Sign in to follow this  
rsd147

Advice on deadlift

Hi all,

Been really trying to improve deadlift but what I am seeing is I can do a lot of reps on a certain weight but then increasing slightly, I am struggling to lift from the ground i.e. 140kgx11, 150kgx8 but then 160kg/170kg I struggle with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Concentrate on the 3-5 rep range and do atleast 2 deadlift sessions a week. Various studies have confirmed the beneficial nature of high frequency training but different methods work for different people.

On 23/09/2020 at 11:18 AM, rsd147 said:

Hi all,

Been really trying to improve deadlift but what I am seeing is I can do a lot of reps on a certain weight but then increasing slightly, I am struggling to lift from the ground i.e. 140kgx11, 150kgx8 but then 160kg/170kg I struggle with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you can do 140 for 11 you can easily pull 180 mate :thumb

What do your sets look like? I.e 140x11 followed by 150x8? Could be simply gassing out. If you want to get stronger, make sure your rest is 3-5mins long (ATP/Creatine phosphate recovery) Reps ranges above 6 can easily gas you out. Maybe lower your rep range? Doing accessories will help out to. And, might sound counterintuitive but not deadlifting for a week or two can help too. Take your pick! I did all the above and broke my pb with an extra rep on top.

There hasn't been confirmation saying deadlifting 2x a week is better than 1x a week or vice versa, previous person said it on a different thread with some study which said it *might be* better. Deadlift as often/little as you want but remember the CNS can take a while to recover (more than a week if it was a brutal pull).

Really not sure what it is, the first rep is always the hardest for me including the initial part of getting it off the floor but after that its okay and can rep through it. Setup maybe an issue so perhaps need to video it.  

Ive found it isnt just deadlift, it seems to be in general across all weights, I just cannot seem to get stronger.

I am certainly eating enough as I track but Ive found it isnt just deadlift, it seems to be in general across all weights, I just cannot seem to get stronger. I have been training for years now and tried various programs including high frequency etc but nothing seems to work. 

I am 6ft weighing around 93kg.

High rep deadlifts are counter productive imo.

Stick to a rep range of 3 - 5, concentrate on good form, proper bracing, pushing the ground away while pulling the bar up, lat engagement etc.. 

Do you have a powerlifting gym near you? It might be an idea to go there and watch those who compete train and and what form they use. 

51 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

High rep deadlifts are counter productive imo.

Stick to a rep range of 3 - 5, concentrate on good form, proper bracing, pushing the ground away while pulling the bar up, lat engagement etc.. 

Do you have a powerlifting gym near you? It might be an idea to go there and watch those who compete train and and what form they use. 

This. I feel high rep deadlifts are more prone to form breakdown