Sign in to follow this  
DRKE

Do you track your Training Volume

Just wondered, as I’m unable to find much online to suggest people bother. Basically at the minute I’m running a very basic Leg Day as I’m training with a Broken Wrist, so I’m just trying to keep myself interested and progressing.

Yesterday I managed a PB on the Leg Press, but really struggled with fatigue once I hit the Leg Extensions. Really struggled. Left me a bit deflated until I calculated my Total Training Volume and noted I’d lifted more volume this session than any of my previous sessions despite flagging on Leg Extensions and a bit on Hamstring Curls. 

Is it worth tracking Volume? Or is a waste of time and better to stick with sets and reps to monitor growth?  Interested to know how others track linear progression etc. 

1 hour ago, swole troll said:

By tracking your sets and reps you ARE tracking your training volume.

And everyone should be, weight's, sets and reps in order to keep a track of progression and strive for overload.

Thanks Swole. Was probably a big Rookie mistake by me, but I’d always been so focused on individual sets and reps that I’d been neglecting to look at the overall session in terms of Volume. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

20 minutes ago, DRKE said:

Thanks Swole. Was probably a big Rookie mistake by me, but I’d always been so focused on individual sets and reps that I’d been neglecting to look at the overall session in terms of Volume. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

You need to focus progress on individual lifts, not total weight shifted over the whole session. 

30 minutes ago, Youdontknowme said:

You need to focus progress on individual lifts, not total weight shifted over the whole session. 

Ah interesting, so this goes back to my original point and is exactly what I’ve been doing since day dot. So I should keep doing it exactly as I have been and ignore overall session volume? 

10 minutes ago, DRKE said:

Ah interesting, so this goes back to my original point and is exactly what I’ve been doing since day dot. So I should keep doing it exactly as I have been and ignore overall session volume? 

That’s my understanding. Select a bunch of exercises , progress on them for as long as you can . When you stall on a particular exercise (and all other variables are in check) switch out that exercise. 

if you did a single leg day and you’re overall weight moved was 1000kg and increasing  , but your quad focused exercises had stalled for weeks, you have a problem even though overall session is progressing