Sign in to follow this  
lewdylewd

Where to buy boiler + fitting

If you’re getting it fitted, I’d defo look into getting your plumber to supply. 

Why.? You could be leaving yourself wide open to fitting problems. From pipe work being arse about face to water pressure etc. 

39 minutes ago, lewdylewd said:

Any tips?

Straight from manufacturers?

third party?

Be careful as some gas fitters won’t touch what they’ve not supplied. 
Best bet is to call a few plumbers, ideally one man bands. 

I just re-read. I’m guessing from your question that some suppliers offer fitting. I’d be very careful, I’m guessing (and only guessing) they use sub contractors and pay them X amount per job, all ok if it’s straightforward but they’re not gonna go the extra mile for nothing. 
Use a well established independent plumber that values reputation. 

Be careful. Good Luck :thumbup1:

If you don't know a plumber, Mybuilder is pretty good. I've just recently had my mother's kitchen refitted, got the fitter, a tiler and electrician off there.  Also had a new ring main in my own kitchen done by an electrician off there and parque flooring in my hallway. 

All very good jobs TBF. They have a feedback system a bit like Ebay. Decent prices and I've never had a bad job off there. Mainly Eastern Europeans but they're good grafters. 

Mybuilder the best one by far out of those type sites in my experience.

Also another tip . Look for the boiler you want, don't buy it , then stick your job on my builder saying you will supply the boiler and get a quote to fit  the boiler of your choice. 

That way you can gauge what the plumbers say about your chosen boiler before you buy it.

I'll pretty much guarantee you'll get the boiler cheaper if you buy it yourself rather than get the plumber to get it. 

4 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

If you don't know a plumber, Mybuilder is pretty good. 

I second this. We moved in to our new house a couple of years ago and needed plumbers, electricians, kitchen fitters etc and MyBuilder was brilliant. Seems a lot of younger guys looking to get established respond on there and give good prices to get the jobs. Plus they want good feedback to be left on the site so they do a good job too. Didn’t get stung with any of them.

2 minutes ago, KETONES said:

Get a Worcester...reliable 

I had one of those for 15 years at my last house and never serviced it until we were leaving (was in a bedroom so I didn’t want it on my conscience if something was wrong with it). The guy took it to bits and told me it looked brand new inside. Didn’t need a thing doing to it.

If your boiler is older than 5 years and your house can be insulated with either cavity wall or under floor insulation theres a scheme in place called Eco 3 where you can apply for a boiler and the insulation to be supplied and fitted free of charge,

it’s totally legit and is backed by government and funded by the big energy suppliers 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/eco3-innovation

theres a lot of gas company’s that have jumped on it and some ask for a contribution of anywhere between £100 and grand,  it’s Free you don’t to need to pay a contribution so research one in your area that dosnt ask for it . 

2 hours ago, YB81 said:

If your boiler is older than 5 years and your house can be insulated with either cavity wall or under floor insulation theres a scheme in place called Eco 3 where you can apply for a boiler and the insulation to be supplied and fitted free of charge,

it’s totally legit and is backed by government and funded by the big energy suppliers 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/eco3-innovation

theres a lot of gas company’s that have jumped on it and some ask for a contribution of anywhere between £100 and grand,  it’s Free you don’t to need to pay a contribution so research one in your area that dosnt ask for it . 

I’m in Scotland there’s only help up here if your on benefits tax credits etc.

Same as everything especially up here.

Someone could earn half what I do in a year but if they took advantage of all the schemes etc they could probably end up almost as well of, for the last few k of my wages I take home next to nothing. In Scotland we pay 53% on everything between about 45k and 50k. Then after 50k I have to pay back almost 50% of what I earn until I’ve paid back everything my wife received in child benefit the year previous etc etc I could go on.  

Thats a completely different rant though

2 hours ago, MickeyE said:

If you don't know a plumber, Mybuilder is pretty good. I've just recently had my mother's kitchen refitted, got the fitter, a tiler and electrician off there.  Also had a new ring main in my own kitchen done by an electrician off there and parque flooring in my hallway. 

