Sam R

More protein required on cycle?

Just posting to get some opinions before I start my next gaining phase in a few weeks (test p, primo e, anavar),

As anabolics increase protein synthesis, do you think more protein is required when on cycle to fuel this extra protein synthesis or is the 1g/lb of body weight enough?

I know that in a surplus, protein is generally kept a bit lower compared to a deficit because adequate carbohydrate intake is protein-sparing therefore protein is not being converted for energy and wasted. But as the hormones increase the rate of protein synthesis, I guess protein would need to be higher than a natural to fuel the extra tissue gain.

what protein (g) per day do people on here use when on cycle and in a surplus? (Including protein from non-animal sources: rice , oats etc)

If I get at least 200g a day on a gaining phase I'm happy. 1g/lb is the rule of thumb, which of course was likely made up by supplement companies in order to sell more protein.

20 minutes ago, MrBrightside said:

No. No protein needed on gear. It creates its own. 

Is that created through photosynthesis? 

Sorry I just like spurting random big words. 

P.S. Yes, I am fun at parties

Edit: No I am not available for hire. 

2 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

Bloody hell mate

That's a s**t loada protein

Bet your mrs hates using the bog after you in the morning :lol:

Yes mate it’s getting abit of a chore now, I’ve had a few days of it being slightly lower with higher carbs but I prefer how I feel and look on higher protein. 

I always leave her a nice tasty log to admire before I go too work :lol:

10 minutes ago, Simon90 said:

Yes mate it’s getting abit of a chore now, I’ve had a few days of it being slightly lower with higher carbs but I prefer how I feel and look on higher protein. 

I always leave her a nice tasty log to admire before I go too work :lol:

Haha nice mate lol

So you say 2g per lb...

How much does that work out at?

My Protein is c. 350g from direct sources. 1.5g per lb of LBM. I'm eating just over that. My diet was done for me tho and it works. High protein moderate carbs, less than 50g of fat, majority of which comes from salmon pre bed. 

Just now, Cronus said:

Have you always done this? 

I play around with it this year jan to June/July I was going up to 450g & carbs around the same then tried lowering protein to ~280 and pushing carbs up to 600+ and I gained better with higher carbs tbh

7 minutes ago, CaneCorsoX2 said:

My Protein is c. 350g from direct sources. 1.5g per lb of LBM. I'm eating just over that. My diet was done for me tho and it works. High protein moderate carbs, less than 50g of fat, majority of which comes from salmon pre bed. 

So is this all within your calorie goals...just with P, C & F adjusted accordingly? I'm assuming it is?

I actually used to be not far off this...around 300P, 80F and the rest made up with carbs

Might switch back tbf as now I'm into my 40s the fast metabolism seems to have slowed quite a bit lol

13 minutes ago, Acerico30 said:

I play around with it this year jan to June/July I was going up to 450g & carbs around the same then tried lowering protein to ~280 and pushing carbs up to 600+ and I gained better with higher carbs tbh

I was going to say. I've lowered my protein this time round, whilst actually dieting to like 0.8g/lb and noticed no real difference, apart from I no longer have the odd bit of horrendous gas 

10 minutes ago, Cronus said:

I was going to say. I've lowered my protein this time round, whilst actually dieting to like 0.8g/lb and noticed no real difference, apart from I no longer have the odd bit of horrendous gas 

I’ve never considered going lower than 200g on a cut, usually keep it to 1g p/lb . But that’s the reason I tried lower protein higher carb. Even without tracking 3 years ago natty I was probably getting in ~ 350/400g, but digesting it seems harder now at 31 than 27/8

23 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

So is this all within your calorie goals...just with P, C & F adjusted accordingly? I'm assuming it is?

I actually used to be not far off this...around 300P, 80F and the rest made up with carbs

Might switch back tbf as now I'm into my 40s the fast metabolism seems to have slowed quite a bit lol

Yeah so basically protein stays constant. 

If I want to gain I adjust carbs up to c600, peak bulk I've been up to 800-900.  

Fat always stays low. 

Current breakdown and now eating about maintanence:

P350

C 400

F 50

Off days:

P 350

C 250

F 100

I literally just adjust the carbs to determine body weight/goals. 

9 minutes ago, CaneCorsoX2 said:

Fat always stays low. 

P350

C 400

F 50

Off days:

P 350

C 250

F 100

Do you naturally have a good appetite, or do you find you have to force feed? 

14 minutes ago, CaneCorsoX2 said:

Fat always stays low. 

P350

C 400

F 50

Off days:

P 350

C 250

F 100

So you maintain at about 3500 then mate...same as me

I might switch up a bit

Do you find recovery time any longer with.less carbs?

15 minutes ago, CaneCorsoX2 said:

Fat always stays low. 

P350

C 400

F 50

Off days:

P 350

C 250

F 100

Seems to be common advice. Keep protein the same regardless of current goal and change carbs. My coach is reviewing my cals weekly and to be fair since gyms opened they’ve been upped every week, apart from a slight increase I. Protein/fats the majority of the increases are from carbs. 

51 minutes ago, PsychedUp said:

Wow I must be really lacking in protein. 250g a day at 110kg bodyweight 

Feel the same mate. 100kg and 220 protein. Always gained alright on this 1g/lb but am going to up about 50g extra this cycle to see if it makes a difference. 

I’m currently doing c5000kcal

350-450 protein.

550-650 carbs

80-120 fats (healthy as possible).

Just been trying to max out a TTM cycle.  Will be cutting shortly so back down to c3000kcal :(