BUFFMAN

If you could go back to when you first started training...

1 minute ago, BUFFMAN said:

What would you do differently? Or what advice would you give to your younger, newbie gym self?

To not get fat and eat to much as I did starting out but I suppose most do , newb mistake but you soon learn 

That’s about it really . Always been happy with my training and my progress strength and muscle gains in my 15 years of training . 

Probably wouldn't of gone so heavy on the squats over the years.

Nackered my knees and back to a degree over time.

I would tell them to train smart and use correct form always.

Longevity is what's important and not just the here and now.

Danny

1. Learn to program effectively rather than following the $hit in Flex magazine.

2. Train more than 3 days a week, train bodyparts more frequently.

3. Learn to track macros/calories effectively

I’d start a cycle before I even start the gym, because that’s supposed to be how it’s done now a day’s going from what I’ve been seeing  

but srs if I could go back, probably only thing I’d change is my training. I’d have started with a full body, then move to an upper lower, then something like a ppl then go from there. Instead I just went straight in  on a typical bro split kind of workout. i do believe if I went about training in a different way results would have been much better and I’d look much better now 

5 minutes ago, Spieren said:

What’s a Bro split Bud.? Muscle groups.?

Yeah mate like chest tris one day, Back bis the next, legs, shoulders etc. Basically training one body part a day hitting them only once a week. 

3 minutes ago, Simon90 said:

Yeah mate like chest tris one day, Back bis the next, legs, shoulders etc. Basically training one body part a day hitting them only once a week. 

Thanks Bud, I guessed so. I’ve trained that way since my second year. Love it, seems to work perfectly for me. 
Maybe if I just wanted to maintain, I’d consider a PPL and 2 days cardio split. 

7 hours ago, BUFFMAN said:

What would you do differently? Or what advice would you give to your younger, newbie gym self?

I don’t think I’d change anything. I got some PT/coaching from a comp BBer, he pretty much set me on the right track and MADE me cut before bulk. I didn’t touch steroids until my 4th year. 
Id advise newbies to do similar :thumbup1:

49 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I don’t think I’d change anything. I got some PT/coaching from a comp BBer, he pretty much set me on the right track and MADE me cut before bulk. I didn’t touch steroids until my 4th year. 
Id advise newbies to do similar :thumbup1:

I'm four years into my training now.  Though I'm 36, probably a bit too late to be starting all that, right?

9 hours ago, BUFFMAN said:

Or what advice would you give to your younger, newbie gym self?

I'll be honest, when I first started out I knew nothing about progressive overload, I did a basic bro split and lifted what I felt like, no structure, no tracking.

With added cardio I was pretty fit and healthy but gained no real size.... no internet back then and didn't even buy BB mags, so was a little lost for quite a while.

Would advise compounds as programme basis, use progressive overload, cardio after weights/seperate day, not before and definitely to eat more.

1) no gear

2) no supplements 

3) carbs only pre and post training

4) moderate cardio 3x per week

5) train every day full body - include oly weightlifting/strongman stuff

6) limit sugar intake

I did gear 2 months into training and my anti-estrogen must have been fake or underdosed, developed gyno and acne everywhere - will never touch them again and I advise extreme caution when deciding to use gear for noobies.

39 minutes ago, spod said:

1) no gear

2) no supplements 

3) carbs only pre and post training

4) moderate cardio 3x per week

5) train every day full body - include oly weightlifting/strongman stuff

6) limit sugar intake

Why carbs only pre and post training? 

I do wonder what the 13 year old me would have thought the day after my first real workout, when I was in agony and could hardly walk, if the older me had gone up to him and said, hey guess what - you're going to be doing this for at least the next 45 years....