All very good jobs TBF. They have a feedback system a bit like Ebay. Decent prices and I've never had a bad job off there. Mainly Eastern Europeans but they're good grafters. 

Mybuilder the best one by far out of those type sites in my experience.

Also another tip . Look for the boiler you want, don't buy it , then stick your job on my builder saying you will supply the boiler and get a quote to fit  the boiler of your choice. 

That way you can gauge what the plumbers say about your chosen boiler before you buy it.

I'll pretty much guarantee you'll get the boiler cheaper if you buy it yourself rather than get the plumber to get it. 

Thanks I’ve put in for quotes on MyBuilder and looking promising already.

Looks like if I buy a boiler from Screwfix for about 1k I’ll get it fitted for £600 from people on there.

Same boiler all in one including fitting best quote about 2k so far, so looks like buy and fit separate is best.

2 hours ago, Kazza61 said:

I second this. We moved in to our new house a couple of years ago and needed plumbers, electricians, kitchen fitters etc and MyBuilder was brilliant. Seems a lot of younger guys looking to get established respond on there and give good prices to get the jobs. Plus they want good feedback to be left on the site so they do a good job too. Didn’t get stung with any of them.

Thanks mate quick look so far seems to confirm this.

9 hours ago, lewdylewd said:

I’m in Scotland there’s only help up here if your on benefits tax credits etc.

Same as everything especially up here.

Someone could earn half what I do in a year but if they took advantage of all the schemes etc they could probably end up almost as well of, for the last few k of my wages I take home next to nothing. In Scotland we pay 53% on everything between about 45k and 50k. Then after 50k I have to pay back almost 50% of what I earn until I’ve paid back everything my wife received in child benefit the year previous etc etc I could go on.  

Thats a completely different rant though

Simple, get a worse job then you won't have to worry 

Personally I wouldnt install a boiler the client supplied as it jist gets messy. - especially if the boiler faulty etc it becomes my problem and frankly its less margin for me.

Depending on Kw duty and boiler type e.g combi or system boiler, id charge between 1500-2000 to supply and install abd sign off, this would include minor pipework alterations, minor glue alterations etc to leave a good finished product 

Fir what its wirth you can buy a boiler for 600 to 1800 quid abd everything between , depends on whats needed abd how high spec you want to go etc.

3 hours ago, Cam93 said:

Personally I wouldnt install a boiler the client supplied as it jist gets messy. - especially if the boiler faulty etc it becomes my problem and frankly its less margin for me.

Depending on Kw duty and boiler type e.g combi or system boiler, id charge between 1500-2000 to supply and install abd sign off, this would include minor pipework alterations, minor glue alterations etc to leave a good finished product 

Fir what its wirth you can buy a boiler for 600 to 1800 quid abd everything between , depends on whats needed abd how high spec you want to go etc.

Why would it get messy if the customer buys a brand new boiler ? It will still be under manufacturers warranty anyway.

There's as much chance of a brand new boiler being faulty whether you or your customer buys it.

No disrespect but it's lines like that , that makes me choose Eastern Europeans over Brit tradesman the majority of the time. 

24 minutes ago, MickeyE said:

Why would it get messy if the customer buys a brand new boiler ? It will still be under manufacturers warranty anyway.

There's as much chance of a brand new boiler being faulty whether you or your customer buys it.

No disrespect but it's lines like that , that makes me choose Eastern Europeans over Brit tradesman the majority of the time. 

Because there's a problem with the boiler, they call out the installer (me)

I test it etc, its faulty from manufacture.

All of a sudden I've been called out fir something not my fault, get lumped with arranging for new parts/ changing them and beed to come back again once parts are sent out- all of which you cabt really charge for 

If I supplied it, it would have a small mark up on my cost which would cover me for the above in such an instance so its no problem.