Sign in to follow this  
benjiv50

HIIT vs Treadmill jogging whilst calorie counting

Good afternoon everyone,

Recently I decided to sort myself out and lose weight, I enlisted the help of a P.T I used to kickbox with and so far I have lost nearly a stone in 4 weeks. Originally he told me to stick to a set deficit and do 10k steps a day. Due to my job, parenting and lifestyle, although I probably do a fair few K of steps per day, I couldn't just go out of the house to walk 10k so I decided to replace the walking with one hours jogging on a treadmill which seems to be getting results, I am not sure if the jogging will burn more kcal than 10k steps but I'd assume so.

I am now at the point where the jogging everyday is becoming an issue due to aches and ankle pain so I want to replace 3 weekly jogs with HIIT sessions however I am concerned I won't be burning enough calories once I replace the 1hour jogging with 30 mins of HIIT. I am sure this gets asked a lot, how can I calculate if 30 mins HIIT will burn enough kcal, all I find online is conflicting info, I suppose at the end of the day if I burn equal or more kcal than I would doing 10k steps per day then it's all good, I just want to make sure I am maximizing the effort I am putting in!

Thanks, Benji

1 hour ago, benjiv50 said:

I am now at the point where the jogging everyday is becoming an issue due to aches and ankle pain so I want to replace 3 weekly jogs with HIIT sessions however I am concerned I won't be burning enough calories once I replace the 1hour jogging with 30 mins of HIIT. I am sure this gets asked a lot, how can I calculate if 30 mins HIIT will burn enough kcal, all I find online is conflicting info, I suppose at the end of the day if I burn equal or more kcal than I would doing 10k steps per day then it's all good, I just want to make sure I am maximizing the effort I am putting in!

Hi Benji, I could probably offer you loads of equations and graphs if I looked hard enough, but I’m just gonna go ahead and say yes, 30 mins HIIT will equal one hour of aerobic exercise. But don’t take my word for it, get one of them HR monitor watches (Fitbit type) for £25 from Amazon. 
At the end of the day, exercise is using energy, this energy is provided in the form of calories, whether food or body fat. 
How are you planning on doing HIIT.? Also on treadmill.? 

Looks like you making good progress Bud, keep it up :thumbup1:

Hi Spieren, thanks for your reply. the hiit session won't be done on the treadmill but I will now change my jogging from steady state jogging to  a HIIT treadmill workout, I have got a samsung galaxy fit watch too

11 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

HIIT treadmill workout

Not sure I like the sound of this as you said you’re having ankle problems. Maybe I read it wrong.. :confused1:

11 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

I have got a samsung galaxy fit watch too

Even better, does it have HR.?

9 minutes ago, Spieren said:

Not sure I like the sound of this as you said you’re having ankle problems. Maybe I read it wrong.. :confused1:

Even better, does it have HR.?

If I know i'll burn more calories I'll stop whining hehe, yep I think so

Ah a spanner has been thrown into the works! I have read HIIT should not be done every day so this means that if I choose to do a HIIT treadmill workout instead of normal jogging (which I will do because instead of taking a boring 1 hour it'll only take 30 mins now) then I need to find a non HIIT workout to do 4 or 3 times a week which will burn the same calories as walking 10k steps would!

At the end of the day the amount of calorie deficit dictates weight loss.

With that said and in reply to op’s question the only thing I can say is this from my personal experience.

1. How many fat cu**s do you see walking or jogging?

2. How many fat cu**s do you see doing hiit classes?

Ime the answer to 1 is loads. The answer to 2 is few. On that basis I aver that 2 is the better option. Good luck with it.

2 hours ago, benjiv50 said:

3 times a week

I do hiit 3 times a week. I’m not fat. If you do it 3 times a week whilst eating sensibly you won’t be fat either.