a chilli naan bread so I can control the heat this way without spoiling my meal if I decide it’s a bit hot, you could get 1/2 chilli and 1/2 garlic even. 
Most of the time I get more starter and share mains. Maybe large mixed grill and fish pakoras. 
If in a larger group(3 or more) get a few safe dishes then try a dish or 3 and just try the different ones so if one isn’t great or too hot you’ll have still have had a great amount to eat and you’ll have experienced many different dishes.